Roadtoad's theory on Kote gaeshi

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dean Winchester, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Yes it does! That's totally more in line with the way I was taught.

2. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

@ rebel,

I have to wonder at this point also if the uke might have been a little stiff, or offering some tension/ resistance that necessitated going around the power, which wouldn't necusarilliy be something uke could pick up on depending on the degree to which they are adding so much energy themselves, and how quickly the motion happens/ the situation unfolds.

Or, if the practice approach is such that you always train as though uke is armed, this would also make sense to raise the arm.

Note I am not refuting uke lifting their arm on their own, just wondering about other possibilities.

3. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Good thoughts. I think at some point the technique changes as necessary. It might end up being uke thrown forward instead of kote gaeshi (e.g. uke might just fall on their face). Just some thoughts.

Another thing that happens is uke may want to retract their arm (rather than leave it extended). This is why it is important to "wash through". If uke retracts the arm, you are already following it in to where you are hip to hip. And they are downed (sometimes a sweep is added here). Again, little energy for them to counter.

I think if you raise the arm, using force, you actually counter yourself. Unless uke is already stunned by a kick to the groin or something, IMHO. I trained knife with some knife guys and if I raised their arm, such as to break their arm over my shoulder, they were always able to counter it. I think this would even be worse if I tried it against someone with lots of experience in Tai Chi.

Don't forget that when you raise your own arms, this leaves your torso open as well.

The only ones I've see able to "walk someone down" by raising the hand was when the tori was much taller than uke, but this was in training and they weren't considering that their torso was open. Like if someone had a knife in their other hand.

One thing learning from knife training is that it takes almost no strength for a sharp blade to cut to bone. If someone has me all twisted up, but I'm still standing, I could in many cases still cut them good without the need of hip or shoulder rotation, just using my arm to thrust. Those that stand to the side thinking they are safe are only doing that for training something. In real situations, it is constant movement, constant pressure, constant attack (stunning and unbalancing), IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  4. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

oh yes, for now, the filipinos are the world's greatest knife fighters. Its next to impossible to get them to teach you if you're not a filipino. I have a few friends. The two knife thing is the best.

I'm also, on the kote gaeshi thing, still dealing with the double spin move, reversing sides, not the walk through. I'm surprised to see Isoyama do it that way. I think he was possibly bed crippled for years. He's way different now. No one trained harder when he was in his heyday, but he is greatly reduced now. Too bad. Doesn't make what I'm saying false, but I have no way to prove most of it.
    I think there's only one of the original crowd left around iwama, I can't remember his name, but he could put a shihonage ura on you faster than an eye blink.
    Its still the greatest technique against any giant that trys to pick you up by the shirt in front of your chest.

5. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

This isn't a double post. Just me reading your post differently.

I wasn't saying that uke moves their arm on their own as a conscious decision. Since uke is unbalanced, what they do with their arm is going to be muscle memory and instinctive. What I was saying is that as you torque uke's wrist, you cannot immobilize uke's movement in all directions. There is always a direction that uke can move that is more open than others. For example, if I put my thumb between the little finger and ring finger knuckles to apply kotegaeshi, the weak point is through my thumb... I use my other hand to block that direction. The other directions: up, down, towards tori and back towards uke still remain. The direction towards tori is blocked by the structure of the technique when you "move around the sword" (see below note). This leaves up, down, and towards uke as open vectors. Through the process of the technique as a powerful twist, uke is taken through all three open vectors until the last one down, brings them to the ground.

I see no problem if uke's hand lifts up as part of this. The danger is if by lifting up you compromise your structure. For example if uke's hand goes up and this feed in to their ability to thrust the knife into you. An example would be if during kote gaeshi, tori cuts his own throat with uke's tanto.

Note: The principle of "moving around the sword" (e.g. don't move the weapon, you move around the weapon and keep the weapon protecting your center line), is demonstrated in kote gaeshi technique to prevent uke from thrusting the weapon into tori also at the same time it is not giving uke energy that they can use to counter with.

Anyway, I guess a test is to make sure you don't cut your own throat with uke's knife. This pretty much should be a tell all on if what you are doing is practical.

6. izumizu

izumizu Banned Banned

ye, fully picked up on an understood what you meant. Experienced it, felt it.

