Sanda/Sanshou in Sydney?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by ShogunGall, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

Hey everyone,

So if any of you are living in Sydney/New South Wales you may know that there is the NSW state Sanda titles coming up in about a week (it's out in Lithgow though, so definitely not close to Sydney). However, the ironic thing is that while there aren't actually any Sanda schools/schools that compete in Sanda frequently in or near Sydney itself.

I would really love to try out Sanda (or any Kung fu style that spars frequently), and the only one that seems to have any Sanda is Choy Lee Fut in Chinatown (the website for everyone is http://choyleefut.org). Does anyone know if this is a good school that spars frequently, and are there are other Kung fu schools that similarly spar near the city (or going down towards hurstville/Sutherland shire)? I do plan to check out this Choy Lee Fut place once they reopen after the school holidays end, yet I feel that doing some research beforehand will help quite a bit! :)

Thanks guys!

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The Chan family guys are usually pretty decent and have solid San Shou skills. The only down side is that their San Shou class is only once a week (although this is a common problem. I teach San Shou 6 hours a week which is way more than most places, just need some more students!) .
    Kung Fu Academy has a San Shou programme with a PRC trained coach.
    Dragon style has a San Shou programme but has the same issue as the CLF place.
    Sydney Jow Gar has a kickboxing program
    Kung Fu Republic seem to have sparring

3. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

Thanks for the comprehensive list!

That issue with the CLF place is frustrating because the only time they do it (like you said) is Friday nights, which is when I am always busy teaching drama!! Nonetheless I still wish to try it out because similar to you I have heard they are actually decent in san shou.

Both Kung fu academy and dragon style are a little far for me (especially Kung fu academy), but I was tempted to look into the other two. I haven't really heard much about jow gar, and as for the Kung fu republic place does the website seem mcdojo ish to anyone (with all the 'special courses' they offer) or is that just me? The place itself looks decent, matted etc so that is a plus.

Also if you happened to open up a Kung fu school in Sydney and did 6 hours of San shou per week, you'd definitely have me as a student almost straight away!!

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You'll have to see. If their Kung Fu is good and they're doing decent sparring then by definition it's not a McDojo. I've yet to experience a martial arts business model that works for everyone.

5. ShogunGall

ShogunGall Valued Member

On second viewing of the website (I initially viewed it months ago), I realize that it looks a lot more legit viewing on PC, because some of the sections couldn't be viewed on phone, and it seems they have entered participants into Sanda tournaments. I will be sure to talk to them and have a trial there too. Thanks for the replies though Ben you have helped a lot!