Sais?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Jak H, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jak H

Jak H New Member

Please forgive me for lacking knowledge in this weapon, but what type of weapon is the sai considered? Is it a peircing weapon, slashing, or is it similar to the "baton"?

2. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Based on what my instructor is teaching me, I'd have to say "all of the above". It can bludgeon, slash, or pierce (the tip on that sucker is vicious; the right amount of pressure can cause it to be used to pierce and slash). But that's the way we use it in my style, I guess other styles may differ.

3. chasleeuk

chasleeuk Valued Member

yup u can use it to stab, slash with the tip, smash like a baton.

can also use the butt of the handle to punch, can use the metal rod along forearm to block, can use the hooks to trap and disable. u can use it as a throwing weapon!

heck u can use it even to plant vegetables.... :D

4. Jak H

Jak H New Member

Thank you.

5. Lexxorcist

Lexxorcist New Member

That sounds right. They're usually listed under 'batons'.

Can anyone point me to a quality online supplier in the UK? I have a pair already, but they're not quite balanced. I'd love to have a pair of well made one's, but can't find any online that sound better than the ones I have. The only sites I've seen them advertised as 'balanced' on are American sites.

Cost is no object, within reason. Thank you.

6. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Theres online weapons people linked in the Weapons Links sticky :)

7. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

i think its considered more of a club. to me the sai is the most usefull weapon, you can strike from close range with both ends, you can defend and trap other weapons, and you can throw it.

8. Lexxorcist

Lexxorcist New Member

Thanks Anth, I'll have a look.

9. olson720

olson720 New Member

Good sais

Yeah, the kind you get from most MA supply stores aren't all that great. Shureido brand are excellent. They are made in Okinawa and sold through various distributorships. Other handmade sais can be found search for "weapons connection" or "okinawan adventures." These are handmade in the states and they're very good although very expensive. I'm not sure what regulations there are for sending any of these to the UK.