Samurai Movies!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vickbd, Sep 7, 2006.

1. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Hey folks any Samurai-related movies that I haven't seen yet?

Here's a few I've seen:

Seven Samurai

Samurai Spy and Rebellion

Lone Wolf and Cub(1&2)

Kinoichi (which really blew)

These past weeks I've been enjoying watching old Samurai movies.
    So, any movies you have enjoyed?

Please share,

Vick.

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Dude, check out netflix.com Maybe it's available in Canada. There's probably dozens more that you haven't seen. Like, there's a "Zatoichi" series 19 movies long.

"Twilight Samurai" is good, and so is the "Samurai Trilogy" -- the life of Musashi.

3. gornex

gornex Valued Member

how about the last samurai?

4. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Thanks Mac will definately check it out.

That was one of my favorite HollyWood movies when it came out. I have it on DvD and have at least watched it maybe... 80-100 times :rolleyes:

I am more into the old movies now with limited special effects, I've never in my life enjoyed watching Black & White films more than I do now. :D

Vick.

5. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Anything with Toshiro Mifune is good, samurai movie or not. Twilight Samurai is a good one. Also check out Harakiri, Lady Snowblood, Samurai Wolf. As I remember the names of others I've seen, I'll post them up.

6. vickbd

vickbd New Member

What about Akira Korusawa?
    Any other great movies besides 7 Samurai?

7. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

How long before they have the Last Samurai 2?

8. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Last Samurai 2? :confused: :confused:
    Where, what! :eek:

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

So many great movies by Kurosawa ,mainly featuring Mifune (my hero!)
    Throne of Blood (Based on MAcbeth-awesome!)
    Yojimbo
    Sanjuro
    Hidden Fortress
    Red Beard (Mifune is a doctor)
    Rashomon
    Ran (based on King Lear?) and Kagemusha (later ones)
    There's lots more too!

Not Kurosawa:
    Gohatto ( Takeshi Kitano)
    Zatoichi (remade by Kitano - not to everyones taste
    When the Last Sword is Drawn

I haven't watched the Last Samurai, I'm a Tom Cruise sceptic!

Enjoy....

10. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Grr I haven't seen any of the movies you've mentioned at my local video store :bang: , they all seem great.

What about Etchi the killer, what's that about?
    I also saw Shogun something (Shogun's Assasin I think? :eek: )

Keep 'em coming!

**Ran looks awesome**

Vick.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Ichi the Killer is very extreme- Takeshi Miike is renowned for that! I couldnt actually watch all of it . If you really fancy some more of his films see Gozu (really odd!) or Audition, which is more chilling than out and out gore!
    Internet rental sites are really good , not sure what is available in Canda. The one I used had a great back catalogue with rare films.
    If you fancy some other excellent films watch Par Chan-Wook's Oldboy, Sympathy for LadyVengeance and Sympathy for Mr Vengeance.

Ran is pretty awesome! Kagemusha is big budget , with George Lucas as producer!

12. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Excellent non-Samurai film, Crying Fist. YOU MUST SEE IT.

Still can't recall any more that haven't been named. Satellite station IFC has Samurai Saturdays, catch it if you can.

13. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Crying Fist... Let me guess, a Kunf-Fu movie? ;)

I checked more into Ichi the Killer and it doesn't really appeal to me at the moment. It looks like one of 'em wacky plotted movies :D ..

Vick.

14. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Actually, no. It's a boxing movie. But, it is very well written and acted. One of those stories, where it doesn't matter who wins the fight, you feel that the other guy should have won. It's good. Real good. Same actor as in Oldboy (forgive me, lousy at names). See it.

15. vickbd

vickbd New Member

Seems cool, will check out.

16. Pride&Poise

Pride&Poise Valued Member

I'm not the biggest fan of his work either. All downhill after Top Gun!

But he is adequate in The Last Samurai. Not great, but one of his better performances. Most of the rest of the cast is outstanding, however. Good score, good fight/training scenes. Its at least worth a try, to see for yourself.

17. AhmedG

AhmedG New Member

definately check out the Zatoichi movies, theres 26 of them.
    Itchi the Killer isnt actually a samurai movie but still a good movie, one of Miikes extreme movies. if u want to get into Miike i recommend watching Fudoh and Gozu, theyre quite weird but not as bad as Visitor Q, i don't know how i sat through that whole movie, craziest most messed up movie I've seen.

18. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

There's a movie from 1965 simply called Samurai, though I believe you can find it as Samurai Assassin in some places. It's based on historical fact, so it might be worth checking out.

Also good stuff is the Lone Wolf and Cub series (sometimes called the baby cart movies).

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yep, Lone Wolf and Cub/Babycart is a fantastic series.Ample blood spurting + cute kid and ingenious usage of a babycart as a weapon! Also check out the manga books, they're really good too.

20. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

Two films with Toshiro Mifune in that you really shouldn't miss are "Samurai Banners" and "The Challenge". The first is set in feudal Japan and the second is set in the 1970s (or was it 1980s?). Either way, pretty good.