Shouting in martial arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by keyvee, Sep 14, 2007.

1. keyvee

keyvee New Member

I have always wondered what people shout in martial arts, in karate there is something like "kia" what is in others? Iis there a tutorial how to shout? Please answer seriously

2. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

There are many different kiai in Japanese martial arts. Traditionally they are used for different purposes. Some are use to startle, others for taunting etc.

PETER VERMEEREN, 6.DAN, KYOSHI:

3. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

Interpret "ki" however you wish btw.

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

As I understand it, the word Kia actually translates as something like "Spirit Shout". It isn't the actually noise made.

Coming from the Chinese MA perspective, there are a couple of shouts/noises made. The ones used in the style I practice, Tai Chi, are "Ha" and "Her".
    "Ha" is a short, sharp breathe out, usually accompanying Fa-Jing techniques.
    "Her" is a softer, longer breathe out, used for mind focusing and some pushing techniques.

Obviously, these are very brief overviews, and there are many more uses.

5. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It's just there to get ya breathing right.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

People don't actually shout "ki-ai" in karate. It's just a word that means "harmony of energy" (as in aikido) and refers to co-ordinating your exhalation and muscular contraction at the point of impact, giving you complete bodily commitment ("ki-me").

It doesn't matter what you shout, it's about exhaling.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I use 'Ave it! :D

8. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Sorry Moose I have heard Karateka actually shout Kia :eek:
    It was cringe worthy

9. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

So have I - usually kids though. I tend to go with "BUNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!" :D

(not really, thinking about it, I make a kinda "hsssaaa" noise)

10. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

DANGITA

DANGITA

DANG

edit: the caps filter is really annoying.

anyway, like moose said, it's just a matter of breathing right.

11. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

It's a little known fact that kiai actually translates from Japanese as being "Please knock me out or break my jaw, my mouths wide open to make it easy for you".

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I was always taught it was a shout that comes from your diaphragm, a gutteral sound that usually accompanies tightening the stomach muscles.

It sounds nothing like the noises many people make whilst performing kata; you know, the ones that make them sound like an animatronic dinosaur or a truck's air brakes ("Tssssss").

Hapkido teaches a number of different kiaps I believe; in TKD we use just a shout, originating from the stomach, whihc could be anything from "OOOOYAAH!" to a profanity. Though I frown on those in class :)

Mitch

13. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

Profanity is only allowed when it's so indistinguishable you can get away with it...
    I used it during the whole of my orange belt grading. I know someone who uses different letters of the alphabet.
    And anyone who shouts kiai or Osu is just strange.

14. Orangeseger

Orangeseger YouTube =/= Training

I kinda make a "Gyaaa!" or "Shaa!" noise, usually the Gya...

I guess lots of people have their own special noise.

Maybe I should shout this next time... "Shake 'n' bake!!!"

15. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

well, i would say (coming from Kenpo), its like giving extra energy to your strike. i guess it can also startle an opponent. i usually don't shout though, sparring and all.

16. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

Nothing like Northern Kiai :D

17. keyvee

keyvee New Member

Look at his shouting style, Everytime he says "boos) he makes me laugh

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BI2GBHxm7Y"]Sword Demo - YouTube[/ame]

18. L3vity

L3vity Resident poet

re

If it has no physical benefits and "just helps your breathing," why do people exhale sharply in sparring and fights (usually TCH!)? Look down at your stomache, and make a TCH sound sharply and loudly. You should see your muscles contract. Yelling has the same effect. It both increases the power of your strikes and your body's natural resilience against your opponent's strikes.

Additionally, if you're walking down the street and somebody just screams AYAH! rediculously loudly at you, you're startled or stunned for a second. It also calls your presence to the attention of everyone nearby. So if somebody tries mugging you when there's a couple guys nearby, and you scream AYAH! loudly and sharply, you'll probably get a free shot in while the mugger's wondering whats going on, as well as get other people to notice you getting mugged. And yes, it does increase your power and your defensive capabilities.

(If you want an example, try punching yourself in the stomache with a motion similar to if you were stabbing yourself with a pen. Don't do it so hard that you can't breathe, but enough so it hurts. Then do it again saying TCH!. Then do it again screaming AYAH!. It should hurt less the latter two times.)

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

If you watch the videos of John Clements on the ARMA website, you'll notice he does short, percussive vocalisations (usually, a "hu" or "ha") during his strikes. It tightens the diaphragm and lets you deliver more power. And John's got a lot of power, from what I hear. :) I tend to do little percussive breaths. Perhaps I should shout more. :)

Best regards,

-Mark

20. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I don't usually say anything beyond what I guess sounds like, "Psh." a good friend started off with TKD and says some combination of Korean words. He said they mean die, kill and stuff like that. And he seems like such a mild guy. :)