Sekai Dentokan Bugei Renmei.

Discussion in 'Koryu Bujutsu' started by fred123, Nov 9, 2011.

1. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Hi,

Is Dentokan a legitimate system as far as lineage goes?im aware its not a koryu system but does anyone here train in it or know anyone that does.i would like to train a traditional jujutsu or kenjutsu but unfortunately there is very limited access in my city.im aware they teach some sort of jujitsu and iaido.

Thanks

2. Sommikori

Sommikori Banned Banned

Hi... I am new out here... I want to know that what is this forum all about... And what are we supposed to post in here... I shall be grateful on knowing...!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Sommikori, you have asked the same question in other threads.

I'm sure you are aware this is a martial arts forum, so what do you study?

You need to explain a little about yourself, as your posts so far appear a little suspect.

4. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Is there a better place to post this question?

5. beer_belly

beer_belly Valued Member

fred123 I think since the school in question do not do koryu sword and have Toyama as their iai core (looking at their website) you might have been better off in the weapons forum further down the page rather than koryu.

6. Sanke

Sanke Valued Member

Seems your thread got a bit derailed by Sommikori's appearance, but to get back to the topic, I'm kinda confused.
    Is Sekai Dentokan Bugei Renmei a system or an organisation? On their website, (provided I've gone to the right place: http://www.dentokanhombu.com/2.0/about.htm) it's got 'inc' at the end. You don't usually find many legit systems ending that way :p

From the looks of the site, they seem to practice:
    "Shorin-Ryu Karate-Do, Goju-Ryu Karate-Do, Okinawa Kobudo, Ju-Jutsu/Aiki-Jutsu, and Iai-Jutsu/Batto Do."
    Which is a tad vague.
    Have you had any experience with them before?

Edit: After looking at some of the videos of their iai kata, I've got some pretty serious doubts...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Cheers Sanke

Thats what i was wondering,id like to find something with a legitimate lineage
    I have my doubts unfortunetely...

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Have a look on ebudo, thats the place to go for serious JMA. I seem to remember they are thought of quite well, but I may well be mistaken.

9. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

Hey Fred
    I agree that you should ask this question at e-budo in their jujutsu forum. THey have some very knowledgeable folks there.
    If you'll tell us where you are, someone may be able to suggest a koryu school for you to visit. Many of them don't advertise themselves.

10. fred123

fred123 Valued Member

Ok guys i will post it there,cheers

p.s. I live in Dublin Ireland.i pretty sure koryu jujustu schools are non existent here.I know there is decent Iaido school here and any webite offering koryu is bujinkan which is not my cup of tea.

Thanks

11. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Fred,

Check your private messages.

Thanks.

12. Graham

Graham Valued Member

I've trained with Dentokan. It is essentially an organisation that teaches the arts that the head, Jerry Hobbs, has studied over the years. He is a US military man (retired) who trained a lot in the USA since he was young and later was stationed in Japan where he studied a lot too.

As I understand it he has several legitimate high grades in various styles of karate, as well as Hakko ryu jujutsu. The organisation is worldwide, mainly due to him teaching while stationed in different countries. The schools remained when he moved on.

I think his qualifications are generally considered legit.

As for the organisation, my personal opinion is that standards vary hugely, as it is smallish, but very widely distributed across the globe. Also, it could be argued that it handles too many arts, diluting the expertise.

None of what is taught is koryu (nor does it claim to be), but it is generally more traditional than most other organisations in the West that teach Japanese martial arts.

Graham

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  13. John Timmons

John Timmons Valued Member

You could add Jerry Hobbs on Facebook an ask him, hes very approachable.