Shaolin Kempo Technique Archive

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Matthew Barnes, May 25, 2006.

1. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

You opened up "lighting both ends of the candlestick" , and your acting like you didn't. I don't care, we are differant arts but your leading back to my instructor after the other thread was locked.

My vision of kempo-cancer isn't curable. :bang:

2. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Perhaps it was a Rorshach test?

What you see in my intentionally bland generalities is your own. If you see a monster in the inkblot, you brought it with you. I can (but won't) name several instructors that fit the description I offered.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have the 20 that were posted by Bruce Corrigan a long time ago. Should I post them alongside or in a separate page?

Matt

3. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

What are you talking about? I don't know anyone except Hanshi and you know what you meant in "your" words. Be a man about it and be true.

If you want to post whatever that 20 posted by Bruce. Thats your buisness. It has nothing to do with me.

4. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

Just zap me your Email address to genghis (at) engineer.flyer.co.uk and you'd be most welcome (also most welcome to come and train, but I think that you're about right about the swim, although my dojo is right next to the Thames so you could come the whole way without having to dry off).

I run a small dojo within the British Kempo Society, calling my club style Aiki Kempo Jiu Jitsu. As a society we're a bit odd, every club sets it's own syllabus (which at-least means that I agree with everything that I'm teaching), albeit with a common core that I'm sure you chaps would recognise.

My Sensei is/was Warren Palmer who is a 2nd Dan in Ryukyu Kempo, his Sensei was Prof. Leon Jay (9th Dan, Small Circle Jiu Jitsu) although he was graded to 2nd Dan by Renshi Ben Ledwick (4th Dan, Kempo Ju Jitsu).

My style of teaching is primarily Warren's (which is primarily a mix of small circle JJ, and Gojo Ryu Karate), but influenced from all sorts of places.

I make no claims for purity of style!, only effectiveness. All the BKS instructors take great pride in the fact that we'll steal and adopt any technique that works!

G

Last edited: May 26, 2006
  5. Matthew Barnes

It doesn't have to be about you.

So far, you have hopped in to 'protect' your teacher against a generalization about frauds, yet you seem intent on bringing his name up. I won't help you with that. I made a purposely general statement. If you insist on attaching it to your teacher, I can't stop you, but I won't do it for you.

Sorry, that was a non-sequitur. The meanwhile back at the ranch part was meant to indicate that I was hoping to get back to the topic of the thread. It was a post, not necessarily a private message directed at you. I was merely asking for input from the kempo folk as to how I should handle it as it is related somewhat to the topic at hand. Sorry for any confusion.

Matt

6. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

I needed to tell you why I popped in and distinguish it from misrepresentation. If you insist that you are generalizing even though it is quite coinciently like that crap was based before.

Whatever, if you truly want it "to shine" you may want to choose your words better because I wasn't the only one who saw it.

7. Matthew Barnes

Would you feel better if I had said California?

Okay. I think I do choose my words carefully. Like I said, I can, but won't name more than one person who fits that description. Coast to coast and in between.

If you or someone else feels like it hits too close to home, perhaps some introspection is in order.

8. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

Wow, the paranoia getting pretty bad around here.

9. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

John, honestly. Does it look like he was not leading somewhere with this?

10. John Bishop

John Bishop Valued Member

If he was leading it somewhere, the only one who took the bait is you. And by your taking the bait, you've brought more attention back to the situation that you said has now been "locked/closed".
    Nobody else has responded, so now people are going to start looking at your previous posts to see what your all shook up about. Before a few people might of had a little laugh to themselves, and went on discussing the main point of the topic (SKK techniques), but now everyone's going to wonder why your so upset.
    So, if you keep jumping on every topic that says, or infers some unmentioned person might be a "fraud", your going to bring more attention to the previously discussed "locked" topic.

11. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

It was noted on the very first reponse, post #2.

12. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

13. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

yeah, i picked up on that too. but i just looked at it as a cheap shot from a friend/ally of the kgs bbs. i asked in which way was this going to be taken and i got a responses. So far it has been positive.

just let the comment go. nothing is going to be accomplished by arguing over what people thing about CNG or Hanshi Angel. just drop it so the thread doesn't get locked. and on another note: if someone isn't going to take the time to meet those guys so they can make up their own mind then don't bother arguing with them. they have what they think is credible sources and that's fine. let's just get on with our lives and study the arts. it looks like we have a great oppurtunity here before us.

respectfully,
    josh

14. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

Could I just mention that most of us have no clue what this background "political" conversation means, and probably care rather less.

G

15. kempojosh

kempojosh Valued Member

Sounds good. let's just stick to the thread.akja, if you want to continue this with matthew barnes just shoot him so private messages or emails or something.

16. Matthew Barnes

Mostly up.

The techniques numbered 1-40 are almost all up.

Special thanks to Ben for the early ones.

Matt

17. bill007

bill007 New Member

Do you have the 5 animals techniques Matthew? I heard they were not teach in the U.S. Schools, don't know if it was true or not.

18. Matthew Barnes

Actually, we have a bunch of them but...

We have a lot of 'animal' techniques - tiger, leopard, snake, crane,dragon- but they don't necessarily represent '5 animal kung fu' as has often been suggested. Back in the 1970's (according to someone who was there at the time) the animal idea was borrowed as an organizational tool to keep track of the huge number of kempo techniques they had (and it was cool to be 'kung fu fighting' at the time) so that all of the close range ones were 'tigers' and all the big circle ones were 'cranes' and so on. It was a clever way of sorting by range and movement pattern. This is again speaking from a strictly Shaolin Kempo standpoint.

After I get to work on the kempos, perhaps then animal techniques could be next? It might even be easier as we could have a 'tiger page' a 'crane page' and so on. I've got about a zillion in my notes.

Matt

19. DAnjo

DAnjo Valued Member

Matt,

Nice job and a good idea. I hope you're planning to put Honsuki up and Sho Tang Kwok (or whatever spelling you have for it).

20. Matthew Barnes

Thanks - we'll see how far I get.

Thanks, just trying to help. I hope to have the whole (or as much as I can get my hands on) enchilada up at some point, but that's probably a long term project.

There's a clip of me doing Honsuki (with me botching the salutation) up somewhere. I don't recall off the top of my head, but it's linked to a thread here I think. I do have Shou Ton Kwok (or however anyone spells it) written up somewhere, but I think forms will wait a bit. However, if folks submit them it will nudge me to speed up the process. I'm taking a summer course right now (Physiology of Exercise) that started yesterday, so things might be slow for a month.

Matt