RRoD: Diary of a NarcSarge

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by narcsarge, Dec 26, 2008.

1. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Thought I would use this thread to help out those of us that have had to return their precious 360. Just to recap:

-20/12/2008 got one Red Ring, error 73
    -Was gonna do everything online but I was told my warranty expired. Called customer service and since my warranty was only a week over, Microsoft gave me full credit and sent me the box to return the unit. Customer Service gave me a Ref.# which I noted.
    -Did some troubleshooting w/ the service rep but had to send the unit in.
    -Disconnected all cables, hard drive, and made sure no disks were in the drive.
    -Boxed up the Xbox and noted the serial number of my Xbox along w/ the Ref # on a piece of paper and placed the paper in the box.
    -Also put the REF# on the outside of the box (per Microsoft's instructions).
    -Put the UPS label on the box (supplied by Microsoft) and made note of the UPS Tracking number from the supplied shipping label. I kept tracking number and Ref.# on a piece of paper for my personal information.
    -Went to the UPS store on 26/12/2008.
    The UPS Store printed out a receipt w/ the tracking number and I was told that Microsoft had covered the insurance. My unit is being shipped to Texas. If anyone does research online about returning their Xbox they will be told not to tell the shipping company what you are sending out. Good advice but rather pointless. So many units have been returned that the shipping companies recognize the box and destinations! So glad Microsoft is picking up the insurance. I will update the progress of my repair periodicly. If the MODS want to make this a seperate thread, by all means, go ahead!

Narcsarge

*Moved to a new thread, always useful to hear advice from somebody who's already had to do it :)* - Tatsumaru

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

They collect them from your door in the Uk. I got a brand new one back instead.

3. narcsarge

~~THANKS FOR THE MOVE TATSUMARU~~

I could have had the post pick it up here but I didn't want to trust them w/ the box. The UPS store is just around the corner and they are the ones that Microsoft uses for shipping. I took it to the store to cut out at least one pair of hands that may be involved.

I am willing to bet I get a new one as well but who knows. I didn't have the full-on RRoD. I just got one at the 4 o'clock position so that may mean they can fix my system. How long did it take to get your new system M.D.?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2008
  4. Moi

A couple of weeks, maybe less.

5. narcsarge

Sounds about what I have read. Thank you sir!

6. Tatsumaru

Tatsumaru Your new God!

I don't know if they are still doing it but when I had RRoD and sent the console back to Msoft, when they returned it they also gave me a couple of months of free live trials as a sort of apology. I did hear that if you have to send it back 3 times then you get a slighlty better apology (perhaps a control pad or something?) but I can't confirm that because after the first time I just took the console back to the shop I bought it from and let them deal with it, much quicker if you can find the receipts!

7. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

My mates xbox 360 RROD'd on him a few weeks before xmas. They collected it and managed to return it within a couple of weeks. In the meantime he had to buy another xbox 360 as there was no guarantee of them returning it quickly.

Anyway, I digress, they gave him a months free Xbox Live Gold Membership, which is no good for him as he doesn't have broadband, so I've bagged that little gift. :D

8. narcsarge

Thanks Tatsumaru and Chimp for reminding me. I DO get a month free Xbox Live for my "inconvenience". I am thinking of sending it to my nephew who just got a 360 and is due to be transferred to Missouri for the Air Force. Kid will be a Captain in February so I know he can afford a subscription but I'd like to give it to him as I already know that my Live Subscription is now a household expense! :cool::evil::banana:

9. narcsarge

Update on shipping progress:

Package Progress
    Location Date Local Time Description
    HIALEAH,
    FL, US 12/30/2008 12:14 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    FT MYERS,
    FL, US 12/29/2008 9:30 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    US 12/22/2008 12:45 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Seems it has taken 8 days to get the package out of Florida. That seems a bit slow. Guess that it will be a bit before my Xbox gets back here.

10. Moi

Alligator mail. Takes a little longer but it's very secure

11. narcsarge

I hear ya. I am just itching to get on w/ my new games. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

12. narcsarge

JACKSONVILLE,
    FL, US 12/31/2008 8:16 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    12/31/2008 6:24 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    HIALEAH,
    FL, US 12/30/2008 10:42 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    12/30/2008 12:14 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    FT MYERS,
    FL, US 12/29/2008 9:30 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    US 12/22/2008 12:45 A.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Tracking results provided by UPS: 01/01/2009 7:35 P.M. ET

Still not out of Florida yet! GRRRRRR!

13. Moi

Missing you:love:

14. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

no where near you rent them out?

15. Moi

He could use his son's but I doubt he'd let him.

16. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

LOL!

Would you trust him if he's broke his own, whats he not gonna do to yours :p

17. narcsarge

You guys are killing me. My son has an old Xbox but not the 360. The unit broke when we turned the box off for a bit. When we turned it on...

RRoD!

Sgt_Major: Yes I could rent one but why bother? It's an expense I don't "have to have". Makes my vacation a bit boring but I can deal w/ it. I don't think my son has spent more time outside for about a year! I am willing to bet he doesn't have issues getting his homework done when school starts back up next week.

18. Moi

Play Halo 2???

19. narcsarge

I am not sure if we have 2.....

20. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Bet you can find it for next to nothing somewhere. Still a great game, especially for multiplayer which some people still enjoy more than Halo 3.