Silat Lincah

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Verx, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Did a search and found nothing on it so here we go.

Does anyone know anything about Silat Lincah?

What is the focus of Silat Lincah, joints, submissions, knife work ect?

Is it typically taught with contact or little contact? Drills or more free fighting? How realistic is it to todays enviroment? How much does it vary between teachers?

Just need some general info because I know nothing about Silat yet alone a particualr type.

Cheers.:)

2. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

i know a little about silat lincah
    What is the focus of Silat Lincah, joints, submissions, knife work ect?lincah is described as a pukulan art, so its focus is on striking. it is regarded as a fighting art so it focuses on that rather than submissions. it / we use a variety of weapons, parang, kerambit, tongkat, and knife.

Is it typically taught with contact or little contact? typically i dont kow how it is taught now. i was taught it full contact, and that is how i teach it.Drills or more free fighting?because it is considered a fighting art, there are few drills as such. it is taught as buah and pecahan to allow the students to train distancing, timing etc all the time. How realistic is it to todays enviroment?i can big it up if you like, but i honestly think it is an effective art for the street. i am not sure it is good for the MMA circuit so it depends on what environment you are talking.. How much does it vary between teachers? it varies a lot. silat i have been told is like cooking.. same recipe will give you different results.

Just need some general info because I know nothing about Silat yet alone a particualr type.where are you based? you are asking specific questions about a style for someone who doesnt know anything about silat. it si my experience that many styles vary in their teaching, are semi or full contact depending on their emphasis.. competition self defence etc.

3. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Hi Verx,

Is it specifically Silat Lincah that you are interested in or Silat in general?
    BTW the term Silat covers a lot of ground and is a somewhat generic term for Indo-Malay martial arts. However, there is a degree of commonality. Either way, Glenn Lobo is very well respected in the silat community.

There is often a lot of confusion for the uninitiated who view 'silat' on youtube and the like. Art, performance, and combat are sometimes not easily distinguished or separated from each other-sometimes purposefully. For example, Silat Pulut (lit. rice silat!) is a stylized performance usually given at a Malay wedding. LOL I've seen "what kind of fighting is that?" discussions on some forums:rolleyes:.

The combat aspect is usually very direct and I think that it is not possible to learn silat without contact.

(BTW some eloquent posts on the 42 day discussion. I found it hard to believe you are 16! I mean that genuinely and in no way do I intend to patronise:))

Salam Hormat

4. glennlobo

glennlobo Valued Member

Training starts again this week.. thursday nights 7-9.30.. bring your stick and groinguard!!
    Glenn