Roadtoad's theory on Kote gaeshi

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dean Winchester, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You can use any art or technique you desire for the disarm.

It is one single thrust.

What do you choose?

2. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

My first idea would be taekwondo, an inside or outside crescent to the knife with the sole of my boot, switching immediately to a korean sidekick with the same foot.
    What would be your technique?

3. Shinkei

Shinkei Valued Member

You would get stabbed in the foot as your boots are on you hands.

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Do you know what the Tueller drill is?

Yes guys I know not exactly the thing we're on about but it raises a valid point with regards to the above.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes, of course, that's what the "world's best knifefighters" teach (quoting Toad there). Crescent kicks to disarm escrimadors. Yep. That's how they do it.

6. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

So you think exposing your femoral artery to your attacker is a good idea ?

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

for.. RT.. yes it would.

8. Dean Winchester

Roadtoad,

Which style of Jujutsu did you study?

Same question for Ninjutsu.

9. Simon

First off I would never use a kick against a knife.

Second I would angle off. The problem with the kick is it has no control. Fine if it lands, but if I don't get the disarm I want control of the knife.

As for technique, the Sayoc Kali guys have some nice knife drills.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZxUa-SJ9w4"]YouTube - Sayoc Kali Philippines[/ame]

10. Simon

Same question for the JKD.

11. embra

embra Valued Member

12. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Good videos and posts about knife fighting. However, isn't knife training one of those areas where the culture determines much of what is considered good and bad. There are common principles that should be followed but the particular preferred techniques are often determined by the culture.

For example, I was at a seminar where a FMA grandmaster was teaching some basic drills. He was unarmed and the partner had a knife and a stick. The GM's hands moved a million miles per hour to me and he managed to use the stick to disarm the knife and he ended up with both weapons. It was simple for him. He told me that it take years to develop these movements and that they would do me no good until I had done that. I was shown something more simple to practice at first.

What I'm saying is that the GM recognized that different levels of skill and experience required different approaches. Similarly, the law enforcement folks told me the same story that they were training FMA but the GM gave them something they could use and not something that takes years to develop. In the long run, the years to develop would be there... but in the short term, the GM provided a much more straight forward approach.

For those with little knife training, but who practice kicking... the use of the foot to kick the inside of the forearm of a knife arm is risky and in the long run is not the best choice because it only really works if the attacker is unprepared for it... but it might be a decent option in this case.

If, however, go to the FMA people and kick the knife, well it might work ONCE, but it will never work again against any of them, because their culture is of a much more knife aware setting.

I know some that observe the knife attacks done in prisons, etc. and as a result the knife defenses are tailored to the culture there. The main difference is that the blades are usually shanks and the point or thrust is much worse than the edge or cut. So primarily the repeated thrust is considered. The repeated cuts are not as common or effective with a shank.

13. Simon

Good post Rebel Wado.

I think all we wanted to do was weed out a supected fraud.

If he had the knowledge he claimed I would have at least expected him to mention angling off or adding some sort of control.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

Knife 'fights' are never going to be pleasant. Knife defence training is ok, as long as we are realistic about it, as per rebels's comments i.e. as to our limitations.

New version of Shoe-do:- Chemical Warfare counter-attack - knock out your opponent with the chemical waft from 2 week old unwashed socks.

15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes to all three sentences there.
    My spider-sense has been tingling for a long time, but today's set of posts have conclusively proven the case for me.

16. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

So again

All you are doing is defining me as the piece of pink cherry pie that you all hate and you ingratiate yourselfs into the group by making up lies about me, changing my words to your meaning and other unfair activity.
    So , your criticism degenerates into a, 'I could do this, I could do that' a.k.a the three stooges.
    The question was against a single thrust, not, what can he do now, etc.

So, its obvious that the question was a set-up, a total set-up.
    I had already said that in FMA, they don't want you to fight a weapon without a weapon, then you asked the set-up question, which didn't allow for a weapon.

the protection of the fermoral artery comes from knocking the knife out of the way with the crescent, switching to the side kick that goes right through him.
    Of course there's always the, 'he could do this, he could do that' extravaganza.
    My real first idea is always the best, swing 180 and set the county 50m speed record in the other direction.
    The unwritten statement is that guns are not allowed.
    More gun murders in a L.A. county weekend, than an entire month of the entire continent of europe.
    You think I'm not packing?
    All you all do is criticise me. No one has offered a technique of their own.
    Why not?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
  17. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Because you can't be taken seriously.

18. Dean Winchester

Roadtoad,

You get criticised because you come out with such complete and utter bollocks.

Oh and your "run away run away" solution is great right up to the point where he chases, you runs you down and guts you.

:cool:

Yes avoid, escape etc but it's not so black and white.

ps I don't hate you, that would involve some form of emotional investment beyond the non intentional humour I find in your posts.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Fast becoming roadkill .........

Smurf:woo::woo::woo:

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well they were talking about your theory on kotegaeshi. Which would suggest they're more interested in what you would do. Given you claim to have studied nearly every art represented here on MAP and created your own style.

Thus far you've failed to demonstrate any substantial knowledge of anything. You didn't even notice koyo had passed away in spite of the fact there are two threads on MAP dedicated to his passing. Yet you spout crap on this forum claiming to be clairvoyant.

I think you should give up that peace pipe dude. It's made you delusional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.