Shinobi Soldiers

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Sandstorm, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Thing is if he doesn't come back it will only make him look worse.
    Maybe that's what he wants, the old "Bujinkan is trying to silence me because I know the truth".

2. Manga

Manga Moved On

I hope he makes a bawww video and posts it on You Tube.

ZOMG t3h armchair warriors and keyboard warriors on t3h MAP H8 meez

bawwwww :cry:

also bawwwww moar :cry:

I hope I get a mention in the video :cool:

3. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

:banana::banana::banana:

Hustle 'till the ninja man comes back.

4. Fudo-shin

Fudo-shin Valued Member

Well during the intermission may I present some historically accurate Ninja that prove Ninjutsu is a martial art because they use their Kung Fu :) "Shaka Ninja"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ker8Lb5qkcs"]YouTube- Ninja In The Dragon's Den (1/10)[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. Manga

Manga Moved On

They're not real ninjas! Everyone knows that real ninjas can run across sand without leaving footprints! Why can't these film makers do their research properly? :hat:

While the intermission is still on, perhaps you can also enjoy our other feature presentation, the 1955 version of Jiraiya?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkHkOK2icVw"]YouTube- Ninjutsu Jiraiya 1955[/ame]

6. ninpei

ninpei Valued Member

Hello Everyone sorry I have been away for 24 hours, maybe I just ran or maybe we were working on more translations.

Ok, First thing I can not answer all questions. I have started to ignore Rubber Tanto and Manga, I do not go with keyboard warrior stuff. Also, I am not here for a martial arts conversation, so I will ignore all comments on martial arts.

As for dennis bartram one of my videos has me with him.

Ok, so only one person answered any of my questions? Many of you seemed to just go back to the habit of insults.

I trained in japan in 2005 and 2007 one year each, first with bujinkan 2nd genbukan.

The Translations:
    I flew to Hiroshima to see nakashima sensei, he is the guy who spent ten years getting the Shoninki from grass style to block style. We had dinner and I asked him if we could use his book to aid our translation and also if we could work with him on any questions. He agreed. So that was member 1! The main translator is Yoshie Minami, she translates the bulk into raw English and that’s when the work begins. My areas is theoretical archaeology and history, so as the gentleman said the Shoninki needs explanation. We first did an academic version but the publisher said it was TOO GOOD or to accurate, so they asked us to insert the hundreds of foot notes into the text as text. So you will find additions and also comments by us. Some areas as that man will know are unanswerable and lost, or it has such a vague or hidden meaning that it is difficult. So on the whole we theorised on any points of issue and discussed the best option. The publisher is happy now, Otake sensei has done the forward, nakashima sensei has done a prologue and there is something a little extra at the end, TBA.

The Katori Shinto Ryu
    I then drove to the dojo of katori shinoto ryu, I write for the British magazine combat so I did an interview with him. I asked about his ninjutsu. I am not saying he is the only one left but he is the only one I have found that is not a “claim” hatsumi claims, fujita claimed, kawakami claims, Otake senei is the proven head of a proven line. Thus the only one I know of that openly says they teach ninjutsu.

I was at this point still gripping to the hope of Hatsumi was real. So I asked him about his ninjutsu. He told me they teach ninjutsu as a defensive art and they in fact teach ninjutsu as “defence against the ninja”. I was expecting MA. What did I get? The most amazing information I have ever been given, we had tea for about three hours, we had a tape recorder and off we went. For the man who asked what words he used, I was with Yoshie the translator, she knows my questions and we talked at length. He stated, very clearly that it is not a fighting system, it is not a form of martial arts. It is the art of ninjutsu, that is what it was known as in the start. So I collected a 500 year old tradition and wrote it down for the first time in English. Guys, all the arguing aside, he taught me more about ninjutsu in 3 hours then I have learn in all my time with bujinkan. As he is doing the forward for my book and he knows what else is going in it, he says “it will be the greatest book ever on ninjutsu – people do not know what ninjutsu is”

For example, did you know that a ninja if needed would cover himself in whale oil and get into a garden, beat a dog to near death and then leave, once the dogs spirit was broken, he would infiltrate the house, the dog, smelling the same smell would retreat as defeated. A katori Shinto samurai would understand what had happened if a dog cowered they would shoot arrows into the tree lines.

Anyway must dash, as I said, any insults or stupid questions will be ignored, I do not have to be here guys, I have the publishing deal? So please remember I have the info, yes I want to sell books, why would I not? Do you think I wish it to fail? Some people are just stupid? The internet is free advertising, I have a product (ninjutsu info) and I wish to make a living, so I will be ignoring stupid comments like that. I do not ask you all to stop going to work. I would like to be here people but if I leave it will be because of idiots, I will stay for those who wish to learn more. If you do not wish to learn, that’s fine, please go away?

I hope for some real questions, sorry if I did not answer yours?

