Sai Holding Techniques

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by cranerat, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cranerat

cranerat New Member

On basic holding of a sai, in the open position, as if blocking by catching in the tines.
    How is the handle gripped, and where is the thumb placed (and how far up)?

I have had some basic training in holding, opening and closing (among other basics) by people who were both trained in Karate and Okinawan Shotokan (what specific style I can't tell you). I have also researched in what few books on the subject I could find. I have one book by Master Fumio Demura printed ages ago which I favor for the basic techniques. Seems his style is also Okinawan based.

I have a teacher who has studied Shotokan and professes the grip in the open position is with the thumb placed against the blade, past the center of balance above the guard for control. They also place the forefinger on the outside curve of the prong. To me this exposes the thumb and even the forefinger to attack or being hit when blocking between blade and prong.

My first basic training was to place the thumb on the guard center but not above the crossguard. The forefinger was to be along the bottom of the guard prongs but still below them (Somewhat difficult to get used to since I want to grip the sai like an escrima stick).

Are these more "Style" differences or am I being instructed incorrectly?

2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Do you trust your teacher?

If not, maybe the question you should be asking is: should i stay?

3. cranerat

cranerat New Member

Shootodog,

By asking that question, you show your experience and already know the partial answer :).

But here it is anyways. "Yes" and "No".

"Yes", for the system they teach here (and the system is bound by both American isolationist attitude and fear or our free ranging lawyers who will encourage someone to sue for a bruised shin) at the school we (family) attend. It encompasses much of what I want my wife and kids to learn even with the lack of reality self defense training. They teach self defense in three stages which is fine for preventing one to be sued, but will usually also make you a victim in the end.

Also "No" because of lack of experience (real life) and desire to continue learning by most of the older/higher instructors. Especially with weapons.

Unfortunately it's the best we have available in the area (have checked out 5 others within my range, not impressed) and now the family is "involved" with other members.

So the solution isn't as easy as finding another school any more, unfortunately.

Thanks for the answer. Besides, you can't carry a sai legally anywhere in public except when performing or practicing martial arts, unlike a stick or even firearm with a CCP :woo:. :)

4. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Careful on that anywhere. They're not illegal here, and having them saved my rear once (no, I wasn't carrying them on my belt, long story for another time).