Should Martial Artists read Philosophy

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Martin2, May 22, 2009.

1. ColaMike

ColaMike Valued Member

I've always notcied that many of the people whoa re recognized as the best martial artists in history, not the ones who have won fights or been successful fighters soley, but the ones who are remembered, books written about them, and a goodly following, tend to also have some sort of philosophy.
    It may be the same as what brings a man to religion, but philosophy has a role in Martial Arts.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Great post, El Medico. I think it's important to remember that calligraphy, poetry, philosophy, etc., weren't parts of being a martial artist. They, along with martial arts were a part of being educated for courtly life. Various warrior classes (e.g., the samurai, knights, or kyshatriya) were placed quite highly on the social hierarchy. And that brought them into frequent contact with the aristocracy or priesthood, depending on the culture.

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Hi martin; Good question btw. I see philosphy as almost a statement of the times the individual that wrote it was in. May it be ancient summerian texts or up to the present day. Were free to express and thats the main point to me. So much has been lost to us down from years past its a shame. Books do give us power very true statment you made. And if reading about a subject helps you in your quest as a martial artist i think your personal library should be full. But if a person thinks that his own knowledge can be received on a subject by hands on experience and living in the present meaning *modern times* he may feel that the older wisdom applied then and not in the world today. This is a hard question to even reply to for me.

4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Chinese martial artists for some reason or other have tied up a lot of their martial arts with philosophical ideas. Who knows the real reasons this has come about..

Who can say for example why Dong Hai Chuan taught bagua the way he did. i think for many it played an imortant role in deepening their skill - even if it was a mental persuit. Wang Xiang Zhai and Taoism another example. The Yang families connection with esoteric writings and philosophically influenced classics.

Today we have the example of Sam FS Chin - a powerful, tough and skilled martial artist whose primary work has involved creating a system that includes philosophical ideas.

The cynic in us might say it's part of the marketing.. Even if it was, it's still more than that. having just today having met and trained with the man. For some people, it just works..