royce vs akebono

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Ikken Hisatsu, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

You know thats the right call ;) Royce has some serious endurance, and can take one heck of alot of punishment.

I'm very confident that he'll win.

2. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

Ive changed my mind about royce losing. I think he will win, especially after watching akebono whatever.

3. cybermonk

cybermonk New Member

With the special rules oddly favoring gracie he might be able to win, otherwise I really doubt it.

4. AAAhmed46

AAAhmed46 Valued Member

That and the fact that royce doesnt give up too easily, and has a better stand up game then akebono, because atleast royce can punch, akebono blows are like pushes.

5. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

I would be astonished if Royce has intention of knocking Akebono out; it really isn't his style. :)

6. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I think Royce's best bet is to stand with lardy boy for a while - he doesn't have to actually whack him, but tiring him out will make the takedown that bit easier. Either that or he can run off the ropes and do a jump kick into him (a cookie to whomever guesses who used that tactic and in what fight)

7. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Genki Sudo fighting the big American dude who's name I dont remember, Butterbean or something like that right?

8. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Correct! Congratulations :)

9. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

lol that part was excellent :D I just had to include it in my highlight i made of him :D

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

D'oh!

According to www.mmaweekly.com, this fight may not happen:

"Zach Arnold from the Puroresu Power website says "the hot story coming from Japan is that DSE boss Nobuyuki Sakakibara may make a public claim to the Japanese press that Pride has a contract with Royce Gracie that allows them to give him the last option on his fights in Japan.

The story is that DSE has already sent legal letters to Tokyo Broadcasting, K-1, and Royce Gracie threatening them with legal action. In other words DSE wants Royce Gracie off the upcoming K-1 12/31 Osaka Dome show line up."

I can't say I'm going to miss seeing it, though it would've been nice to see Royce in the ring again

11. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Yeah, i've heard the same thing :(

I'm praying this is just a rumour, or that the issue will be resolved soon. If not, then im going to get mad and break my pencil! :woo:

12. manchesterdojo

manchesterdojo Valued Member

Surely the best submission tactic would be to try and get behind Akebono and choke him out? Royce is fast and agile. I can't see take downs working and fighting someone that size head on would be a mistake. Can't see it being a long fight and I think Royce and family are clever enough to have a sound strategy worked out for this.

13. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Take downs such as the double leg work on all sizes :) Even someone Akebono's size!

14. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Sorry but I think it will be more a trip than a take down. Big big guy is just too big I think for Royce to do a double or single leg on, a trip yes but not a full on technical takedown.

I think unless you have the strength and power or Coleman or Kerr you wont be doing a double leg on this guy, well not Royce anyway.

15. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Oh im sure it won't be a full on takedown :) And im sure it will be more of a stumble than a trip; especially with someone of Akebono's size!

I've still heard nothing on the situation between Royce, DSE and K1 :( I hope the fight is still going ahead!

16. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Posted on Royce's site and MMA Weekly today:

"Dear my fans all over the world:

With regard to the contract dispute between DSE and me, I would like to explain to you what that is all about. As you all know, I announced that I would fight Akebono at Dynamite!! on December 31, 2004 in Osaka, Japan. Although DSE alleges that I breached the contract with DSE, I did not. I have always negotiated with DSE in good faith. In September 2004, DSE talked to me about the 2005 Pride Middleweight Grand Prix, but we never reached any agreement. DSE also told me that they did not want me to fight for their event on December 31, 2004. In October 2004, I received from FEG an offer for Dynamite!! on December 31, 2004 which I told DSE about. I honored my contract with DSE. I waited for DSE's answer, but DSE did not give me an answer before the deadline under the contract between DSE and me. DSE did not tell me the names of DSE’s fighters, the date of the fight or other important conditions. DSE was never willing to match FEG’s offer. I can firmly say that I have sincerely and appropriately dealt with DSE.

The reason why I fight in a ring is that I would like as many people as possible to feel the spirit of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and enjoy watching Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. FEG gave me a perfect opportunity to fulfill my wish. Through the fight with Akebono, who weighs three times more than me, I am certain that I can show you the spirit and skills of "the best of martial arts" Gracie Jiu-Jitsu and that you will have a lot of fun watching and experiencing it. This way, you will understand that this "reckless" challenge makes a new history of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu. I was truly expecting DSE to talk to me about such a meaningful opponent and opportunity in response to FEG’s offer. Unfortunately, DSE did not show their intention to set up a fight for me and never even gave me a single name of a fighter.

For the future, I would like to make it clear that I do not care who my promoter is. I would be happy to be seated at a negotiation table in good faith if any promoter (whether DSE, FEG or others) seriously provides me with an opportunity where I can fulfill my wish. I will continue to discipline myself as a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu fighter and I promise that you will enjoy and be satisfied with my life-risking bouts.

Sincerely,

Royce Gracie"

He doesn't really say if it's going ahead or not, but it's good to hear his view on it

17. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Whilst it doesn't tell us weather the fight is going ahead, it's still a good read :) At least we all know the supposed details as to what's going on!

From what it sounds like though, the fight is still going to go ahead. :) (i hope!)

18. andrewS

andrewS Banned Banned

Royce by omoplata.

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

LOL! I hope you had some money on that!

20. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

LMAO :D You wouldn't have thought it would ya :)