Seeking male opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by benkei, Sep 18, 2011.

1. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Hi guys,

I'm currently writing my masters thesis and would like to ask a favour of you (especially the younger guys on here). I have links for two army recruitment videos below - one is a recent one for the Australian army and the other for the U.S. army. Now, if you're from either country, please really try to separate your nationality from the equation (I know that's not an easy thing to do). I'm mainly after what emotions these two videos give you, so try to switch of your intellect as much as possible rather than critiquing them like Roger Ebert.

How old are you and have you ever considered military enlistment?
    How do each of these ads make you feel?
    Which of these ads would make you want to join the army more and why?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X99oYW75jkM"]Australian Army Recruitment Ad - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlzdZqSVbJ4"]Awesome US ARMY Recruiting Commercial - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks!

2. tkd GU

tkd GU Valued Member

Navy because USA rocks!

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Well done on not answering any of his questions :rolleyes:

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Why male opinions? Can't girls join the army?

5. benkei

benkei Valued Member

I'm happy for the girls to chime in, but that is a subject beyond the scope of my thesis, hence why I am after male opinions.

6. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

After careful consideration I have to go with the US ad - largely because the music was better. Additionally it covered more themes, but it was 2-1/2 times longer. Overall I found it more stirring, with more emphasis on "what the army can make you".

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I found them bothe quite cheesy, more-so the american one. I'm 20 years old and have considered the Army before (Infantry).

Best military adverts in the world are the Royal Marines adverts.

8. melbgoju

melbgoju Valued Member

I couldn't divorce my cultural predispositions from my response. Archival footage of diggers and the rising sun badge sucked me right in.

So: I'm 36, and yes I have - still may join the reserves in the future (4 more years to go before I'm too old)

The australian ad made me feel that in joining I would be part of something bigger than myself - that through my contributions I would be making my country a better place. The american ad made me feel that in joining I would become a stronger person - that through my contributions I would be making myself a better person.

And, as I said above, the australian ad.

9. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I agree both were cheesy but that's recruitment for you. Plus American advertising in general seems to always be quite...fake, or at least more "BOOM, BUY THIS YOU PURE GOD OF MASCULINITY KA-POW."

To answer your questions OP
    18, and yes. Been career goal for the last 6 or so years I think

The Australian one to me felt kind of like a soap. It was nice and it showed all the good things soldiers can do and the positive impact they can make but I kind of felt like they were glossing over the whole fightging aspect. No recruitment advert shows what war is actually like obviously but it still felt more like a recruitment ad for a police force or a nursing corp rather than the army as a whole

While I'm not a fan of the aforementioned in your face style American tv seems to have this one did work better. Also had to ignore the "on this green Earth, there is no better weapon..." or whatever it said as it was stupidly cheesy and felt too bible bashing. That said the advert had more of a sense of pride and personal empowerment if that makes sense? The Aussie one was kind of "join and do these nice things" the US one had more of a "join and be someone" vibe in my opinion. Also feel the US ad played up the camaderie aspects a bit more. Australian one focused a lot on what the army does for other people while the American was less shy of playing themselves up.

US one for the reasons above espcially the pride and empowerment points. They're two reasons that have drawn me to the army in the first place. Plus it just looked more hardcore and fun. I may dub it the "Hoorah effect"

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  10. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The US one was trying to cash in on the myth of American exceptionalism, but since I don't buy into it, it just rubbed me up the wrong way. The Australian one was alright, but not great.

The British Armed Forces has in the last few years put out of load of vigenettes focusing on a particular soldier. I always thought they worked quite well as they focused on individuals in a particular role.

A couple for comparison:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2oEa0SLeiY"]British Army ''Combat'' Recruitment Advert **New** - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=971mV-vLIaw"]RAF Intelligence - New RAF TV Advert - 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

11. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That first British one is also the only one that really showed combat. Probably a shedload of bias kicking in but the number of videos I've seen from the Brit forces they seems to be more...honest... than for example the American one.