Antony Cummins

7. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Ignore RT? do you not know who he is?? :rolleyes:

Aaah yes, there's no martial arts in ninjutsu.....according to you, just one thing, why does Otake sensei think the Bujinkan is the real deal?

who also has legitamcy problems doesnt he? isnt he the 5oth odd soke of something??

so you are taking someone who is potentially more dubious than Hatsumi & taking his word for it? cool :rolleyes:

Who is she? any relevance?

And this is the guy who is happy with what the Bujinkan provides? :cool:

So if Ninjutsu isnt an MA why are you targeting the Bujinkan & Genbukan? target audience for your book?

Great, now explain how this is beneficial to the general population of the 21st Century? see this is your problem, you are doing a great job for ninjutsu, getting some really good info out there, but why target the xkans? I learn Bujinkan as the taijutsu is excellant, i've not come across an opportunity yet to cover myself in whale fat...

Which anyone can get with tuttle if you put the money up front first...

Whoa there tonto, you are in our playground now, if you dont have the balls to answer your critics why do you expect people like Kacem to answer yours? Grow a pair and answer some questions.

8. Dean Winchester

Or maybe you were googling answers…… :D
    Joke! See smilie ;)

See this is the bug bear, or whatever the phrase is, before we go further I think you need to address your definition of a martial art.

As I’ve mentioned here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34146659&postcount=43

and here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34146671&postcount=45

Also with regards to post 45 could you please clarify who you are referring to in the highlighted text

Hmm I seem to recall having made a couple of what I fell are pertinent points

So am I correct in thinking that you haven’t actually translated anything as such yes?

This relates to my question here:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34146632&postcount=36

Really this stuns me as even a cursory amount of research into the matter would have revealed more than what you state above. It really isn’t hard to find mention of “Ninjutsu” (I’m using that as an umbrella term) related material in the various classical ryu-ha that are still extant.

EDIT:
    Can't believe I missed this!

Er no he's not.

This is why I asked this question in post 45:
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showpost.php?p=34146671&postcount=45

Again back to my point about things being taken on a ryu-ha by ryu-ha basis.

You are using TSKSR as basis to evaluate the ryu-ha of the Bujinkan, this I feel is something of an error. Yes Otake sensei is worth listening to considering who he is and what he does and yes the ryu-ha is a very prestigious one but it is only one ryu-ha among many others, each with their own flavours and “take” on certain areas. Surely if you wanted to “research” Ninjutsu you would of done it far beyond just one ryu-ha that developed in one part of the country.

Why not throw your net wider.

Again one ryu-ha among many, one interpretation on the subject matter.

See questions above.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

a) re: 1 through 5 - They weren't insults they were explainations based on fact about why people do not take your seriously, if you cant take the truth then maybe you shouldnt start insulting people, especially when you have a 'product to sell'

b) My question about the KORISUYA NINJUTSU NO GOKUI BY ITO GINGETSU still stands, and I dont belive it is a 'stupid question'

c) re: 6 - Yes of course it was.

10. Manga

Manga Moved On

Onoz, Mr Cummins is ignoring meez? I'll bawww later if I remember :hat:

Mr Cummins, don't let my jolly demeanour and scathing wit confuse you into thinking I couldn't run rings around you. Let's start with this as an example.

Think about this logically. If you can get into the garden and beat the dog in the first instance then surely you would simply have killed the dog there and then and completed your mission? Infiltrating an armed residence is amazingly risky and no one would be stupid enough to risk it twice if they only had to risk it once. Plus, if the dog was beaten on night one and the ninja returned on say night two to conduct the actual mission then that allowed for time during which the damage/injuries to the dog would be noticed, resulting in security being tightened. Can you see why your logic is flawed? It shows either a mistake in translation or it shows a lack of understanding on your part. In fact this reminds me of the type of rubbish you used to read in articles by Harunaka Hoshino and books such as Ninja Training Manual by Yukishiro Sanada.

One of the problems you have, as pointed out by Dean for example, is that you are taking the term "Ninjutsu" and only seeing it through certain filters and thus you're missing the woods for the trees. But hey, if you're wanting to focus on what you're referring to as "ninjutsu" then what you'll find is that you are still mistaken. I can't speak for the entire spectrum of skills but I myself have experience of ninjutsu skills being taught and no, I don't mean modern military stealth and concealment labelled as "ninja stealth skills". I mean traditional skills like the correct construction of tools such as kumobashigo and actual skills from the densho regarding night operations. You don't see such things often but they are there, tucked into quiet corners. But people like yourself want it all on a plate and when it doesn't happen you have a good bawwww and scream how only you have t3h r34l n!nj!tsoos.

Also, speaking objectively, your taijutsu sucks goats. What actual grade(s) do you hold and in what arts, given by which instructors?

