Silat Lian Padukan

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Bayani, May 12, 2004.

1. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Anyone famililiar with this Malaysian Silat system? I was told that it's a Silat system very much like Muay Thai methods of training. Simplistic to the point. it's based on 4 techniques which is trainined to be used effectively under ny cicumstance to include 2 man and 4 man fighting. Sounds very interesting.

2. amirul_tekpi79

amirul_tekpi79 Valued Member

Lian padukan

Peace to all,

Silat Lian Padukan comes from the state of Johor, the southernmost state in Peninsular Malaysia.

If i'm not mistaken, it is a mixture/combination of styles that includes various silat styles and Muay Thai, with Silat Lian as its base.

Even the literal meaning of Padukan in english is 'to combine/mix'.

This silat or any other Silat Lian (or Buah Pukul) style are well known in Malaysia as a very straight-forward silat. Sometimes we Malays like to call them 'Malay Boxing'.

A couple of months back, an online silat friend of mine went to a Silat Lian Padukan's grading ceremony. He witnessed the grueling test whereby the 'pesilat' had to fight with 4 of his/her instructors simultaneously!

peace

3. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Part of their training is to perfect the 4 basic techniques and fight agaisnt multiple opponents. tekpi? Are you familiar with Kuntao tekpi? Also another malaysian system of Silat? My silat instructor is finishing this system. He's moving back to malaysia to finish the system. :cry: it will ne awhile till he returns.

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  4. amirul_tekpi79

Tekpi

Peace to all,

Yup, i'm a pesilat of Silat Tekpi (or Silat Kuntau Tekpi, it's 'official' name).

You can read my writings on Silat Tekpi in the threads 'Here some thoughts' and 'Silat Animals'.

Where are you from Bayani? Is your silat instructor a Malaysian too? Are you sure he's learning the same style as ours? cause there are other silat styles in Malaysia that uses the name Tekpi.

peace

5. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Well I made sure to say "kuntau" tekpi and not just silat tekpi. This is what I learned of the format of training:

The sequential order seems to be traingular in the sense that complexity leads to simplicity at the hgihest form

You start with-all locks-you learn all the basic offense and counter offense and angles of attacks that use locks. Then you learn the Counters to the locks you learned which include entries and counter attacks that lead to the next phase - One simple basic attack so that you really won't need to use the locks or counter locks that you learned at the start for grappling and striking.

Not he is not malaysian but is a Muslim and lived there for wuite some time to be accepted to learn Silat from different systems. It was very interesting just how hard it is to break into the inner circles of the Silat world. I'm sure you know what I mean....Just read your posts, Good stuff!

Last edited: May 12, 2004
  6. amirul_tekpi79

hmm

Peace to all,

Bayani, where in Malaysia will your instructor train Silat Kuntau Tekpi? Who's his teacher? if he's training in Kuala Lumpur, then i might know his teacher :)

also, what belt is your instructor right now?

peace

7. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

Belts? They use belts? Hmmm, I don't think he is a student in that way, he has six months left to finish the system. He is already a well versed practitioner in Silat and FMA His training is not so much to perfect the art but to be exposed to many silat systems that have interest in having him learn their systems for certain reasons by the higher ups. , I'll pm you with more info on this.

8. amirul_tekpi79

Are you sure?

Peace to all,

Maybe we are talking about two different silat here? Maybe the style your instructor is learning is Kuntao Tekpi but our style is Silat Tekpi (again, Silat Kuntau Tekpi is only a registration/organizational name)

Silat Tekpi (you can see our logo at the picture section) has 5 levels. First is White belt ('talipinggang') or sash ('bengkung'). In this level, we learn 8 Tapak (more akin to Jurus), Belebat 1 (more like Bunga), Buah Kombat, 6 Tangkisan and 21 Buah Silat Tekpi.

The second level, Yellow belt/sash, we learn another 21 Buah Silat Tekpi, other Belebat(s), some Pentas (pre-choreographed one to one fights) and introduction to Tekpi (the 'Sai-like' weapon).

The third level is Red belt/sash. Once you reached this level, one can be an instructor. In this level, one will learn 42 Buah Makan-balik, Tekpi weapon etc.

The fourth level is Brown belt/sash. The final level is Black belt/sash.

