Shotokan anyone?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by mdgee, Sep 9, 2014.

1. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Does anyone here study Shotokan? I admit it's a martial art I had considered and passed on until I watched a video by an amazing instructor last evening. I don't know if it's the martial art for me but, alas, I've learned something about myself and martial arts in the short time I've been on this earth. The style chooses you, you don't choose it. You may be exploring a bunch of styles but there is something about the martial art, or the instructor that brings you back.

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Lots of people here study Shotokan, you'll find them in the Karate section ;)

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Want me to move the thread mdgee?

Mitch

4. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Mitch, yes please.

5. mdgee

mdgee Valued Member

Anyone?

6. Mitch

I do an old style of ITF TKD, which was ripped bleeding from Shotokan if that counts? :D

Mitch

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I trained with two Shotokan guys today if that counts. :D

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Five years in taekwondo taken from Shotokan, as Mitch mentioned. And about half a year (in college) of actual Shotokan. Not exactly a resume to brag about, but that's it.

Moosey is one of our resident Shotokan experts, yes?

9. Mitch

I should really have said, "improved upon" :D

Mitch

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think pretty much half of our krotty peeps do or have done shotokan at some point :p

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I Technically hold a 1st dan in shotokan

12. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Cough. Technically you trained with on Shotokan guy, and he wasn't doing Shotokan in a significant part of what we did! :)

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

WOOOOOOOO YAY SHOTOKAN!!!!!!!

(Me too)

15. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Competing in the black belt division doesn't make you a black belt :p

16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

LOL! No I mean I was awarded a 1st Dan - I claim it as a technicality because there is not a single move I cannot pull off but ask me to do a kata and I am pooched! I still see my karate Genesis/style as being clearly Shukokai to be honest

17. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Shotokan was my first style and I hold a 1st Dan in the system, Lots of long stances and linear movement and big powerful long range movements, my Kihon is now Kyokushin base but you can see some Shotokan emphasis in that I like to keep outside of normal Kyokushin distance at times and pick them apart with kicks and sweeps when sparring.

I got disillusioned with it at the time especially in regards to it being linear and lack of fluidity between its strikes looking for the one strike one kill rather than fluid combinations and the stop start gun slinger type sparring. It also took me ages to get out of the deep stances which were really open to low kicking especially when I started kickboxing and Muay Thai.

Recently had a very good 5th Dan start training at my Jujitsu dojo who has training with a A list of the Shotokan world and has made me look again at the system, Good knowledge of bunkai (as apposed to the basic generic stuff I was taught), and hits like a speeding bus, but again does not have the fluidity between strikes but his striking power is a thing of horror.

18. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You've met bassai too?

19. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I do shotokan kata.

20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Either that or his evil twin.... :)