Rhee tkd school

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Handsup, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Handsup

Handsup New Member

Hi there folks,

I have done tkd before and got up to yellow green tip.

recently i joined "Rhee" tkd in australia. I just wanted to see if anyone else is a member of RHEE tkd in australia?......

The reason i want to know is that ive observed that a high number of students with high grade belts ( green-black tip) are quiet sloppy when it comes to their katas and kicks. Theri kicks hardly strecth above the waiste and the technique is horrible for a high ranked student.

I really respect The founder of our school and i highly respect my instructor and peers in the class. But Ive found that the students are really sloppy and ....i guess "effortless" when it comes to drills and katas and the like.

I also find that the drill work or kick bag works' are only performed for a front snap kick and a few others. Where are all the side kicks, spinning hook kicks, axe kicks, pushy picks,1- 4 kick combo drills on the bag, target mits work, and more ?........I would like to think that i would be very dedicated to this skool , but i am finding it very difficult to be pleased.

maybe I have misconceptions about this school which is the largest martial arts school chain in australia, but in my OLD tkd skool ( which was a very small skool we learned SO much stuff in just the first month and the excercises used to be of endliess variety.

I would like to find out if any other person from RHEE tkd feels the same way , or would like to share their experinces ??

please?

thank you all so much

2. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

Im with Rhee, im guessing you are a white belt then? If you just started with rhee. Dont expect to be shown everything you want in the first month. Remember you have only just started. But if it doesnt suit your need then move on and find one that does. But there are a couple of Rhee members here that would disagree with your view. If you were hoping for flip kicks, triple kicks, 4 kick combo's, demo's, competitions and trophies,then i can understand your misconception.
    Just out of curiosity, what was your last school? competition or traditional?

3. franksv

franksv Valued Member

If you like the teacher/school,don't worry about the other students.Just give 100 percent,train hard,have fun and be patient.You need good foundation before you can build a sturdy house.Give it your best,if you ve done this after a fair amount of time and you still have reservations,move on.

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Badger is with Rhee I believe. You should PM him

5. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I think you will find this is more due to lazy students.
    High flashy kicks which look good but lack power and often leave you wide oped for a counter attack is not what we strive for in Rhee. If I throw a side thusting kick I want to break bone, not make my opponent say Wow that looked good

Most people dont like doing thier hyungs, a lot of people find them a pointless waste of time. A lot of people overlook the value of hyungs, thus the lack of commitment and spirit. My advice to you is forget the other students and perform your hyung with pride, focus and spirit.
    I cant speak for every Rhee school but mine does do all that stuff.
    I suggest you speak to your instructor about this, tell him what you feel. As far as the lazy students he will more than likely agree with you as this would also be a thorn in his side. It sounds to me that you would make a very dedicated and loyal student, maybe this is the spice your instuctor has been waiting for.

6. Handsup

Handsup New Member

You know Badger you couldnt be more right if you tried.

I SHOULD ask him ......but i just cant be brave enough, because what if he';e think that im insulting his teaching method ?............he HAS been teaching for a while now ........

and Badger you are right my man , .....i am a dedicated student .....i didnt join the LARGEST tkd school for nothing! .....( but so far im less than convinced ....)

I just dont know how to give my instructor trainning advice when im ONLY a white belt......he might think im arrogant towards his method.....and if I AM wrong ....i dont wanna insult him .....I DO like my instrcutor very much ....

anyway .......thanks Badger .......

7. Handsup

Handsup New Member

My last school was called " Eye of the eagle tkd" in Sydney Australia.

I was ranked yellow green tip there. As far as I know it was a Competition based school, but you wouldnt know it....

I gotta tell use, ....I EVEN had a trainning in flying kicks when I was a white belter.

A lotta people get shocked at that and say "how could you?/....surely that must be a McDoJO....."....

I think it IS better when you introduce a lotta new stuff to a beggnier tho because then through practice over the years you get highly proficient at it......

anyway thats another story altogether.......

...I just hope Rhee tkd will make me the person and fighter i wanna be .....

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

I can see how you have come to that conclusion, but I don;t agree.

