Roadtoad's theory on Kote gaeshi

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Dean Winchester, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

At 2:05, this is how kote-gaeshi is executed in Tenjin Shinyo-ryu jujutsu.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTpeCdANzA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhTpeCdANzA[/ame]

And here's how it is executed in Araki-ryu as an offensive "ambush" technique.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2_Z-whRDRk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2_Z-whRDRk[/ame]

It's good to see the older schools and how they do things as a reference point sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  2. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

o.k., about 12 guys to answer again. Yes, the thing about g.i.s taking about 5 days of karate and then leaving is very familiar to me. I might not have mentioned that I took an art that none of you are ever going to be able to get a video on: american indian martial arts---probably the toughest one of all of them---many years before I even went to the far east. I talked about the guy that could make it rain, that was our martial arts teacher.
    So, I was a long ways from the typical g.i.. I had no use for any of it until I met Zhang man-ching in his back yard one day. He had super chi, so, that got me going.
    Part of the reason why osensei liked me so much, is because I was familiar with his spiritual outlook. In fact, I think that his spiritual understanding was the reason for all of his power.
    I don't know why you, Dave Humm, keeps coming after me, I don't believe in absolutes either. I'm just trying to describe early Iwama techniques, and the way they did them then, such as doing a double tai no henko, and not letting the hand rise in kote gaeshi.
    The jujitsu moves are very nice.
    The kaiten nage moves are pretty much standard kaiten nage. My move is, you block the same, kind of slide out a little, don't put your other hand on the back of his head, but rather, slide your body way behind him, sort of like a real deep o soto gari, get behind him, dip down, because its going do be a hip throw, then, bring the other hand in---in front of him, possibly hugging clear around his front with your arm, then execute the throw as a hip throw. Your butt, etc, is basically behind uke. The arm you used to block down his attack, in the manner of kaiten nage, keeps his attacking hand out of the way. Your other hand is either sort of hugging him around the front of him, or, it could be wrapped over either shoulder. There are a lot of possible variations to it.
    I tried it with my buddy, the colonel, the other day, he was starting to get it pretty good.
    And again, I believe in no absolutes, someone may have thought this one up some time in the past, I just haven't seen it before.
    I, however, see it to be right in the aikido tradition, I wish I could show it to osensei, but he's not around any more.
    I don't have a camera. I'm sure there are plenty of you out there that can catch on to it, if you will only just try.
    Give it a go. I probably believe in most of you more than most of you believe in yourself.
    Ask questions.
    I

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Pfft Native American MA!

It's got nothing on yamyamjutsu I can tell you or it's off shoot brumdo.

I can teach you but you'll need to learn the language.

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Still haven't see a video of your new technique roadtod.

Native American Martial Arts

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4MKs6mVNA"]YouTube - ‪Native American Arts of War‬‏[/ame]

http://www.ten-no-kishi.com/aifaa.htm

Okay then!

5. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Does the reiho start of with "Ow am ya?" :D

6. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

I've seen that crap before, there's no evidence which supports it's origins as a "Native" American art.

7. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

That says just about everything I DON'T need to know.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

We won't get video on it because

a) it does not exist in the sense that it is a formalised system of combat with a proven lineage

and

b) I am hazarding a guess it would be so terrible that the flaming that it engendered would cause the ice caps to melt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....wait...you're serious?

9. Hannibal

10. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Well, I can see that you haters are sure making each other happy all right.
    If any of had the guts to try and do my throw, I'm sure you might actually learn something.

11. Hannibal

As you would if you actually stopped posting and took onboard the objective observations being made

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have you tried hitting a coin on the floor ????

Come on guys you've all been thinking it for a while!

13. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

Hitting a coin on the floor? Sorry, you're way over my head again.

14. Hannibal

LMAO - I wasn't until now but it does make sense!

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I know I just couldn't resist posting it. Anybody would think all the Japanese words used in the names would give the game away.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

So post a video. Let's see you do it first. It's your technique.

17. roadtoad

roadtoad Valued Member

I've already explained, I don't have a camera. Why don't you just try following my explination?

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You have a PC. Does it have a webcam?

Even cheap mobile phones have a video camera.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I want to see you perform your technique. Hardly a big ask.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I'm having a hard time picturing your explanation. It almost seems to me now like you are describing an irimi-nage done as a hip throw.

Pictures/video would help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.