Shintaido

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Twimyo Jirugi, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Twimyo Jirugi

Twimyo Jirugi Me, but not

I was just watching an MA documentary and came across this art. It's like a psychic art about feeling an attack coming before it happens. Also, pulling and redirecting attacks without using any physical force.

Anyone know much about this art?

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

NOOOOOO!!!!!

No more psychic arts!

3. Twimyo Jirugi

Maybe psychic was too strong of a word, maybe chi/ki would of been better? It's mostly meditation they do, from what I've seen.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this, and what their thoughts are.

4. Aegis

I think if you want a style like that, aikido or tai chi would be your best bet rather than going for anything you saw on TV. From what I've seen of martial arts documentaries, it's mostly the slightly dubious ones that get shown, with a few exceptions from time to time. Trouble is that to most people, martial arts are a bit boring, so to get shown on TV they often require a gimmick (or at least anything to separate them from the others). If they don't have one, the chances of being seen are minimal.

I'd say more, but I need to get to work

5. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

Dont ask, because most everyones feeling is the same, they dont like it, think its total BS. I have just answered for the majority.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

I saw that program too. What a load of mince, it is the same rubbish that always gives martial arts a bad name. Funnily enough the psychic powers seemed to only be tried on the guys own students, amazing eh?

The Bear.

7. Twimyo Jirugi

Well, the host lad went meditating under the waterfall and got a signifficantly better mark on his test.

TV, eh :rolleyes:

8. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

maybe we should all fight with mild hypothermia. :eek:
    I loved to old darth vader force powers on his attackers. "Do or do not there is no try!"

The Bear.

9. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

This is some sort of joke...right?

10. Linguo

Linguo Valued Member

Are you sure you weren't watching a documentary about Spiderman?

11. pabsma

pabsma New Member

I seen the same program. Don't be conned into thinking this is real, even the tricks the presenter pulls off can be explained easily, especially the one with a line of people pushing him. treat it as a good laugh. I don't see shintaido stopping a machette wielding nut case. By all means try it and let us know how you got on if you can.

pabsma

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Shintaido, Yellow Bamboo...it's all the same in the end - plop! It has nothing that cannot easily be replicated by anyone with half a brain. My favourite bit was when the "attacker" (and I use that term very loosely) ran off for about 100yds after being "deflected"! pure hilarity of the highest order!

I think the host is a little bit to sychophantic as well. After the Shintaido guy ballsed up the demo he said "No, No I was thinking it so you were right!"...I was LMAO

Hatsumi was interesting though and those FMA guys were great!

13. kedoin

kedoin New Member

Shintaido Information

Shintaido was started by Aoki Sensei when he was studying Shotokai karate from Egami Sensei. Shintaido contains curriculum for karate, bojutsu, jojutsu, kenjutsu, meditation, nagewaza (throwing techniques) as well as open-hand movements unique to Shintaido.

Regarding feeling an attack coming before it happens, I'm not sure how unique to Shintaido that is. I would guess that anyone practicing a martial art tries to anticipate the incoming attack and try to prepare a response.

As far as pulling and redirecting an attack without the use of physical force, I have not been formally taught this in a Shintaido class in my ten years of practice. However, I have experimented with this with a teacher I know and he was able to stop me dead in my tracks. It was a very strange feeling. While I can't claim to understand this effect, I have heard of this before in other martial arts including Aikido and Tai Chi. It is interesting to note that usually only other martial artists who are "sensitive to energy" are usually effected by it.

You can learn more about Shintaido at the Shintaido of America website and you can learn about practices in Europe at their webring.

Hannibal - I think you are not taking into account the type of attack that was being deflected. If you are running as fast as you can while making your attack, any deflection that occurs will still leave you with all your momentum and you'll need to run it out before you can turn around to make another pass. I agree that it's arguable whether or not a full-tilt running attack is an effective strategy or not.

Also, regarding the "ballsed up demo", I think Chris Crudelli probably wasn't being sycophantic at all. There is a time lag between when you think "Attack!" and when you decide to move your body. Sometimes it's possible for you to second-guess yourself and decide not to follow through with the attack. In those cases, it is possible for the person guessing the attack to react and the person who should be attacking to realize they meant to go but stopped for some reason. I've found myself telling my partners, "No, you were right." a number of times.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Running about 10 feet after the defender moving I'll buy....running 300yds after no real attack defence at all is about as convincing as Charles Manson's defence lawyer.

And I am sorry but the psychic "attack" is not plausible either. If this can be demonstrated on a NON COMPLIANT demo partner then maybe I'll be convinced. How many partners do NO ATTACK whatsoever - and gain a reaction. SOrry but from a combative perspective it looks next to useless

15. Aegis

This is indeed "interesting" and is probably more of an auto-hypnotic response rather than any form of energy. Over time, you've convinced yourself that someone with enough energy will be able to stop an attack with only their mind, so when you try it it works, but only on someone who already firmly believes it will work...

All in all not the most useful of techniques.

16. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

Yes, it was claimed in Tai Chi until someone walked up to the person claiming it and soaked him with 2 liters of water, as far as I know, its not claimed anymore.

17. evilkingston

evilkingston 필요악

mmm :rolleyes: don't about the documentary you all saw, but I did ShinTaiDo for a year in Belgium, and there it was more like very fast disabling of the attacker... so not about psychicpowers at all... :confused:
    we had a wushu-like stance and when an attacker moved inward, we moved towards him (so no stepping back) in order to intercept and disable the finishing of his attack...

maybe i didn't practise it long enough, but if it was about psychicpowers i should have heard about it, no? ;)