Savate???

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by QuickFeet, Oct 21, 2005.

1. QuickFeet

QuickFeet New Member

Is there a seperate forum for savate, or is it just grouped in with 'kickboxing' and/or 'western martial arts'??

Any other tireurs out there??

2. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

savate forum

I think there are a few of us around... a place of our own would be good!
    :cool:

3. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

I dabble in savate...I suppose Boxe Francaise would be the correct term for what I practice. Not sure if there is enough interest for the art to have it's own forum but I would be a regular if it were so:)

4. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

I'd say kickboxing is the best place, since it's often referred to as French Kickboxing. A bunch of French sailors went to asia and learned kicking techniques, then came back to France and combined the kicking techniques with Boxing. This is a lot like American Kickboxing, which is a mix of Boxing and Karate.

5. Rochambo83

Rochambo83 Martial Artist

Do savate techniques differ from kickboxing/muay thai and TKD much? I've only seen a few techniques in magazines.

6. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

History of Savate

Erm... With the greatest of respect, I'd say that your knowledge of the history of Savate - Boxe Francaise is over-simplistic and somewhat sketchy at best. The sailor's kicking art was known as Chausson. It is far more likely that their kicking methods came from observing African slaves. As for Savate itself, that originated from the street fighting methods used by gangs and street thugs in the back-streets of Paris in the late 1700's.

There are a number of websites providing a far more detailed and accurate account of the origins of Savate - Boxe Francaise than the one you gave, including the following: www.cambridgemartialarts.com then click on Savate Kickboxing and then click again on History.

Pugil

7. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate - Muay Thai - Kickboxing

There are two elements to Savate: Savate Boxe (sport savate) and Savate Defence (street or self-defence savate). If you are asking about the sport version then I can inform you that in Savate Boxe they wear shoes. That is the first and most obvious difference to the other two disciplines.

Kicks are delivered with the shoes only (i.e. no shins or knees allowed in the sport version - unlike the street method) to all parts of the body apart from the groin and back of the head and neck.

Punching is with gloves not unlike regular Boxing gloves, excepting that the palms of the gloves are lightly padded. This is to assist in catching/parrying the toes and heels of the shoes.

I've no time to add more at this stage but that covers the main points.

Pugil

8. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Olie

Any chance of meeting up and doing some Savate with you - been a keen fan of it for a while to improve elements of my kicking?

9. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate training

Yes of course Sonshu. We have regular classes in Cambridge on Wednesday nights: 7 - 8.15pm (technical training) and 8.30 - 9.45pm (sparring), and on Sunday nights: 7 - 8.15pm & immediately 8.15 - 9.30pm. Tuesday nights we have a Focus Mitts class from 8.30 - 9.45pm and I quite often deliver that session with Savate in mind.

If you're interested, we also have a Savate training day here in Cambridge on Sunday 27th November.

As a full-time instructor I am also often available during the midweek daytime for private training sessions, and sometimes at the weekends - but the regular classes are of course cheaper to attend.

Pugil

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

the reason there isnt a savate forum is simply because i could probably count the people here who do it on my fingers and toes.

11. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Inability to count

Your inability to count as high as the number of fingers and toes you have has nothing to do with the fact that there isn't a forum specifically for Savate on the Martial Arts Planet. :rolleyes: :D

Pugil

12. Sonshu

I will be there for the 27th mate - at least me maybe others.

Also keen in on some sparring sessions. I think in a week or 2 I will come up.

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Excellent!

That'll be great Sonshu. Have you any prior experience of Savate at all?

Pugil

14. Sonshu

Basic understanding and history on it (from discovery channel and books!) and other than watching Gerrard Geordeau (sp) nope!

I have done cane, knife and kickboxing so is it much different to this would you say? Depending on what I have done in each?

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate differences

There are two main types of Savate Sonshu: 1) Sport (or 'Boxe') Savate, and 2) Street Savate - also known as 'Savate Defence'. Within those two areas there are sub-divisions, which I won't go into at this stage.

If we are looking at Boxe Savate (the sport), this looks similar to Kickboxing until you look a bit closer. The first and most obvious difference is the shoes. If you compare foam padded shin and insteps with Savate shoes (chasseurs) you'll start to understand how hard pointed toes and heels can be aimed at specific targets, such as the liver, solar plexus, etc. A heel stomped into the thigh, sternum or ribs, for another example, also quickly takes the wind out of your sails - so to speak.

As time is really short (I have another private session to do) I'll leave other differences to another time. If you do make it across to Cambridge sometime, however, you'll start to get a much better idea than any description I can provide you with on this medium.

Pugil

16. shaolin_hendrix

Only 9 people who have accounts on MAP list Savate as their MA style.
    Brise
    C.Henry
    celestialbadger
    KickyFaerie
    Patrick Hughes
    Pugil
    QuickFeet
    savateuse
    Silver Surfer

Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  17. kenpfrenger

kenpfrenger sportin' a Broughton

Make that 10 :)

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i still have 10 toes left, and if needed i can borrow a friends. but i wont need to because there arent enough people and also its not exactly a "popular" art outside of france so discussion about it like "hey did you see the latest savate finals in france" would be non existant.

just use the kickboxing forum.

19. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

They're not on here because...

Savateurs are not on here (the MAP) for three reasons:

1) There's no provision for them so they use other forums, and

2) They're busy training and/or working and don't have the time to post 10 or more nothing posts every day of their lives, and

3) Because they'd rather not receive the kind of welcome and lack of respect as people such as you will give them anyway!

Pugil

20. shaolin_hendrix

1) Savate fits into Kickboxing. There's no wrestling forum, and there are lots of wrestlers on MAP.
    2) MMA fighters train just as much, if not more than Savate people, and there are many MMA people on MAP.
    3) Ikken isn't showing any disrespect. He's merely stating that there aren't enough people who do Savate on MAP for it to be a good forum on its own.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005