shoulder rolls

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by LeeGreg89, Dec 17, 2003.

1. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

In Taekwondo as we all know their is always something you cant do right in my case it is the shoulder rolls im having a little trouble the one that you do standing can someone please help me

2. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

shoulder rolls are little like front flips

3. Falling_link

Falling_link New Member

Well it's hard to explain over the internet, but i will try. The art is basicly as though you are going to forward roll or flip in your case, except you use your head and your shoulder as the pivot point.
    Ok i'm not sure what i really mean there

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Don't know if the shoulder roll in Tae Kwon Do is the same as what we do, but we start with one foot forward (same side as shoulder that you're going over on), lean forward and down, getting that shoulder as close to floor as possible. Look back (through your legs) towards your "rear" leg, and aim the "forward" arm back (pointing towards the foot of your "rear" leg). Push off with your front foot, and go over. We learn that whatever part of your head is facing the floor, is the part that will hit the floor first, so you don't want your face or the top of your head aiming toward the floor. This works pretty well for me (I'm terrible at rolls, but this is one of the ones I can do halfway decently). DISCLAIMER: You should definitely have your teacher help you with this -- he/she can give you advice based on what you maybe currently be doing "wrong".

5. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

THAT REALLY HELPED YOU GUYS KNOW ANY SITES THAT WILL SHOW PICTURES

Last edited: Dec 18, 2003
  6. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Lee....

7. LeeGreg89

LeeGreg89 Valued Member

lol k girl is so funny

that really helped you guys do u have any sites that show shoulder rolls

8. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Listen, Champ:

There are three things that you need to remember with forward rolls: A) Tuck your chin. B) Push with your legs. C) Use a big fluffy pad.

Good luck!

9. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Additional things to remember:

1) Keep your legs tucked as you go over
    2) Don't hold your breath
    3) Relax

10. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Sounds like what we do in Di Tang: Keep your chin tucked and roll from shoulder to the opposite hip to disperse the force. If you lead with the right shoulder, you should come off at the left hip. If done properly you can perform this manuver on concrete without injury, but pratice on a soft surface for now.