Shooto

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Kat, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Anyone practising?opinions impressions?

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I had a guy teach shootfighting (same thing, different name as far as I can tell) out of my school for 6 months. I trained with him a bit and was always there durring his classes, what would you like to know?

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Is it basically kickboxing with grappling or is there a focus on any particular discipline?

4. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Muay Thai style striking and submission wrestling. Both are traine, both are important, some guys prefer one over the other, but thats just personal preferance.

But overall I'd say the groundfighting is prefered.

From the group that trained at my school I'd say their stand up skills were fairly crude and there mainly to get close enough for a take down. But thats just the one group.

5. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I met some shootfighters at a groundwork seminar (yep, they prefer taking it to the ground) and was told it was called shootfighting because of the explosive movements used to escape from locks/chokes. I think in general the style is weak in stand up skills, but mostly due to the emphasis of taking it to the deck.

Thanx

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

There's quite a bit of Shooto in what we do. The term "Shoot" comes from the two types of submission fighting - Shoot (real) or Show (worked - fake).

My main influence in Shooto / shootfighting has been Erik Paulson - certainly no discenable werakness in HIS standup game. If you get the change to train with Erik I'd highly recommend it. You'll learn lots, work hard, and you'll have a good laugh too :D

7. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

Yoda,

You forgot to mention that you might need an ambulance home!

I had the great pleasure of attending one of Erik Paulson'd seminars in July... I only have to walk 1.5 miles home and everystep was torture.

Can't wait for the next one! My head was buzzing for weeks with all that I learned. Just an amazing teacher and as you say no sign of any gaps in his game whether stand-up, on the ground or simply slamming your head on the mat!!

8. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hehe - he DOES tend to have that effect on people.

He's the canine's sphericals for sure :p

9. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter