Sai

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Cloud-uk, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Cloud-uk

Cloud-uk New Member

Hooray! My pair just arrived! Ahhh such pretty things...

Anyway, three quick questions- is sai connected with karate mostly? Would help me find a place that teaches it ya see.

Do you know of any good books/ websites for sai technique if I can't find the above? Any recomendations? I know its a bit of a long shot but hey! Worth a go.

Oh yeah, have any of you guys developed a weapons wall in your house? Mine has recently sprung up, its got 3 nunchakus (One's a convera-chuk, cough******cough:D ) a pair of sai and an assortment of throwing knives- whats on yours?:)

2. Darren

Darren Valued Member

I think the number of weapons i have would damage a wall ;)

Dunno if there is a good book on how to use the sai. I have one but it's really obvious how to use it so the book was pointless (it does have some form/kata but I'm not really bothered). It's not a specific karate weapon, the chinese also needed a metal ruler for measuring where to plant seeds too.

3. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

I use my sai in my Tae kwon do.

4. uobirac

uobirac Valued Member

I converted my dartboard into a little weapons cabinet which is pretty cool hehe :D It's got my pair of Sai's in it as well as a large bowie knife, a butterfly knife and a normal lock knife. VERY cool :D

5. The Kestrel

The Kestrel Valued Member

i keep some weapons here, 5 spears, two of them with blade, others without.
    And i have a wolf french dagger for short combat, is more a masterpiece than a weapon. :D

:love:I love my dagger:love:

6. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Yes sai are generally karate.

Well actually Ryukyu Kobudo, which is a sister art of karate.

If you can find a school that does Okinawan karate you can probably find someone that can teach you some sai stuff,.

7. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Where in England are you Cloud-uk? I might be able to hook you up with some weapons people.

-T

8. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Originated in China. Connected with several Southern divisions of Chinese boxing, Chuka being the most noted I believe.

However, the sai in the West is strongly associated with karate.

I have weapons "walls".:D In my basement kwoon. Good to be a bachelor sometimes!:cool:

/s/ El Tejon, lonely, but well-armed.:woo:

9. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

10. Cloud-uk

Cloud-uk New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'll look out for soem okinawan karate schools! kobudo_tob, I live around the woking/guildford area of surrey, between there and west london. If you know anyone or where that would be great! Oh, and cheers for the sites Gaskell, I'll pick up that book soon and check it out. I might give them a go applying them to pressure point fighting, just for the hell of it.

Just the first thing that popped into my head when I picked them up I guess.

Heh heh, and it sounds like between us we have enough to equip at small army! (that cant afford guns) :D

11. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

Most of the strikes and blocks taught in open handed technique in our system convert over nicely for sai. I would imagine that it would be the same for other ryu.

Demura's book is good, you can get it from Amazon.

I keep my weapons in my training bag so I have them all together for training - apart from the bo which are all kept on the floor in the corner of my office at home.

I keep the spare set of sticks behind the drivers seat of my car, the kubotan & ninja stick are in my handbag... with their friend the Leatherman and some screwdrivers :D

Haven't bought a katana next , it's the next major purchase on the list. I'm not sure where I will keep it, probably the training bag!

12. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Sorry Cloud-UK don't know anyone around that area. Your best best is to join an Okinawan Karate school and progress from there.

If you are wanting videos, a good bet are the ones created by Mikio Nishiuchi - "Mastering the [insert weapons here]"

Sorry I couldn't help.

-T

13. Kalifallen

Kalifallen looking for partner

There are some books out there but I don't like any of them. All they teach is how block and punch. Come on, I need to learn more than just that.

You could find a dojo and ask for them to teach you the sai.

I'm currently teaching myself. I have some comics that teaches the basics very well. Like what size sai is best for you and how to hold and flip the sai, etc. The rest, like punches and strikes, I translate it into sai movements.

Anyway, if you want a sai book I'd say buy Fumio Demura sai book. He says he's the best, so I guess you should go for that.