Sat nav set to fail?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by bassai, May 20, 2009.

1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd be lost without sat nav now. (No pun intended). Sort it out!

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

They'll sort it out, the US military wouldn't be able to function without GPS anymore.

4. tellner

tellner Valued Member

holyheadjch, what's the downside?

5. holyheadjch

a lot more civilian casualties because they wont be able to pinpoint their air strikes as accurately. I consider that a pretty big downside.

6. Moi

They'll never find those WMD now

7. Topher

Topher allo!

Do the public and the military even use the same satelights?

8. holyheadjch

From my recollections of a report I wrote on the GPS system in 2003, yes, it's all one network. They used to limit the capabilities of the civvie network (spoofing, I think they called it), but they stopped that early in the decade.

9. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

My Sat Nav is already starting to fail.

It keeps telling me Liverpools in Europe!

</FootballJoke>

:D

10. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

All civilian versions of GPS have a code worked into them that will allow the military to totally shut it down if required in a time of war. SO...if an actual non-nuclear WWIII broke out, your GPS will be useless. (I say non-nuke, cause if it's a nuke war, we'll all be dead anyways...but I guess your body will know exactly where it's at).

Any problems WILL be fixed. Too much for the military, ALL militaries, not just the US, depends on it.

Though just so you know, all US Nukes will still be able to be launched and strike where they are supposed to.......

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

can anyone say military fund raiser? Yeah they need money so they leak stories like to get congress to release the cash. It won't happen.

The Bear.

12. Topher

Topher allo!

Isn't the problem that the US don't want to fund it all given that it is just not them that use it?

13. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

You dont think other country's that use it can use it for free do you ? I'm pretty sure everything that uses GPS has to pay to the USA.

14. Moi

I don't know if it can. The signal is there and anyone can use it. I've never paid a penny for sat nav and use it all day everyday at present. Cost me £30 to set up. Don't think the US gets any of that.

15. Custom Volusia

Custom Volusia Valued Member

Remember...GPS is USA....doesn't mean that is EXACTLY what you are using. The Russians had there own system that did the same thing (can't recall what it was right now). Wasn't as accurate though.

Don't know for sure what y'all are using over there, if it's ACTUAL GPS or not. Could be a European version of the exact same thing, just different satellites.

If it IS actual GPS then Martial Dad...er...MOI...is right...the signal is there...if you have a unit that can receive it then you are good to go.

16. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

But the satnav manufacturers probably have to pay a licence fee that finds it's way back , the original systems did have an annual subscription.

17. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I believe Europe's own version of GPS is due to be launched either next year or the year after. No idea how long it will take to set up (getting the multiple satellites up and all of the ground systems sorted).

18. holyheadjch

I'll bet you a pound to a penny it is late, over budget and crap. I'm also offering odds of 2/1 that they intend to charge a subscription for accessing the network and 5/1 it never gets finished because of budget constraints.

Say what you want about America, but you can always guarantee that they will throw a blank cheque at a problem before they even consider giving up. It's the cold war spirit after all.

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

20. Moi

:whistle: