Seminar Question

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mianbao shifu, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Mianbao shifu

Mianbao shifu Just standing around

Would you be more likely to attend a seminar with a teacher from China, who currently lives in China, who is highly skilled, but you likely never heard of?

Or would you be more likely to attend a seminar with a teacher from China, who currently lives in the USA, who is highly skilled, who you may have heard of?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I'm guessing most people would be drawn to the name they have heard of all else being equal - I think I would. I'm not sure the rest comes into it, assuming location of seminar to be the same. Where they reside wouldn't really be an issue either for me. The material being taught and the quality of the instructor are what would concern me.

Having not heard of someone isn't bad, you can research for example. But I think most people would find less of a barrier to attendance if it was someone they knew of. In all likelihood this teacher would likely draw more attendees purely on the virtue of that.

3. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

How do I know people are highly skilled if I haven't heard of them?

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Physiologically its a straight 50 / 50 split.

The known person is interesting because what they say is likely to fit in with what we already know. we are all interested in the familiar (hence the attraction of soaps)

The unknown person is equally interesting but because what they say is likely to be new and unfamiliar. we are all interested in the unfamiliar (hence the attraction of reality tv)

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

If both seminars were offered in the same place, I'd attend both. If both were the same place, day, and time, I guess I'd look them up online and see which one looks more interesting.

I love going to seminars... if they close and I can attend, I will.

6. Mianbao shifu

Thanks for the answers.

I do not want to get into do much detail, because this is not an add, it was a question to help figure out a direction. I hope get a few of my teachers come to my area to teach a seminar or two (possible next year), not so much to make money, (although I do not want to go broke doing this either) but more so I don't have to travel to train for a change, the older I get the less I like to travel it seems.

The question comes from a discussion my wife (also from Mainland China) and I have been having about it and she is of the belief that "Master from China" is more impressive, and bring in more people, than "Chinese master in America". And for whatever it is worth, I have trained with both gentlemen in Dachengquan, however I have not yet discussed this with the one in the USA so he may not be interested in doing this at all.

As for me, something I just realized I forgot to mention in my first post, I think it would be much easier for those I know would attend and those that might to learn from the gentleman here in America since he speaks english rather well. The gentleman from China does not speak english at all and I have a hard enough time understanding him, so it is likely my wife would need to be a translator.

Thanks and I would still appreciate any input that anyone could give me on this.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  7. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In my experience the success or failure of the event will mostly be dependent on your own students, so best to ask them.

8. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Seminars are great , whether a local country guy or a foreign country guy, but most people don't pick up that much for the time and effort involved when it comes to subtle CMA. Really, most students aren't advanced enough to truly appreciate what they might see. These same students would probably benefit as much more from listening/training harder at your club. You have experienced what they are going to learn as a westerner and can most likley translate some of the things into more comprehensible forms than likely either of the two sifus you mention.

You don't really like to travel at your age? How kind are you being to your teachers heh heh...

:' D

LFD

9. Mianbao shifu

I'm actually 5 years older than the one in China :D

The one here though is considerably older, and damn if he does not move better, and faster, than me :D