rooting

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by hwardo, Feb 27, 2004.

1. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I am curious what techniques folk use to get "rooted." This can be in the internal sense, but anyone should feel free to respond however they do it. Has anyone ever uprooted someone who was particularly sunk into their stance? Has anyone ever been uprooted?

2. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi hwardo, I usually use the microcosmic orbit before & after to get internally rooted. As for uprooted, I've found myself on the floor a few times wondering how I got there so quick.
    Ingat ka, ;)

3. Hugh

Hugh New Member

thats a tricky one. I think that "rooting" yourself is more of a feeling that you acquire after a while. As far as i can tell, being rooted comes from the strength of your posture and centre of gravity.

All i know is that my sifu can sit in a small horse stance and that it is almost impossible to move him by pushing alone.

We are taught that in tai chi, one's whole body should move at once, even if performing a simple strike or counter. I think this is to train the body so that all the muscles from the upper body to the floor work in unison, either to launch an attack, or to yeld and redirect. when you root yourself, all the muscles in the body support each other and thus can withstand force from any direction.

Its difficult to explain but thats what i reckon anyway :)

4. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

Hugh-- I know what you mean, my sifu is capable of the same rootedness (he can take a jumping side kick without moving) but he can't really tell you what is going on, he can just show you the path.

Chase-- What qigong do you practice? I have been working on opening the microcosmic orbit for a while, any helpful hints?

5. Chase

Chase New Member

Hi hwardo, I relax sitting in a straight chair, start visualizing collection of energy in lower tan tien, then move it gradually up the spine along the Acupressure points , over the top of the head, bring it to my tongue[which is against the roof of my mouth], down through the centerline of my chest to lower tan tien again & repeat for 36 revolutions, finishing with leaving it with tan tien collection.
    Ingat ka, ;)

6. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

My thoughts on how it works: -

Rooting is the realtime process of adding up all the forces and potentials and applying/utilising the force vectors required to maintain or gain position.

Moving in a rooted manner is basically moving in such a way that your centre of gravity is stays low and steady - as if you had a cup of water inside your abdomen that you don't wish to slop over the sides. For this to be assured, you also need a keen sense of balance and, when in contact, sensitivity.

Let gravity do it's job, and fill in the gaps with fancy invisible tensions.

That's how I see it - and I only speak as someone who's root isn't exactly legendary :).

Rdgs,
    David

7. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

It's funny how we can almost get in our own way-- i.e. not just letting gravity do its job, etc.

Chase-- so you guide the qi through the orbit-- have you ever encountered any blockages, and if so, how have you dealt with them?

8. Chase

Chase New Member

Yes, using water as your visualization for chi, & the clearer you see that visualization the more you can direct it & "feel" its direction to a particular area. It comes in handy in practicing massage, & yes, I've dealt with some blockages, but most are a continual proccess of dealing with them. :D
    Ingat ka,

9. Chase

Chase New Member

As to dealing with them, visualizing the chi as water it follows that in that visualization the blockages are seen as dams, so I visualize the buid up of water until the dam breaks. Like water, sometimes you can bust two or three blockages at the same time, but usually that means they're not completely destroyed. :D
    Ingat ka,