Selective Thread Closing?

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by TigerGrishkin, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

I asked a poster some questions about a story he related about Korean SF TKD training. The questions were pointed, but were neither disrespectful nor loaded. The thread subsequently derailed into complete nonsense, and was eventually closed.

But it was apparently opened briefly for the sole purpose of allowing the original poster to "rebut" my challenge with more nonsense. Then it was immediately reclosed.

Is this typical behavior? I find this to be immature, arbitrary, and petty. All of which I have been accused of being by some of your moderators simply for having asked questions.

So you would rather have ignorance and mythology rule the board rather than keep a poster who has actually trained with ROK military units?

I'll have no more of this supposedly "expert" board and the "wealth of knowledge" it has to offer.

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

If you could post a link to said thread, or even a title I could look into that.

It's possible the post you mentioned was being made AS the thread was being closed, and high-jumped the moderators closing comments.

It's happened before.

3. TigerGrishkin

TigerGrishkin Banned Banned

4. Andy Murray

Looks to me like that threads been split, but the re-directs missing.

Stick a longer fuse in TG, and let's see what happens.

For the record, presuming as most staff here do, that you're Osiris, your questions are indeed welcome, but most of them seem to belong on the MMA forum, where you're welcome to roll with Trent and Levo to your hearts content.

5. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Well don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you, drama queen.

6. Andy Murray

Easy shorty! :D

7. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

*Tap* *Tap* Is this thing on?

I guess he was right, I was un-banned.

Anyway, as Osiris is a regular over at my site (and contrary to what your perception of him seems to be, one of the more vocal TKD advocates we have), I'm pretty sure he's never trained with the ROK.

I've been keeping an eye on this thread, and a few others, because the way things are seemingly done around here is the anthesis of how I run Bullshido, and thusly it serves as an example of what not to do if you care about fostering open, productive, honest discussion.

That might come as a dig, and we'll see how long you let this post stay unedited/un-deleted, all things considered. But essentially, it seems like any opinion that does not uphold the norm ( norm being such faire as "TKD is 3000 years old and high kicks were for kicking people off horses") is met with derrision, scorn, and outright hostility, while the poster is inundated with low-rent ad hominem attacks for being "juvenile, immature, and 'a troll'". And this not only condoned by some of the moderators and staff, but they are active participants!

Now I realize that most people who get into martial arts do so with fantasies of being action heroes in their heads. And conversely, there are many unscrupulous people out there willing to sell them what they want. But what I can't comprehend is how anyone with any moral character could be complicit in spreading such myths and fantasies, when factual history exists much to the contrary of many claims, and the means to prove an art's effectiveness against a single person, in a relatively safe medium, is abundantly available.

Osiris believes TKD can work, and puts his training and hind-quarters on the line to prove it.

Shame on anyone else who won't.

Love and Kisses,

Phrost
    Amatuer MMA Fighter, Team AJJ
    Site Director, Bullshido.com
    Exposing Fraud in the Martial Arts

8. Andy Murray

Re: *Tap* *Tap* Is this thing on?

1/ You were never banned. Nice one, start with a lie.

2/ Allow me to be the first to guffaw at you.

3/ Read the forum, maybe you can find some quotes, links to support your misconception?

o you're saying TigerGrishkin is Osiris?

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've seen bullshido, thats why I'm at MAP....thank you very much.

10. Budd

Budd Valued Member

I haven't seen much of what Phrost is claiming, I haven't met with any disdain for some of my less-than-partyline comments. At the same time, I'm pretty sure that Osiris isn't TigerSoandSo, I lurk over at Bullshido (they can be pretty anti-aikido) and Osiris usually doesn't post like that.

If what Phrost said was true, though, that would be pretty uncool.

11. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

A lie?

A. According to one of your moderators posting anonymously on Bullshido (you, perhaps?) I had several posts here (years ago) that were deleted.

B. Several months ago, when I checked to see if I could contribute to a discussion, I got the standard, VBulletin "You do not have access" message block.

C. Upon mentioning this in a discussion to said anon moderator, it was denied, and I now have access again to post.

So perhaps it wasn't a 'ban' specifically. Maybe I was moved to the "users awaiting email notification" group or some such. Regardless, the point stands that I did not have access to post, after having posted at least once before.

Spin that how you will.

To your second point: Guffaw all you will, I'm glad I can bring cheer to your world.

And to your third, sure. As soon as I get back from the gym and get some work done, I'll provide said links, assuming this post is still here, and the thread not locked.

By the way, are you being intentionally obtuse about Osiris? I explained how TG is unequivocally NOT Osiris, and in such context your final statement makes little sense. Perhaps I just don't understand your humor.

Let me restate it, in "Scottish".

Nae, Osiris is not fooking TigerWhomever.

Better?

12. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

By the way, the ruins of my family's castle still stand in Glen Orchy, so I can make such a jab in good faith. :)

13. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Hey Phrost--
    I go to bullshido all the time. You know why? So I can see how NOT to post. I have yet to see a single thread in your site not devolve into a flurry of STFUNOOB and misspelled taunting. You want entertainment ala horrible American reality programming (meaning NO reality at all) go to bullshido. You want helpful, civilized discussion? Come here. But then again, seeing your number of posts, I feel confident saying.

I edited myself for blatent trolling. See what happens!?

14. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

con·text ( P ) (kntkst)
    n.
    The part of a text or statement that surrounds a particular word or passage and determines its meaning.
    The circumstances in which an event occurs; a setting.

Now see, that whole "STFU N00B" thing started facetiously, to make fun of the sincere STFU NOOBs that were being tossed around on Sherdog.com. It became a running, inside joke, and a tongue-in-cheek way to welcome people to the site.

We've recently put it to rest. Sorry to disappoint on that front.

Addddd Hominemhominemhominemhominem.

15. Andy Murray

A. You spammed MAP for the then Mcdojo.com forums, crossposting in various sections of the forum and contributing nothing. The posts were removed as Spam. End of story.

B. Nonsense.

C. Yup, I checked to see if you were banned, and you weren't, that's when I emailed you your username and password.

D. As above.

E. Knock yourself out.

F. Actually no, the staff here were enjoying Osiris's posts, and it's a shame he broke the forum rules by swearing resulting in a ban. He was however offered an email, and could have been re-instated at any time. The choice was his.

16. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

They do a lovely venison at the Bridge of Orchy hotel.

17. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

(Still haven't left for the gym, answering PMs over at my site).

I've been meaning to get over there sometime. You realize we can't get Haggis in the US? I've tried to find a place online that'll ship here, but I guess because of Mad Cow or something, nobody can.

As far as being banned, unless I'm just punchy, I swear that's the case. But I'm pretty sure you know that already.

SPIN!

18. Andy Murray

The only one spinning is you.

I'm pretty sure we can organise some Haggis for you though.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1997

19. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Hey,

Wasn't the band Dead or Alive (of "You Spin Me" fame) from Scotland?

If so, isn't it amazing how it's all related?

20. Phrost

Phrost Banned Banned

At this point I'd suspect treachery regarding the contents of the haggis, so I think I'll hold off until I visit. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.