Sensei or Sabum-Koren

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by eudobex, Apr 8, 2005.

1. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Sensei or Sabum-Korean

I have always been taught that in TKD we learn Korean and that instrucor was sabum in korean. I have also been told by my ninja's instrucor that Sensei is the Japanese term. I was just woundering how it was that people are calling there instrucors sensei if TKD is a korean martial art. I also kinda wonder why it is that is we all learn korean so that we can train around the world and that we will all be in the same language, when there seem to be variations on the korean. For instance, when some one I know trained in Spain the korean ws different to that in england. And we have a canadian boy in our class who has learnt completely different korean to us, so surely its not all korean. I was just woundering other peoples views on this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  2. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Here it is... There are several things to take into consideration when asking/answering this question. Here are some of the possibilities!

1. There are regional dialects on the Korean Peninsula

2. Many different ways of saying the same thing (just as School and Training Facility carry the same definition in English)

3. Different instructors, dojangs, and organizations use different terminology.

Could you afford me a few examples of these differences for a more specific answer?

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

3. Rogin

Rogin New Member

I think Sensei is more recognizable and its pronunciation is easier for most Westerners.

Being Korean, I can tell you a lot of Korean is butchered by non-native Korean speakers, so that might account for the variation you see. Also, there are many variations of the Korean language depending on geography and other such things, so that may be what you are experiencing.

Any examples?

4. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

I also dislike it when People who practice TKD use words like sensei or sifu. It urks me because like mentioned, it's Korean. In my school we use the term sir or ma'am. It's easier for the little kids. BUT That doesn't mean we don't incorperate Korean into anyclasses. The head master is Korean himself and he uses korean all of the time. When we bow to the flags and the instructor the term sabum is used and the word for flag (which I can say but cannot spell- but I'll try- and if it doesn't read like it should be said, I'm sorry ) I'll tryy to do it (phoenetically now I know thats not spelled correctly :) kookadeh- oh ? something like that. I can say... just not spell it.

Anyways,
    Thats my opinion and if anyone ever encounters a beginner that likes to use the term sensei and is in TKD please correct them. Also, I know that many other artists come and view different arts' threads, and if your talking with anyone please just let them know! But I guess in the long run it's not going to cause a mayjor problem! :)

5. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Yeah we use sir and ma'am as well, I find it strange people refere to them as Sensei.

6. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

When I was studying in Singapore, we always used "Sir" and referred to our teachers as "Instructors" or "Masters". Korean was only used to name patterns, give commands and for refereeing.

7. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

In a thread on the pronounciation of Tang Soo Do - my instructor (got out of that trap :D) gave the folllowing quote:

8. midnightsun955

midnightsun955 Valued Member

We use Sir aswell.
    But, I was always thinking it's "sabunim" not sabum? What does each mean, is there a difference, whats the right one or are they both right?

9. Kwondo

My guess is it means the same thing, just conjugated differently for the sentence. We don't have many rules like that in english- save for a few like:

"He plays," and "They play." One has an 's'.

It's more abundant in french too but it follows the same example as above.

'He plays' is 'Il joue' and 'they play' is "Ils jouent"

Thats my guess. I'm probably totally wrong but it was worth a shot right?

10. ITDFboosabum

ITDFboosabum New Member

we use sir or ma'am but at beginning and end of class we either use boosabum for assistant instructors and sabum for instructors and i cant remmebr for the higher ones but i've never ever called my instructor/s sensei...its not a japanese art. Taekwondo is korean!

11. taekwondo_gurl

taekwondo_gurl New Member

At my dojang, we address the master as Sa Ba Nim and the other Instructors formally we use Kyo Ba Nim at the end of class when we say Kum Sa Hap Nida ....otherwise in class we use maam or sir

12. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

If you guys want a really good resource of korean terms. My association has a huge terminology list. http://www.kuksoolwon.com/kuksool02.html

we do have more titles though so you have to sift through a bit :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  13. Kwondo

I'm just curious... what do all of the stripes on your belt mean? :)

14. Still Waters

Still Waters New Member

'Nim' is used when you are talking about another person. 'Nim' is an honorific used in Korea attached to a title or description (not a name). You would never use 'nim when talking about youself. For example you would call the sabum 'Sabumnim' but if you were describing or talking about yourself you would say 'I am a sabum'.

The next level up from Sabumnim (in WTF terminology) is Kwanjangnim (grandmaster)

This is partly because in Korea it is a disrespect to call your superior/elder by name. Even younger brothers or sisters have to use special titles for their older brother or sister and not their name.

In fact one of my Korean co-workers was asking one of the American teachers what his wife's English name was (she doesn't have one). When he asked her why she was asking, she told him that she could call her by name instead of 'oni' (older sister)

15. Wolf

In KSW when you first achieve brown belt your title is Ja Tti. Once you begin the testing process for Jo Kyo Nim (1st Dan), you become a black belt candidate or Dan Bo Nim. You must test 6 times before you can be promoted to Jo Kyo Nim. So, one stripe is for each test. That's a slightly roundabout reason, but that's why I have all the stripes. :D

16. TXKukSoolBB

TXKukSoolBB Valued Member

KSW Testing

...Those six tests are a minimum. I have seen black belt candidates with 8-10 stripes. I know here in Texas, the black belt testing cycle takes over one year to complete. For some, it takes longer. That is one of the main reasons that promotion ceremony is so memorable. And to KSWPaul, good luck at your next testing.

17. Wolf

Thanks! 9 Days until my final test as a Dan Bo Nim (at the St. Louis Tournament), If all goes well I should promote there! :D

18. traz

traz New Member

I call my Hapkido instructor Sifu...he's chinese from Hong Kong, so it makes sense to me to call him teacher in HIS language. All the commands we use and terms for moves etc are done in Korean.

19. Kwondo

That makes sense. But does he perfer it is the question. does he? Or is he indifferent about it.