I await your response :cool:

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Objectivly speaking if he's holding open classes and openly calling people stupid for asking questions, and vaunting his 'battletested' ninjer/nonninjer training over combatative sports training, then he may very well get a reality check somepoint soon.

more on point:

A REVIEW OF SHINOBI SOLDIERS by a scot baio:

'' Antony sent me a copy of this book to review. It's very basic, good for people who don't know too much about ninjutsu, it basically destroys ninja mythology people may have gotten from movies or youtube videos ''

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR9jyAxn044"]YouTube- REVIEW OF SHINOBI SOLDIERS BY ANTONY CUMMINS[/ame]

12. Manga

Manga Moved On

Incidentally, you say your book is being published by Tuttle? Well just to prove how meaningless that claim is, Jock Brocas also claims he's got a book coming out that is being published by Tuttle and we all know how that one turned out :cool:

So Mr Cummins, please give us the details of the person at Tuttle who is acting as your editor? At your convenience naturally :bow1:

13. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Watch this vid around 9mintes, he openly talks about Otake saying he believes the Bujinkan to be the real thing yet Antony says other, i'd believe this kid over Antony, he seems in receipt of good info.

14. Almack

Almack Almack

15. Manga

Manga Moved On

Hey, you know me and how I dig into things? Well I noticed the following and it shows that Mr Cummins is lying or exaggerating on at least one point.

Earlier in this thread, Dunc posted an email from Mr Cummins which stated

And yet now Mr Cummins tells us

I don't see how both of these claims can be true. If he's lying or exaggerating even a simple claim like this, then don't you wonder what else he's lying or exaggerating about? Personally, based on the garbage he's written so far, I wouldn't even trust one of his techno umbrellas to keep the rain off me :rolleyes:

For those of you who recall Domatello's chain of lies and their exposure, just remember that the avalanche began with a simple observation of a discrepancy just like the one I've pointed out here.

16. Muawijhe

Muawijhe Dreams of Madness

I'm curious, too, if ninjutsu is a martial art, since we're somewhat on that topic.

DISCLAIMER: This is just my opinion and ramblings, and I understand fully that I am not well-educated in this regard, and am more than happy to be shown my faults in my statements. This is merely my sense of what I've gathered here and there.

For this purpose, I will define "martial art" as: "Any of several Asian arts of combat or self-defense, such as aikido, karate, judo, or tae kwon do, usually practiced as sport. Often used in the plural." source

I think this is what the average person thinks of as a martial art.

Now, from what I've gathered is that ninjutsu is a combination of skills to serve many purposes, from battlefield/war strategies (how to assess weather conditions when planning an attack, where to position forces), to stealth/infiltration/information gathering skills (relevant to the times and unique social structure/norms where ninja were present), warrior body techniques (martial arts as defined above), and other practical and esoteric information.

This itself I could assume would vary from location to location, generation to generation, situation to situation. And for everything that worked, think how much was tried that didn't work. And as misinformation goes, if one were to ask you what skills you possessed, say, to sneak into a castle, would you tell them what you used or would you tell them a story about whale fat and animal abuse?

I remember when I first posted here I asked, in naivity, what everyone's favorite technique was (which I think was by-and-large assumed to mean "preferred"). Few answered, and those that did could (and rightly should) have just thrown any old thing out there. You crafty ninjers! :)

That said, when you have something so broad and encompassing, and so many biases and pre-dispositions to what it is, it is not unlikely or unusual to have people see just what they want to see in all of this. When a novelist or movie maker wants to portray a ninja, they will encorporate elements they find appealing or they believe to encompass "ninjutsu". If one were to open a school to pass along ninjutsu, perhaps they would focus on the "martial art" aspect, or another might focus on the "traditional" aspects of climbing trees and and being all sneaky-like. I'm sure we can think of examples and then some.

So my assumption, and purely that, would be thus: Is ninjutsu a martial art (as defined above)? No. Does ninjutsu contain martial arts? Yes. If I'm wrong, I'd love for people to point out my errors (it's how I learn, afterall).

Thanks for reading. I know my nubbyness is just glaring after that post. :hat:

17. Manga

Manga Moved On

Sorry to keep posting but my brain is now getting into gear :hat:

I honestly don't know what the situation is with regard to visiting and training at the Genbukan Honbu Dojo (or indeed other Genbukan dojo in Japan) so could one of our Genbukan cousins perhaps enlighten us? Mr Cummins claims he just went to Japan and trained with the Genbukan for a year in 2007. Is it possible to do this? I mean just turn up and train? Can anyone say "oh yes, I saw him there"? Are there any photos?

18. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

I'm quite comfortable with the fact you choose to ignore me. The minute I saw your slap-happy, unplanned "windows" video tutorial where you refered to openings like windows because when you see them you "step" through them, I pretty much stopped taking anything you have to offer very seriously.

If he has already beaten the dog to near death...why stop and leave in the hope to "break the dog's spirit" for a retreat and possible future infiltration? Why not just kill the dog and infiltrate?

Stupidity.
    Enjoy stepping through windows...

19. Dean Winchester

I've just edited my post number 87 because I missed a rather major, IMO, thing he said.

Guys you might want to go back and read it....if I'm right ;)

20. skuggvarg

skuggvarg Valued Member

Hey, havent you learned the "dog swallowing" and the "cow swallowing" technique yet? Im sure Hatsumi sensei writes about it in one of his books. Really a basic ninja technique. After you´ve mastered it you will never be disturbed by dog poo or barking dogs in your neigbourhood...

Regards / Skuggvarg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.