Shou shu

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Lee Waters, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

As much as it pains me to rejoin this conversation, even 5 minutes spent surfing your local bookstore or wikipedia or the web will reveal this to be an incorrect statement (am I the only person who's ever heard of Michael Poliakoff?!?!). There are a number of sources, both written and drawn, which show Egyptians engaging in stick fighting, rassling, and boxing. Nothing about mongeese or the other Shou Shu animals.

Doesn't mater if they're legal or not, weapons drills teach a variety of skills useful off the mat, and, as shown in a recent Inside Kung Fu article, the weapons forms can in fact be adapted to fit legal items (uhm, do I be Captain Obvious or can you see the correlation between a staff and a broomstick?).

And yes, we do weapons in my school's system. Staff and straight sword are required, others are optional... I just finished the first fan form, and I know another student is looking into the 9 section whip.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  2. FightingMonk2k3

FightingMonk2k3 Valued Member

Shifu DFS -

can you explain to me, and most likely everyone else in this thread, on the reasonings why Shou Shu has Japanese weapons? If Shou Shu is so advanced and sophisticated, why has it "imported" Japanese weapons if it is a Chinese martial art?

3. beknar

beknar Valued Member

will have to unfortunately agree

I went through the site and it's a little .. confusing. Just judging from the site, It's a bit difficult to see what the hubub's all about.

4. Shifu D.F.S.

Shifu D.F.S. New Member

Great conversation

Egyptian hyrogliphs talk about thier ruling class fighting like a lion and animals along the Nile. I personaly believe this has more to do with thier fighting spirit than real animal styles. As I said its a theory, put it in the same catagory as you can't break the sound barrier if you like. I personaly don't care who did it first I just like that it works! We teach some Japanese weapons frankly becouse done properly they work, I seem to recall the Samuri weren't to shabby with a sword. And two you can't defeat a weapon if you don't know how its used. I should have clarified myself ( hey I'm getting old!) We do teach staff as that is a weapon you can find most anywhere, such as when playing pool. I tried three section staff my head still hurts. We do have masters of other weapons come in if we get enough people who wan't to know it. I'ts just that with learning your technique's or your next animal doesn't leave a lot of time to learn a weapon. Most people are learning one animal we are trying to learn 7. Lee Waters asked about original technique's, yes we do, you have to remeber Shou Shu is based on going from one animal to another or two at the same time such as Mantis foot work with Cobra hands and timing. I have been in fights where I started in Mongoose and becouse the next punch came at a wierd angle I went to Tiger to finish. I have to go now as my two fingers are tired.

5. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

One last thing for me if you can sir. Describe to me 'Mantis Footwork' if you will. :)

6. FightingMonk2k3

i second that! i'd like to hear more about this "mantis footwork" that you are talking about. i wasn't taught it when i was w/ Moores.

7. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Since you're a Shou Shu-er, sources, please.

1. It's "Samurai" NOT "Samuri".
    2. So now you do use weapons. Huh.
    3. I don't think anyone cares if Shou Shu is a hybrid style with an eclectic mix from other disciplines, but be honest about it.

Only 7? Wow, we have just as many in my style. We seem to have no problems incorporating all of it into a cohesive surriculum...I'm doing leopard and the steel fan right now, with staff and club looming in the horizon, as well as the straight sword and advanced steel fan forms. It's only really a problem if you're a complete belt-chaser.

1. Anecdotal evidence is all Shou Shuers ever produce. Have you not taken the hint we're not buying it? And anyone who learns any form of animal boxing can shift among them, that's nothing special, dude.
    2. Tell us about this Mantis footwork. You've just opened a big ole can of worms. Everyone here who does some form of mantis raise your hand (In case you're wondering... that's about 75% of us).

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  8. TheDarkJester

Damn a whole day and he still hasn't come back. Guess he'll be back eventually with his mongoose squad. *shrug* :)

And I really wanted to hear him tell me how I move too :(

9. Shifu D.F.S.

Shifu D.F.S. New Member

I'm back

Hey some of us have jobs. Forward foot sideways knee bent and whole leg pushing back, back leg bending and pushing forward you are now spring loaded just as a Mantis. Lift any leg and you fire your center line in that direction just like a Mantis. It's a short stance. Now I came on here to talk about styles have you seen me insult or call anyone else's style names? If thats all this site is about then I have a better use for my time. Besides that all your moms dress you funny. Thier were even.

10. Lee Waters

Lee Waters Valued Member

Shou Shu Mantis

Mantis was put in the system in the mid 80's, this comes from Shou Shu practioners.

In the interview with Mr. Moore 1976, Mr Moore claims to have between sixty and seventy black belt. What happened to them. Shou shu need to put a family tree in place so we can interview the Shou Shu practioners of the 60's and 70's. It's never to late.