The official name of our silat style is 'Persatuan Seni Silat Kuntau Tekpi Malaysia'. The original name is Silat Tekpi (even our present logo used this original name). The reason belt/sash system was implemented is to abide to the organizational standard set up by the Malaysian government.

peace

9. fisken

fisken New Member

Dear Bayani,

I would appreciate if you could get in touch with me. I live in Kuala Lumpur, and I've been doing Lian Padukan for the past year, and have also practiced both Pekiti Tirsia Kali and Doce Pares Eskrima. I would be very interested in meeting your instructor when he is in Malaysia.

10. amirul_tekpi79

Apa khabar fisken?

Peace to all,

Hello fisken!

Where in KL are you staying? With whom do you train Lian Padukan? Cikgu Yazid? Cikgu Hasyim?

Salaam Persilatan
    peace

11. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Do you mean Guro Omar Hakeem?

Salam hormat to all,

To Bayani, I don't want to seem presumptuous but, is your teacher Guro Omar Hakeem? If so, then that solves a lot of what Amirul and Fisken have been wondering about. If not, then I apologise. As Fisken says, he would be very happy to meet Guro Omar, not because he's also a fellow PTK practitioner, but also because Fisken studied from him when Guro Omar was here in Malaysia! Add that to the fact that I, too studied PTK from him privately at his apartment for three months. In another context, I also studied Silat Kuntau Tekpi WITH Guro Omar. Unfortunately, he only attended a few classes. If it IS the same person we're talking about, rest assured, Kuntau Tekpi DOES have a coloured bengkung (belting) system and takes a lot longer than six months to complete. However, what Guro Omar was probably talking about when he referred to the pyramid-like structure of the training was Silat Cekak. Strangely, when we met, he showed me a similar but historically different form of the art, which I knew intimately. It is unfortunate that we haven't been able to locate the man who taught his teacher this art to this day. If it IS him we're talking about, please convey my salams to him. And if he asks who it's from, just ask him if he can already pronounce Bunga properly? Used to hurt my ears when he said it. Ciao!

Saiful Azraq

12. amirul_tekpi79

Glad you are with us!

Peace to all,

How are you brother Saiful! Glad that you are here! Please do share your experience with us, especially about the Lian Padukan test. Were you there during the grading ceremony?

peace

13. Saiful Azraq

Saiful Azraq Valued Member

Lian Padukan

Salam hormat,

I apologise for the late reply. Didn't realise the question was for me. Duh! To answer your question, yes, I was at the Lian Padukan grading ceremony and it was fun to watch, since I'm not even a Lian Padukan practitioner. We felt honoured to even be there.

If I remember it right, it started of with mass salat Isha' with guru utama Haji Hasyim leading the congregation. Then, it was foodie time. I think we ate enough to get thrown out but, you know, politeness and all that. Then, the show started.

The person to khatam that night was Yazid Abdul Rani, presently the representative guru for Selangor and Kuala Lumpur. He had to present all of the empty hand syllabus (shadow boxing, not sparring) from beginning to end, which is no mean feat. Accompanying him were senior students and lower belts.

As he progressed, the group dwindled as he moved to more complex and advanced patterns, leaving him with the instructors to continue the demonstration. After that was over, five senior instructors crowded him and began attacking full force, a couple even simultaneously, which puts a big spanner in the one-by-one attack hypothesis. Cikgu Yazid managed to hold his own quite well and eventually received their blessings to complete his studies. Brutal as heck!

Then, Haji Hasyim completed the ceremony with a flower and perfume bath and read to him passages from the Quran detailing his responsibilities and certain secrets of the Lian Padukan.

Salam persilatan,

Saiful Azraq

14. dark

dark New Member

yes

i have just started training this style and its my first martial art class ever :).
    i think its a bit of a baptism of fire as its a bit relentless and as far as i can tell most martial arts arent quite as harsh from the offset but i dont stop smiling through a whole session very enjoyable . :D

15. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hi guys,

Is there anyone in London teaching this system of silat?

Regards,

Cat

16. Khatami

Khatami Valued Member

Hi Catman,
    There is a small group training informally in West London and a more organised group in West Sussex. If you want more details please pm me.
    Thanks
    Nigel Sutton

17. decanted

decanted New Member

This is an Awesome Martial Art,
    I started to learn this and got to the 4th Juros, unfortunately my teacher has gone back to being a student and was let down by a few students also :(

I would be interested in finding out more about the class in West London too. :D

18. Catman

Catman Valued Member

Hello Nigel,

Any more chances for those details in Silat Lian Padukan classes in terms of location and classes?

Many thanks,

Catman

19. lianpadukan_jb

lianpadukan_jb New Member

hi guys,

i just found this forum page of martial arts. actually i teach this lian padukan silat.

tq.