Sensi/teachers as job references?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by dragon_bunny, Jun 29, 2004.

1. dragon_bunny

dragon_bunny Valued Member

Hi
    i just graduated from uni (yay :) ) but now i have to get a job ( :eek: ) and as most jobs require references this may not be the easist thing (i have no one to give one, every boss i've had has either retired more moved to a new work place.. yes i'm paranoid ;) )
    so i was wondering
    as a teacher of martial arts would you be willing to give you students a reference?
    And employers.. would you accept it?

not that i'm planning to ask my sensi i was just wondering :)

2. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Congrats on graduating!!!! I am an employer so that is what my answer is based on. If your grades at uni, all other skills being equal and a glowing reference from someone who had known you for years,such as your sensei, could attest to your ability to learn, adapt and handle pressure were presented to me it would all be good.

As far as the 'missing' references go - if they really aren't applicable to your new line of work or were just summer jobs I wouldn't worry too much about them. Put down names and numbers of the companies you worked for and if they are checked on the interviewer will soon find out your direct supervisors have either retired or moved on. It is best that you are open about these things, I have checked references in my time and even if your supervisor is no longer there if you had done something really awful or been fired it is usually still on file so I would be able to find out the important stuff anyway.

Very often what it takes to be a good MA'ist is very similar to what it takes to be a good employee. Like I listed before, your ability to learn, adapt, handle pressure, getting along with other students, how you react to authority - all of these things are in evidence in MA as well as work place. So good luck!!!!

3. dragon_bunny

ah cool :) thank you .. i was kinda worried that everyone who i'd worked for had vanished but thats ok now i just have to find one of the pesky buggers. Selling my body for medical reaserch doesn't count huh? :D

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I think it might depend on the job. But as a general question, yes, I'd accept a reference from an instructor. I think, depending on how long you've been in training, that it would show a sense of determination and staying the course. I know in TKD, just behaving in the manner of the TKD tenets, courtesy, integrity, perseverance, self-control, and indominable spirit would tell me a lot. Congrats on graduating.

5. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

:eek: What kind of degree did you get for that?

6. dragon_bunny

seriously i got a biology degree :D... but umm i have student debts and overdraft.. so i'm trying to find a medical trail place near me that will pay me lots of money to let me stay with them for a week and let them poke me with needles... i have no shame :p

7. Chickenpants

Chickenpants New Member

Can you not ask one of your lecturers?
    Not sure about in Biology degrees, but in Computing we had lecturers overseeing our individual projects etc, who were generally quite willing to act as references.

Paul.

8. teacher

teacher Valued Member

A good reference from an adult who has seen you working developing and overcoming obstacles. Sure it could be a good thing.
    Careful though not everyone is comfortable writing a letter like that.
    Remember the first time you did a jumping kick,,,nervous ?
    Give your teacher a bit of warning, they may never have done this before.

Best of luck with selling your body.
    I got a 10 day holiday in sunny south of England when they tried to cure the common cold with my help.
    Not a lot of money in it but they did provide enourmous amounts of food. :D

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yes selling your body can be profitable, unfortunately, no one wants mine.... :cry:

10. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

On the subject of references:

You usually submit two contacts;

a. First, your current/previous employer OR University/College Lecturer if you have just left there.

b. Second, a person of 'good standing' who can give you a personal reference. This person has usually known you for at least 2 years. So, if your Sensei fits the bill, you are in business!

Make sure you ask first though. :eek:

Cheers. :)

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

As a previous manager i would advise against using your teacher, you are shortly to become a professional as in this circumstance i would either find a work reference or use your lecturers,

if people you knew in old employment have left you can still send a reference to the HR dept, they should have you on file and should be able to provide a good ref, remember employers from good companies are not looking for "she was a nice cheery girl" they will be looking at a professional view and your sensei could be your dad or your husband for all they know.

I also train for interview technques for a price!!

Seriously though you need to look as professional as poss, happy hunting

Greg

12. Jim

Jim New Member

I've given a few personal references for students in the past. The last time was about 2 years ago. He got the job :D

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I would NOT give a martial arts instructor as a job reference. Every time I've mentioned that I do martial arts at job interviews it has been seen in a negative light.

14. dragon_bunny

ok that seems like a resounding yes.. and no.. humm.. guess it depends on the boss..

i have got my project tutor at uni for a reference but most people want more than one which is what i'm struggling to find.