Besides, I'm the one that writes such that folks can't understand.

7. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

FMA is a lot more accessible these days. There is even Eskrido (a version of Doce Pares, that is a Filipino martial art that is a combination of Doce Pares, Aikido, and Judo, with lesser influences from other Japanese systems).

Is the kote gaeshi at 4:16 minute mark the double spin move you are talking about? (also at 8:12 and 8:23)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3636uWgpBo"]YouTube - Morihei Ueshiba - Aikido (1935)[/ame]

8. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Yes, exactly. This is the oldest videos I've ever seen about osensei.
    This is all quite different than 'Tomiki Aikido', its evolving into actual modern aikido techniques. But still, in some of those kotegaeshi against a sword, he steps through. Its just that first one that is what I'm talking about.
    Also, you'll see in some of his own sword techniques, his spin move. That's where he got it, not from Ba Kua, or any other chinese technique.

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have found the exact opposite to be true.

The art is very much promoted outside of the Phillipines now and instructors are more than willing to take students.

We have recently sent one of our students from the UK to the Phillipines and found the instructor more than accepting. In fact he sent my instructor an e-mail saying thank you for sending him out and promoting the art in the UK.

Facebook has eskrimadors linked together right across the globe and invites are always coming through (from people I've never met) to come and take part in their seminars.

I have also found that during training you have to slow the GrandMasters down as they offer so much you can't take it in.

10. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

great. congratulations.

11. Simon

What is meant by that.

You said that FMA was difficult to find. As an instructor I have said I believe it to be accessible.

I respect your anonimity, but I could find you an instructor in your city quite easily.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

You claim quite a lot of MA Toady on your bio.

Were all these practices as mysterious and secretive as that which you encountered with Aikido when training with Ueshiba and Tohei?

13. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

I never worked out with Tohei. He was in the states when I was in Japan. I only saw him once.
    Mysterious and secretive would be your point of view. Remember, I was raised on an Indian Reservation, working under a man that could make it rain.
    Now, THAT would be mysterious and secretive.
    Ueshiba was very open about what he was doing. No one could understand him, that's all.
    What's 'MA'?
    Anyway, no, I have filipino guros, that show me stuff.
    I was just speaking, according to my age, long ago, you could never get filipinos to open up, they're probably the last racial group to do so.
    But now, the lid is off. Its sort of like the chinese opening their secrets up to the outside world in the 60s. I was in the 'first wave' of that event.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm really struggling to see what any of this crap has to do with any Aikido techniques.

15. embra

embra Valued Member

There isn't much, if any; but at least its contained within this thread's boundaries (for now.)

16. Simon

A fairpoint and as the Topic Mod for this forum I can see how you would be frustrated, however we are dealing with a guy who claims it is possible to move an opponent with ki. As we are all saying this is impossible I think we need further clarification from roadtoad.

I respect anonimity, but I am sure he would have photographs to back up the claim he was there, even if he blotted out his face.
    You yourself said the following: -

This guy also claims to have been raised on a Indian Resevation along with a guy who could make it rain. Again this sort of claim is bound to be called out.

roadtoad's bio says he has trained in several arts incuding FMA, which in my opinion is regarded as one of the better ars for knife defense. Then comes this claim.

Do me a favour is my reply.
    Utter bunk.

The guy has not trained for 30-40 years as far as I can ascertain and comes here to argue with guys who have obviously trained at a high level (such as Koyo) and expects us to go "yes sir, no sir".

I know my level, I know my good points and bad. I would imagine others here are the same. Knowledgeable, but willing to accept new ideas.

Just a photograph would help. Not claims of flying chi and rainstorms.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  17. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Hey, we're covering a period of , counting the indian martial arts, over sixty years.
    The knife attack in japan was probably 1963. I worked out with filipino knife fighters starting probably 2005.

18. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

What the ....????

19. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Hey, indians will always be the red stain on the white blanket of america's 'manifest destiny'
    Since all those original whites were europeans, why should I expect any of you to understand us?

20. Simon

This is what makes it even more amazing.

You trained with Osensei, someone stabs at you 30 times and you are looking to move in for a throw.

Did a disarm not occur to you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.