School & Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Chazz, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Chazz

Chazz Keepin it kickin TKD style

I know that some school have a weapon or two that they learn per rank. I was just wondering if everyone could tell what style they are in and the weapons they use and what rank they use them or teach them.

2. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

I seperated my weapons from the karate and use a seperate rank system.

I use

Bo, sai, tonfa, nunchaku, kama, eku, sansetsu kun, timbae and tekko.

I usually start with the bo, the go to nunchaku or sai, but it varies depending on the students interests and abilities.

Andrew

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I teach Doce Pares Eskrima, which as far as weapons go progresses like this...

Beginners..... Single & double stick / bolo

Red Belt (Grade 3) .... add Long stick / two handed sword (40")

Orange Belt (Grade 4) .... add Staff & Spear (60")

Blue Belt (Grade 6).... Add knife

Brown Belt (Grade 8) .... Add Stick & Dagger / Sword & Dagger

4. stump

stump Supersub

hi Yoda,

i was wondering if the grading sequance you mentioned there was the "official" Doce Pares colour sequence or a personal one for your school only?

5. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Yoda,

I wanna go to your class...

More weapons please :D

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

My instructor has recently given his curriculum an overhaul and I haven't got the breakdown memorized yet. But when I was coming up, we had 5 phases before testing for our instructorship.

Phase 1 included double stick and single stick work.

Phase 2 included some empty hand vs. knife stuff

Phase 3 included basic knife work and stick & knife work

Phase 4 included flexible weapons

Phase 5 included basic staff work

I'm currently in the process of organizing my own curriculum and will keep teach these in the same basic order when I start my school in October.

Mike

7. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

I teach weapons and we have a syllabus for it to, we also teach it within ju jitsu to, the weapons are
    Kubotan from orange belt (2nd grade)
    then there is a long gap next is
    Tanjo graded within the 2nd Dan (but we teach it from light Blue 3 from black)
    then the Jo done at 3rd Dan again teach from light Blue for the students can do the weapons syllabus (last lesson of the month) and this includes Jo, Tanjo, Nunchakus, Sai, Katana and a couple more.
    They have a 2 year learning plain and then they can grade for their Brown then they can grade up to 3rd Dan within that syllabus this is recognised by F.S.J.A, S.C.I and the S.D.F
    so its all offical.