EDIT: Trying not to hijack the thread with videos from every country but I quite like Canada's ones

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzc_d6Ab1SI"]Canadian army recruiting video - YouTube[/ame]

Feels very minimalist but it makes me curious enough to want to go to their site. All the other video sort of did that but seem more about trying to get you to a recruitment office where as this one uses itself as a point of first contact.

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

This^

While the Australian one was nice, the commentator and the music, plus the clips, didn't really draw me in and serious interest me, nor motivate me.
    Oh, and I'm a under ~18 teenager who hasn't really considered joining the military as a future career.

13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. For those having trouble with separating their political beliefs/opinions of other countries, try to act as though BOTH of those ads are for the army of YOUR country. Hopefully that makes it easier to answer the questions.

14. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I'm 39 and I've definitely considered military enlistment.

The first ad makes me feel like I'd be in for more of an service-based adventure. The second ad gives me more of an idea that I'd be pushing myself, and being pushed, to beyond my limits. The flash of the soldier with the expression of "Whoa boy... I'm in it now, so here we go..." reinforces the idea that you're going to be facing dangerous challenges. And I could definitely see why the nationalism in the second ad would rub people the wrong way, but I can also see why that element is in there.

For recruitment purposes, I'd have to go with the second ad since it gives me the impression that if I survive it, I'll be a much stronger person with a solid future ahead of me.

15. Otataral

Otataral Sapientes Gladio

I vote the canadian one. but then again i'm bias. as for the two you posted, i suppose the american one stayed in my head longer.

16. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

BTW, forgot to answer the questions in the OP. I'm 36, and have considered military service previously.

The first (Australian) ad made me feel that as a member of the armed forces I would be going out and accomplishing something. The US ad made me feel that joining up would improve me as a person. TBH that appeals to me more.

The main reason I have never been to a recruitment office is because I have little faith in the whole "teamwork" deal. I don't like relying on others, which you have to do in the armed forces. The secondary reason is that I don't like the idea of dying horribly in some distant cesspit for political reasons that have little/nothing to do with me or Australia in general.

17. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Hi, benkei.

Although it's not my place, I apologize for those who posted competing recruitment videos, as they obviously don't understand the restrictions imposed on you in writing your dissertation. I hope the info you get from this thread works out well enough in that regard. :bow1:

And now to answer your questions:

How old are you and have you ever considered military enlistment?

I won't state my age, but suffice it to say that I'm well past being considered for military service. Hopefully my refusal on this point doesn't preclude any other info I divulge from being used (I do understand how these things work, so feel free to make up some number <60, yet >40, if hard-pressed for specifics).

Yes, I have considered enlisting before, even to the point of doing psychiatric evaluations (i.e. filling out lengthy questionnaires) and having a thorough physical exam taken.

How do each of these ads make you feel?

That's a fairly ambiguous question IMO. Neither video irritated me, inspired patriotism, nor made me reflect on service as a career option. Both utilized the mechanism of repeating a concept to drive home their point (often seen in political speeches, e.g. the "I have a dream" speech by MLK, jr.). One video focused on the dictionary definition of "strong" and how interpreting it through the lens of military service can change one's perspective of this word. The other reiterated the "whatever" phrase as a way of eliciting some sort of emotion or fervor. Being aware of such persuasive devices, I wasn't moved by either one. So I hope "nothing" will suffice as an answer to this question.

Which of these ads would make you want to join the army more and why?

I would choose the Aussie ad over the USA ad, since it appealed more to me as to why someone should enlist in the military. I believe that military service should be engaged because someone wants to serve their country, not because they want to make it into a career, or to use the knowledge they might gain as a road to self-improvement. That's not to say that such things don't happen, but they should be viewed as by-products of serving one's country, not as the core reason for enlisting in the first place.

Good Luck, benkei! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011