Server move

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hongkongfuey, Nov 29, 2003.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Martial Arts Planet has for many years been running on a server provided by member Forbes (Ghostsuit) who helped Cooler set this site up. It has now got to such a size where we feel we should really be on our own server, and today we moved over to our new setup.

Shortly we will be carrying out several upgrades to this site, to bring more features to the members. We hope you are going to like what is coming over the next few months.

On behalf of everyone at MAP I'd like to thank Forbes for all the help and support he has given us over the last two and a half years. Forbes has moved on to other projects now, and you can catch up with him over at www.alternativenation.net

The MAP Team.

2. Cain

Cain New Member

Cool! I always wondered why Ghostsuit did'nt show up much, BTW that sig is damn cool HKF! Where could I get one of those thingys? ;)

|Cain|

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yeah, I wonder where 'ole GS had been hiding!

Good work fellas!

In a stealthy voice

These improvements wouldn't inculde BIG pictures of Holly Valance would they?

;)

4. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Or even free online pizza deliveries by Holly Valance :D

5. hongkongfuey

I could tell you. But then I'd have to kill you.

Ho ho ho Merry Christmas. :D

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Yup, megathanks for everything Forbes.

Don't be a stranger! ;)

7. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

yeah cheers forbes.....

your one reluctant student!

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Hehe, did some research of my own found that the source code is not for free :(

But c'mon, if you tell me I'll kill myself :D

|Cain|

9. hongkongfuey

Cain,

the source code is not free, but you can use it for free by following the instructions on their site.

I assume the source code would allow you to add your own messages etc - well cool. :D

10. Adam

Adam New Member

This new server is hella cool Hongkongfuey. MAP loads almost twice as fast for me now. Phums up! :D

11. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That's 'coc the banner ads have gone Adam.

Unfortunately that means NO income to pay for MAP as of now.

Feel free to donate! :D

12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

MAP with no banners! :D

Yippee!

C'mon folks, spare a dime, it's been a good year.

What's it been worth to you?

13. Jim

Jim New Member

Bit sad... Forbes was the first one I 'talked' to in the chatroom all that time ago. Hope he will come back on 'special occasions'.

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Great work, and no pop-ups to drive me crazy either. When you have 3 windows of MAP open, that adds up to lots of pop-ups :D.

Without sounding like a whiner, could you please give us some warning next time the site needs to be temporarily shut down, I would have gone on earlier so I could have finished everything in time. Still, lack of ads is worth 1 night with less MAP than I would have liked :D

One more suggestion, now there is a huge blank space at the top, maybe we can fill it with something of interest to us. It could be an ad for MA related stuff, which could help pay for the site at least a bit (but no pop-ups :mad: ) or even a link to make a donation.

PS Love the sig HKF

15. hongkongfuey

sorry about that - hadn't planned to do it on Saturday, but a few things happened to scupper my other plans so all became a bit last minute.

one of those will be happening this week. Watch this space (pun intented! :D)

16. Cain

Cain New Member

Damn! I can't wait!!! :D

|Cain|

17. YODA

How about a big 400 x 100 DONATE! button?

Come on guys - no banner or pop ups means we're paying for this outa our own pockets.

18. hongkongfuey

Until my wife finds out......

19. YODA

LOL!

Now THAT I can relate to :D

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

HKF, can we get an address for cheque donations or something, Paypal don't like my address for some reason :(

Doesn't stop the credit card company from sending me my bill though! :(

Col