Richard Sharpe

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by boards, Aug 22, 2012.

1. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Given that there are alot of British people on this forum, has anyone watched the Richard Sharpe TV show? If so are they any good. I love the books and was thinking of buying the first DVD and give it a go, but I don't want to spend 30 dollars on something that I don't know is any good. Specifically how does it compare to the books? I'm fine with changing things as long as it is done well and doesn't destroy the character.

2. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I had to look up "Richard Sharpe" but I kinda knew you meant "Sharpe". I'm not familiar with the character being called the former and just know him as the latter.

Although I've never watched a single episode, I can tell you that my mum will swear by then.

Wikipedia (yes I know...) gives an account of what is different between the books and the tv show:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

If I remember correctly, ITV would make a big thing about it before it was shown, what with previews and ads and I'm fairly show they figured highly in the ratings if that is any indication of how good they are.

A quick look online shows that you can get the complete series for under £50 here in the UK (about $75), so your $30 for the first DVD seems a little pricey to me...

3. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

They are awesome. I'd happily buy the entire set. One of my former colleagues used to show them in history lessons (and yes, I did too) and we still use them as gap fillers in emergencies even though most of them are now twenty years old.

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I haven't seen any for a few years, but I remember them as being a good watch.

5. John Titchen

Hang your head in shame.

6. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Excellent. Thanks guys, I will go ahead and see where I can find the cheapest buy.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I read most of the books and saw most of the episodes. I liked the books - great stories and characters and the videos were adapted pretty well. The best part of the movies is the casting - EXCELLENT actors in it (Sean "Boromir" Bean plays Sharpe!). Good stuff!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've never watched one Sharpe either.
    Never liked the period of history that happened between "no guns" and "machine guns" so Sharpe doesn't interest me sadly.
    Love Bernard Cornwell's further back history stuff though. :)

9. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

The early ones are great.

The Bear.

10. Chimpcheng

Whaaaaaat? Just never interested me when they were shown on tv. However, reading the synopses and background to the character I am sort of interest... Then again, my mum loves it so it's automatically uncool... :D

11. John Titchen

Your Mum loves it because she either fancies Sharpe or Harper.

You will like it because they are damn good stories well depicted on screen. Two very different things.

Besides, don't you want to see Sean Bean in something where he doesn't die? :)

12. Chimpcheng

Awww man, now you've gone and ruined it for me... :(

13. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Heh heh heh... my sister and I still make jokes about Sharpe.. usally along the lines of his commander saying,"Sharpe, take this toothpick and charge the hill, kill all the enemies, free the damsel, feed the horses, and kill any cave trolls you might see." Sharpe's reply: "Right." And then he does it.

Good stuff though