L.W.

http://shoushu.myblogvoice.com/

11. TheDarkJester

Sounds like you just described a forward bow stance. Sir.. In spite of everything stated over the last few days... Some stuff you say comes across as stuff you were spoonfed and you just ate it up.

Let me ask you this... Have you ever watched a praying mantis move? Its footwork is extremely weak and near impossible to replicate as we are human beings and not 6 limbed insects. True Tang Lang boxing footwork is not spring loaded, but in actuality.. it is the waist that is 'spring loaded' used to provide the power generation needed for our strikes. Any mantis boxer that knows his stuff will agree with me. Gangrel and Ony can vouch for that.. I'm trying to remember who else on here does Tang Lang.. but if you went to a strictly KF forum and asked the question to verify what I just said.. you might think twice about your statements.

Oh.. and that last part.. Its actually "There, we're even." :)

And you smell. :p

Much Respect,
    Val

Last edited: Sep 27, 2006
  12. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Dude, if you're spring-loaded, as you put it, from the legs, it ain't anything resembling mantis, which uses the hips and waist for power generation.

This is why we tend to dogpile Shou Shuers.

13. FightingMonk2k3

i completely agree w/ TheDarkJester here about the "Mantis Footwork" that you described, Shifu DFS.

it doesn't sound too strong at all. sounds like you're going to be knocked down and have the crap kicked out of you before you're able to get up and defend yourself.

14. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I know Shou Shu guys have a habit of parroting crazy histories and often talking in a cult like manner about their chosen style and its founder but you guys really seem to be going out of your way to be obnoxious to this fellow 'Shifu D.F.S.' From what I've read apart from some dubious historical views he just seems like a guy who likes his style and is prepared to discuss it and its criticisms with others.

Maybe your sick of Shou Shu and all that nonsense but I really think its a bit unfair to take it on some random Shou Shu-er who seems to be perfectly willing to have a decent discussion.

15. TheDarkJester

Hey hey hey.... hold the phone chief.. I'm not being obnoxious am I? When someone talks about the style that I do.. I listen. If the information is not correct, then I correct it and discuss it.. Thats what a forum is for. That and I despise false information being propagated about my 'fist'. I'm overly prideful of what I study and I don't take kindly to others slandering or spreading bad knowledge about what it is that I do.

Now if someone wants to come up here and tell me how tang lang ma kung and bo fot are performed.. You bet your sweet ass I'm gonna perk my ears up and listen, because I might just learn something.

16. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

I heard that Qi Xing Tang Lang Chuan practitioners learn to smash diamonds with their testicles ( :confused: I'm not sure why they'd want to) and have anti-grappling techniques that are so effective that even Gracie trained giant squids can't hold them. :D

17. TheDarkJester

No no you misunderstood.. Our testicles ARE diamonds. ;)

And as for the squid... We trained Moby Dick in Mantis Boxing. He freaking Pwn3d the UFC.

18. Shifu D.F.S.

Shifu D.F.S. New Member

I don't smell. The flies are friends.

Gentlemen & Ladies, I'm a third, Mantis in our style is 5th, if I'm doing it in a way that your not I may not be explaining it properly. I do know that strike's out of the Mantis are very fast, my purpose was more to show how we blend animals at times. And forgive my spelling I don't have spell check. As far as the stance I discribed no one has ever run me down in it but then I'm 6' 2" 220. Got to go kids hanging on leg style happening.

19. Lee Waters

Lee Waters Valued Member

Not Explaining correct means not Learning correct!

To learn, is to be able to explain, once one learns he can teach!

Here is the list of concepts / principles used in one of your Shou Shu techniques!

Sleeper! Defense against a right step through punch.

Accidental Strikes, Anchor, Angle of departure, Base, Buckle, Catting Around, Checks=a Bracing angle,b Pinning, c Vice-like, Consciousness, Direct Rotation, dislocation, Enveironmental obstructions, marriage of Gravity, obscure Zone, Pivot Rotational Force, sleeper Hold, slipping, Sandwhiching Effect, Strangulation, Stun, Throwing, Thrusting, Unconsciousness.

Targets, Right temple, Brachial Plexus, Right Rib Cage, Right Elbow, Right Knee, Right Shoulder!

Im sorry, this is how American Kenpo teaches it, and I left out the 16 Basics used in this one techniques.

Shou Shu really should hand out reading material.

L.W.

http://myblogvoice.com/mbveditblog.php?bid=1359

20. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

Oh no! Don't you start calling your art your "fist" now too! I was hoping there'd be no more gratuitous "fist"-ing now that Shenyin's wandered off.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006