Share Your Aikido "Ah-ha!" moments

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Morra, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Morra

Morra Valued Member

1. I threw uki after some instruction, and told my sensei that it felt more like he just did it all himself. My sensei said, "With proper aikido, niether side will feel that they did anything. Your Uki thinks YOU did it all."

2. Often, your "weak side" is actually stronger because it's more feminine, and gentle - the strong side often tries to "force" things. When you hold someone, it should be soft as a mother embracing a child.

3. Don't appologize if you strike your opponent in the face - they should thank you (just be ready to thank them when it happens to you!).

Please share your aikido ah-ha moments, and feel free to comment on them....

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

CRAZY TALK

EVEN MORE CRAZY TALK

Honestly, how much more crazy do we need to get to thank someone for punching you in the face.

The Bear.

3. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

(1) he hits the mat without knowing what hit him. (it was you)

(2) he is gripped like gripping a sword with the power of your entire body behind it.

(3) I saw someone who should have known better being struck twice in a row.

Wake up!!!!

4. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

I think the idea is that getting punched in the face shows you that you need to improve your defense. Thus, the puncher is actually doing you a favor by hitting you. :)

5. Morra

Morra Valued Member

I'm not sure what you mean. You're saying I need to wake up and that everything I've tried to share as an aha moment is bull?

6. Morra

Morra Valued Member

Of course that is what it means. What else could it possibly mean?

7. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Well, it could mean you're the type who enjoys pain. :p More seriously, I was responding to Bear's comment (which would probably be why I quoted said comment ;)).

8. Morra

Morra Valued Member

I know, sorry for the confusion, my question was directed to polar bear to. But when someone just says, "Crazy" with no explanation, it's not really worthy of acknowledgement.

Hm, I thought people would like this thread, and we could learn something or validate things--since I'm a whitebelt and am enjoying my Yoshinkan, but if it's just going to be negative, there's really no point.

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Your training partner isn't doing YOU favours, they are training. They are watching you and learning how you move when they attack. When you have made a mistake, is it on YOU to see it and correct it. You show repect for your partner by traning sincerely. If you find your getting punched in the face every week you might discover that the guy just doesn't like you.

The Bear.

10. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I was held last night in BJJ. Can't say my mother has held me in such a way that I nearly pass out as my ribs and stomach are under so much pressure.

Some rolls are just horrible.

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah and that's just the women :D

The Bear.

12. Morra

Morra Valued Member

That's what I am saying: You show respect by training sincerely. You do your attack sincerely by committing to it. If they do not block my attack and I strike them in the face, I have done them a favor--I struck them in the face because they merely put their arm up to block without intensity, and their block collapsed, not expecting a sincere blow. I can't explain it further to you, Polar Bear. And no one is gitting punched in the face every week.

13. koyo

If it "feels" like your uke helped in the throw he did. Compliant partner = bad aikido.

Grip like a mother holding a baby= nonsense.

first principle do not get hit. You do this by getting off the line of attack NOT by blocking.

Does NOT sound like any Yoshinkan I have ever encountered.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

So lemme get this straight you biffed some newbie and asked him to thank you for it. Then you start holding him like his mother and when he falls to the ground in fright you deny all knowledge of events that put him there.
    Yeah you're right they certainly are "Ah-ha" moments.

The Bear.

15. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

to get a little off the direction the thread has taken so far...

i just started aikido on sept. 1st, after 6 years of hapkido, so i have many many "a has" so far. the biggest one...

yokota sensei, hombu instructor, was in town for a three day seminar at my dojo. he comes every year apparently. my "a ha" moments came every time he showed a technique with the sword in his hands. i never realized how much aikido is derived from the movements of the sword before now.

i've been jacked a couple times so far. i think the dans are still taking it a little easy on me since i'm a newbie, but i have failed to get off the line and paid, a couple times at least. they've also been nice and told me when my 'nads were exposed, lol.

i have to say also....whoever thinks that aikido is not a combat art is seriously deluding themselves.

16. koyo

DO NOT GET HIT that is the first principle taught. Body alignment and evasion. There is no need if the "attack" is false.

To throw someone you MUST unbalance them. If someone falls without the unbalancing he is being disrespectfull.

The sensei should NOT give obscure answers such as "Uke thought you had thrown him."
    You can feel if you had to meet initial resistance and counter to a weak point so the question should not have arisen.

As giovani says..try your techniques based on sword principles and you shall begin to get an insight into aikido.

Or click onto aikido insight here on MAP (if I may be so bold):)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i have to say that seeing someone as proficient as yokota really set the hook in, so to speak, for me and aikido. one of my favorite moments from this past weekend...

yokota was showing tenchi-nage, but with two bokken in his hands: the small in the left, the long in the right. he turned to us with a little smirk and said in english "musashi...two sword school".

i practically crapped my pants...from glee.

18. Morra

Morra Valued Member

Hi, Koyo:

I don't believe we are compliant; I come from BJJ, so you know I wouldn't go for anything like that.

My instructor:

"(Peter) Koussoulis Sensei (4th Dan) is a full time student and teacher of Aikido. He has been practicing Aikido for more than 10 years. Koussoulis Sensei is an internationally renowned Aikido professional. He lived in Japan for two years studying and teaching at the Yamanashi Yoshinkan Aikido dojo under world famous instructor Takeno Kancho (9th Dan) and Nakagawa Sensei (5th Dan).

In 2005 he won the All Japan Free Style Aikido grand prize and is the only non-Japanese teacher to be issued with a teaching licence by Takeno Kancho."

Beleive me, there is NOTHING compliant about our training. I highly reccomend it, and am enjoying it!

I appreciate your zeal for honest training - I do feel I am recieving such. If you know something I don't about Koussoulis being a crappy teacher, please give me some specifics, because he is FOR REAL from my experience. I've never been thrown like that, he is a full person, and his teaching is world-class in my limited opinion.

19. koyo

Hi Morra

First of all I did not comment about your teacher.

The statements as you wrote them sounded like some I have heard from ki aikido such as the uke "thinks" you have thrown them. "Hold like a mother holding a child."

I am used to words being lost in translation from Japanese sensei. Such as "You must enter him magnificently." (one of my favourites)

Had you said you got the kuzushi perfectly and were surprised at the effect on uke and how little effort it had taken. That would be fine.

I have the greatest respect for yoshinkan.
    As far as getting punched.. that usually gets a nod and a grunt "saying" I hear you.

Glad you are enjoying the training.

20. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Koyo is right (Hi Bill Tommo here)
    When I was uke to Bill I got "tapped" a couple of times in the face my own fault, due to lack of concentration or I just did not defend myself properly.My sensei did not apologise to me I said sorry to him.
    Koyo said "Do not get hit, that is the first principle taught", as I did I did not follow that principle, but I learned fast:evil:
    Tommo