Silat for Martial Arts beginners?

Discussion in 'Silat' started by pachanga, Sep 10, 2004.

1. pachanga

pachanga Valued Member

Quick question - is Silat an appropriate art to study as a martial arts novice? Or do most students already have knowledge of other arts?

Longer follow-up questions:

Is it a useful art for self-defence in every day situations? Obviously a Silat master would have no trouble defending himself but I mean more in the early stages - does it teach practical techniques, of for example focus more on weapons (which I wouldn't be carrying on the bus, for instance).

This is perhaps too general a question as it probably depends on styles, individual teachers, but I'll ask it anyway: what's the atmosphere at a "typical" silat class? If we take the atmospheres of a very traditional Japanese school, where students tend to be very deferential to the teacher, order and etiquette are key etc, as one pole, and the atmosphere of a western "self defence class" (pretty laid back, wear what you want etc) as the other, where would the typical Silat class fall? Or is it on another axis all together?

I'm based in London so if anyone knows of classes there it might make sense to answer my questions in reference to them.

Apologies if these are silly or offensive questions/statements, no offence meant.
    Thanks,
    Pach

2. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Pachanga,

London is a big place, but if your within reach of Hendon, then please feel free to pop into EastWest Studios. It's a full time Silat Martial Arts Academy that is headed by Steve Benitez.

The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming, and the classes, although very traditional and demanding, are enjoyable.

We do use traditional Silat uniforms when we train, but initially you can wear whatever you are comfortable with.

Being a beginner will in fact be an advantage, as you wont have tendencies to do things in certain ways, and you will pick it up a lot faster.

Please let me know if you want more info, or visit www.eastweststudios.com

Cheers
    Wali

3. pachanga

pachanga Valued Member

Hallo,

Thanks for the very quick response!

I had a quick look at the site, looks very interesting. Hendon is feasible; do you think it would be possible to watch a class at some point? I'd like to see how "not for the faint-hearted" it is :D.
    Thanks again,
    Pach.

4. Wali

Wali Valued Member

Hi Pachanga,

Feel free to come and visit a class anytime. I'm sure you will find them enjoyable.

The silat classes start at 8pm every night, Monday-Friday.

Cheers,
    Wali

5. Silat Student

Silat Student New Member

Hey,

IME Silat is quite useful from the beginning. I am just starting out but the things I learned in the beginning (ales, basic pukulan, siku etc.) were very interesting and the way that power is generated (using your base instead of relying on your arms) is very efficient. Hope you enjoy discovering Silat.

Aaron

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Silat is my first MA. been doing it for approx 18-24 months and i love it....the only other art i wish to try is Capoeira to help me with flexability etc...

7. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

yes

Your question: Is it a useful art for self-defence in every day situations?

Answer: Heck yes !!

Of all the systems I have seen, silat is the best in terms of real self-defense. I can't think of a system that is better. I do silat-serak. It is great stuff. It is all about taking the battle to the opponent fast and hard. Putting him down fast and hard. With knees and elbows. Yes, yes, yes, it is about real self defense !! :D

8. tauhid_87

tauhid_87 Valued Member

Hello!!!

I agree with JDK Guy, Silat is the best. If you are a beginner you will learn it quickly. Just be dedicated to it. Good luck.... :)

Regards, Tauhid_87

9. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Many people, especially in Europe or the US, already have other martial arts experience when they start Silat. After all, it's pretty rare and obscure. That doesn't mean that the previous experience is always a good thing. Most of my teacher's students have done other things. Most of them need at least a year to get past the cross-training issues and ingrained old habits.

That depends a lot on the particular teacher and the training he or she has had. There are some things which have a steeper learning curve early on. You can develop useful skills slightly faster in something like Muay Thai or a short-term task-oriented combatives program like Krav Maga. If you're going to be with it for just a year or so that may make sense. On the other hand, you will get good, useful stuff early on in even a decent Silat class. And over even a slightly longer term I think you'll end up better off.

The Silat classes I've seen over the last twelve years or so haven't followed the Japanese model at all. A fundamental teaching idea is that stress is important at times, but students generally learn better when they're relaxed. Intense, respectful, but not at all along the pseudo-militaristic lines that you see in new Japanese martial arts, TKD or similar.

Some aliran, particularly new or government-approved ones or schools that stress competition will go with uniforms and rankings. The backyard teachers (the only sort I've really trained with) go with street clothes on the theory that you will be fighting in what you normally wear. They don't tend to use a lot of rankings. Everyone knows everyone else and has a pretty good idea of their fellows' skill level.

I believe that the Wali Sango stylists have classes in London.

10. silatliam

silatliam Valued Member

Hi Pachanga
    There a new Silat class just open in London at the Seymour Leisure Centre. The teacher is name is Gavin and you can contact him 07931855384. The style we teach is Pukulan Cimande Pusaka. In reference to the street self defence, this form of cimande is geared towards street combat, each students is developed to the best of there natural abilities this is done through a sequences of training drills which use elbows, knees, punches, kicks, locks, throws, groundwork and knife. The student is taught at first to defend against one attacker and than building up to 5. Our style is not high kicking or arobatic but based on the cimande principle of (hunt to kill )which means destroying the attacker limbs ie. break the attacker ability to throw punches or kicks. Having some basic knowledge of how to throw a punch and kick would help you at the start, but starting from a blank page is no handicap as you wont have maybe pick up some bad habits. In the cimande system we teach also the internal arts which help develope flexibility, fluildility, power, speed along with this we teach blade and stick so the student will be given the best chance to defend himself and the great thing about all this its one system, one way of how to deal with the modern thug, And because its one system for all ranges you will be albe to apply it in real time. For more info check out www.silateurope.com and read some of the articles especially the one on "Is Grappling Safe on the street by Pendekar Sanders my teacher or have a read in "Combat " where we have a monthly column. I also teaching in London in April for a workshop so why dont you come along and have a go send me a e mail to guruliam@hotmail.com and i send you the details or give Gavin a call he a real open honest good teacher.

11. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

MA training

Well, I do think that previous martial arts training does help, because the mechanics are often the same. Also, you will have learned important principles from other arts.

However, there is also something to be said for coming to silat "clean", with no external influences. Like being "born into silat". Just made that up, but it sounded appropriate.

12. Wali

Wali Valued Member

This is one of those subjects that can go either way. While previous experience can be helpful in the sense that a student is used to the learning environment and physical activity, it can be detrimental in the sense that muscle memory will automatically make them move in a set way at 1st.

This means that if the student is learning silat as his only art, and has, lets say, 5 years of TKD (As an example only, as it's very distinct in the way it moves), then the TKD principles would have to be "unprogrammed", so to speak, as the muscle memory will at 1st make them react like they are used to.

My 2 cents.

Wali

13. krys

krys Valued Member

Yes it is appropriate to study as a martial arts novice...knowledge (of other martial arts) can never be harmfull...

Longer follow-up questions:

If you want to be able to defend yourself against weapons you need to know how they may be used against you....there is nothing more practical than weapon knowledge. Chances of getting killed in a fistfight are slim -unless you face an expert who wants to kill you- contrarly to an armed fight. Proper silat can be applied to weapons, I wouldn't learn any silat that doesn't make sense with weapons....

As you say it depends on the guro and the style. Some styles waste a lot of time in ceremonies and the like.... When we start a class we clean the ground, salute, pray and meditate for a short time then start the real business... ours is a very friendly typical filipino :) atmosphere. We consider ourselves as brother our guro included...
    we show him respect as our instructor but he gives us the same kind of repect because all of us can learn from each other. We don't bow as a pesilat shouldn't bow to another man..

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005