Rousey vs. McMann, predictions?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Combat Sports, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

That doesn't mean much either though. Rousey's striking defense isn't a strong suit. Tate managed to make her step back and look stunned a couple times but Rousey still outstruck her.

2. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Ah, it's time to start researching the person who doesn't agree with you so you can start the ad hominem.

It's irrelevant. McMann punched Ronda several times during the fight including in times that she was fighting with Ronda for control of position.

3. Combat Sports

You are entitled to your often repeated opinion. As am I.

This is that internet filibuster I was talking about earlier.

4. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No, no, no, this is a case of you talking about stuff you clearly have no idea about and people calling you on it.
    And how is that relevant to anything? Who here has said that McMann didn't land any punches? They clearly didn't hurt Rousey, so why does it matter that she got hit?

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

What? My opinion that knees aren't underestimated by anyone who has ever been hit by one? That's not an opinion - that's an empirical fact.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ad hominem - attacking the person

This isn't a case of that. What IS being questioned is your experience from which you make definitive statements that are not borne out by anyone who has actually fought...and there are a few of us on here

If you have experience that runs differently then by all means share it because it sets context. If you don't have any experience then by all meas share it....because it sets context

7. Hannibal

Then why do you keep posting?

"This is a fillibuster and will go nowhere"

*posts another point and is questioned about's it's veracity*

"I said i wasn't posting anymore so lets not get into it again"

*posts another point*

That is NOT withdrawing from a self-proclaimed "fillibuster" - that is the internet equivalnet of sticking your fingers in your ears and going "nyah nyah not listening"

Oh and before you drag it up again this isn't an "Ad hominem" either -it's an observation of displayed behaviour

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

With an opponent in a defensive posture that is EXACTLY how Ronda fights.
    There's a fantastic breakdown of a previous fight somewhere that shows her attempting about 4/5 throws in 2 seconds (Uchimata, Kouchi, etc) where each time she attacks the weak plane of resistance until one is successful.
    That's basically high level Judo.
    In this case Mcmann did well enough to not get thrown (and got kneed instead).
    When an opponent "gives" her energy to work with (like Tate II) the results are usually more spectacular.
    Saying she tried multiple throws is not, in and of itself, a minus point in Rousey but par for the course when she fights.

9. Combat Sports

No. This is where people are moving to the ad hominem suggesting that I don't agree with their OPINION because I don't know what I am talking about. Because it can't be that I have a different view point.

10. Combat Sports

As is that knees are thrown to the body in thousands of fights and that they rarely end in a fight stoppage.

11. Combat Sports

And there are a few on here who also don't agree with you. Some of them have also fought. The views of other professional fighters saying it was an early stoppage are shared on the internet as well. We don't want to talk about it in the totality, we apparently want to localize it to just attacking me, so that you don't have to address the rest of the issue.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine. It's not necessary to attack my competence, or me personally to make that point.

This is what Van was talking about earlier.

UPDATE: If people are going to suggest that their experience is a trump card in a disagreement alone, then we move on to "Appeal to authority".

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  12. Combat Sports

I am still posting my view point, for the same reason you are still posting your view point. I refuse to be bullied out of the conversation. (Or ganged up on, as the case may be.) I offered that we could agree to disagree and that was not sufficient.

13. Hannibal

That's not much of a discussion forum then is it?

And bullied? :rolleyes:

14. Hannibal

That's not much of a discussion forum then is it?

And bullied? :rolleyes:

15. Combat Sports

As has been observed by Van and anyone else who dared to speak from the opposing view point, the replies to our posts have been getting more and more snarky, condescending, and eventually outright insulting. "son".

Generally, this is a reaction when people just to push someone back in line with the pecking order or hierarchy of a given social group. It happens on the internet when an established group of people get to become the animals who are "more equal" from Animal Farm.

16. Hannibal

:topic:
    Show me where anyone used appeal to authority as a trump card

I'll save you the trouble - you can't because no one did

Stop making straw men

17. Hannibal

And there are thousandfold more punches landed that don't KO someone than those that do - you are making a pretty silly point, especially as McMann went down like a bag of spanners

18. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I like you, Hannibal. You usually post good stuff and your training background is pretty damn stellar. But I have to agree with What Works? that some of your posts do come across as personal attacks, albeit mostly subtle in nature. Like throwing in words like "asinine" after you make a point. It comes across as a passive aggressive inference that anyone who offers an opposing view is stupid or foolish. Maybe it's just me who reads it like that, and you're certainly free to post what you like. But it seems unnecessary when everyone else can post rebuttals without the tone you're disaplaying. As has already been said, we had it before with posters like Slipthejab. Honestly, it does nothing but derail the thread needlessly (it's hard enough to keep up with all the tangents as it is!). Like I said, how you post is up to you. But What Works? kinda has a point.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I think the point that Rousey is mega strong is a fair one. Does anyone think she might be too strong for 135 lb? She did fight at 145-155 before. I don't know her reasons for cutting to 135, and I already explained my objections to fighters who cut below their natural weight. I wonder if her superior strength fuels the debate that she's running from Cyborg. Would you want to see her go up, to face more equal opposition?

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry, I think it is a silly argument. I have heard others argue this and I just think it has no validity at all. (No offense meant, just feel strongly abut this point.) No, she isn't running from Cyborg. And here is why I think this.

Cyborg has unnatural muscle weight from steroid abuse. She has won a lot of fights from fighting people who are actually at lower weight classes. Using that steroid muscle for an unfair advantage.

The belt is at 135. Ronda has never been caught using steroids or missing weight at 135. If Cyborg wants what Ronda has, she should meet Ronda at 135. Why should Ronda go up to fight someone where there is no division and no belt? And why should she go out of her way and meet someone who can't make weight and has the advantage of steroid muscles?

The UFC division is at 135. Ronda has never had trouble making weight. If anything, she looks a tad pudgy in her Judo days. I wish weight cutting was handled differently in the UFC, but it isn't. That isn't Ronda's fault. She is playing by the rules of the sport.

She plays by the rules and fits the rules. Cyborg doesn't.