Sanchin tension

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Telsun, Jun 8, 2004.

1. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

One thing i forgot to add. I'm not completely against Sanchin kata, but I don't believe it should be practiced at maximum tension very frequently. i did a research paper for my english class on a topic of my choice, and i had this play a significant part in the paper. I'm against frequent isometric exercises in general, and that is what max tension sanchin is. But, in favor of it, it does seem to help teach people how to tighten up to withstand a blow, and it does train a person to increase their focus to do the kata correctly.

2. Mike O'Leary

Mike O'Leary Valued Member

The point of the test was to compare the exercise to doing something like a squat. The result of the test was that it had less of an effect on dramatic change in the body than the squat.

As to taking the pictures and my red face...... consider the lighting, consider the length of time we did this test..........

I have been performing sanchin at maximum tension for 24 years..... at 53 my blood pressure is fine. I try to practice every day and probably averate 4 to 6 times a week.

the point of the test was to dispell the myth that it is harmful, it was done with the aid of qualified personell and results were positive.... before you begin to make statements... have you seen or experienced any medical evidence to back your statements about causing blood pressure problems?

Mike O'Leary

PS: Have you read the Okinawa Program? it is about why the Okinawans have the longest life span in the world.... part of their program is the participation in the martial arts, many of the okinawan styles have some kind of tenshin kata associated with their workouts or tenshin exercises. That is what started us on the quest.

3. shodan-san

shodan-san Valued Member

In my training with Sanchin (Goju), there are three aspects to the tension you speak of. There is correct posture, correct tension/relaxation, and correct breathing. Usually, traditionally, the breath is 'hard', or 'dragon' breath. What it seems no one has commented on is that Sanchin is used to make the three conflicts work in harmony.

Those that have practised will find this repetative, and please feel free to correct me. I will use the first two steps of the kata to explain my points.

First step with the left, breathing in, lock your lower back (sciatic - this should make your lower body tense; hips, thighns to your toes) and perform the uke while breathing out, tensing your upper body until it is as strong as your lower. The last muscle to tense should be your tongue, and this brings the back of your neck to tension. You now have the 'iron shirt'.

Holding your stance and posture, relax.

As you chamber the arm to perform your strike, you begin your breath in once more and at the correct time you lock your sciatic, begin to breathe out once more until your strike is completed. At the completion of the strike (or block, whichever technique is being done in the kata) you should be at optimal distance, and full tension (tongue, again, being last).

Holding your stance and posture, relax.

Aside from the performance of Sanchin to learn stance, distance, and proper technique, Sanchin should help you develop the full circle of soft to hard to soft again, the essential component of relaxation prior to delivering a technique, and the concentration to work on the three conflicts to bring them to harmony.

IMHO, individuals whom practice Sanchin with a red face (or any kata) is not breathing properly. They are holding their breath and are stagnated.

4. animefreak88

animefreak88 Valued Member

In all honesty, my original sources were just the claims of doctor's and did not have studies to back them up. In light of this discussion, i've made a second search for information, to look for studies relating to the subject, and in turn, i came upon this article, which helps prove your point.

http://www.mdsystems.com/mdshist.htm

So, when taking this into account, along with your study and your good health, i admit being wrong. I'm sorry for arguing this with you, and, I would like to thank you for helping me come across this information.

5. Mike O'Leary

IMHO, individuals whom practice Sanchin with a red face (or any kata) is not breathing properly. They are holding their breath and are stagnated.[/QUOTE]

I agree, in the case stated we are talking about a photo..... have you looked at it? if not please do, the lighting was bad and it was a small inexpensive camera. It was stated my face was red in the picture, I beleive enough said.

Mike O'Leary

6. Mike O'Leary

I apologize if it came across I was arguing, I wasnt, I was simply asking if you had any history or proof that something different was discovered other than when I took part in the study. Also realize that the study was definatly a narrow look at sanchin and weather or not it was harder on the system than doing squats with (if I remember correctly) 3/4 of your own body weight. I never considered it an arguement, only a dicussion. No apology needed and dont worry about being "wrong" many people do not even bother to research things like that and that would leave me to beleive you are on the right path.