You have to walk before you can run. You can trace most if not all advanced kicks to basics. The proper way to learn advance kicks is to get proficient at the basics first. Its the same reason you learn stances, it is a foundation for your martial arts career.

If you start teaching beginners advanced kicks they could quite easily hurt themselves. Also in a street sitatuation or a tournament, its basic kicks that rule.

9. Smokemare

Smokemare ITF TKD 2nd Dan

Personally I think the secret is teach students techniques they are ready for them, and want to learn them.

Most white belts look like scarred kittens if asked to do a flying spinning twisting kick... But if they can learn and they want to - then hey teach them, but explain that it's a hard kick and say to be careful not to hurt themselves.

Conversely, I was running a class with lots of black belts and senior grades, I asked them to do flying reverse turning kick - and the faces they pulled! I don't ask people to do things that challenging and every time I get a negative response I will teach it less...

Personally if somebody offered to teach me somersaulting double foot downward kick - I'd jump at the chance...

10. Jesse@RTKD

Jesse@RTKD New Member

I train in RTKD. When i took a break from it i tried other places but for some reason i just cant train effectively in any other system. Also...I find RTKD more technical than other systems/arts, and you need to get all your stances, guards and basic kicks and strikes perfect before you start doing advanced stuff. Personally..the only advanced technique i find REALLY usefull at the moment is spinning heel kick...because it usually comes from out of your opponants field of vision and is hard to stop.

I have to agree that seeing a lot of kids who dont really try or get graded when their not really "up there" yet is disheartening when you are a bit older and really dedicated, i would have to say the main cause of that is oversized classes and gradings. Also i need to add that in RTKD...you are generally not expected to be hot stuff until you reach black belt, and getting each dan takes freakin ages.

Once you get up a few ranks...things will get better. Make sure you make yourself noticed by master Rhee at gradings, give something for your instructor to tell him like "he has trained in other MA.take notice" and you'll get double graded or something.

Hey Badger..are you an instructor? can you be mine? haha
    Maybe some regular advanced classes for more dedicated students like ourselves could be useful...
    Also...im probably going to move from Gympie to Brisbane in a few months...do you know of any branches there that are particularily good?
    Ill have to make it up to Cairns soon...

See ya

p.s if some of these seems nonsense its coz im overworked and its 1 am.

11. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

OK, My advice to you is train hard, Kiap loud, draw your instructors attention to you, show him that you want to be a dedicated and loyal student. If you have a good instructor then he will see what you need as a student and deliver.
    One thing to remember is just because Rhee Taekwon-Do is the biggest school our fair brown land it doesnt nessicarily mean that every branch has the most dedicated instructor it could, it should, but sometimes ego gets in the way. There are good instructors and bad in every organization. I hope you have a good instructor.
    No Jesse, I am not an instructor yet although I do assist in class and instruct junior grades when required. One day I hope to be an official RTKD instructor.

I will ask my instructor about branches in Brisbane and what he would recommend.

I dont actually live in Cairns but not too far away and if you are ever up this way be sure to let me know.

12. rtkd

rtkd Z-boyz

jesse, brisbane has one of the strongest regions in aust. Its regional instructor is Nigel higgs (3rd degree), and he has 4 sons who are all instructors (one being a 2nd degree). Very strong Family and very good for RTKD.
    Try to train at any of his gyms and you will be in good hands.
    Even better try to train at his gym.

13. Handsup

Handsup New Member

thanks

alright sweet as people....thanks for the advises or sharing your experiences with us ......

appreciate it

14. spudfish

spudfish New Member

Im geting graded soon i know my patten and everything about being a yellow belt do you
    reckon i cant get graded to green belt

15. rtkddevil

rtkddevil Valued Member

16. buck65

buck65 New Member

Excuse my ignorance guys but what are the main differences between Rhee TKD and ITF?
    Thanks in advance.

17. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

For starters there's no competition or sine wave.

I'm no expert on Rhee TKD, or TKD in general for that matter, but from what I understand Master Rhee was originally affiliated with the ITF when General Choi formed it, but when he noticed it was starting to go down the same path as the WTF, (competition) he split and formed Rhee TKD.

Painting with a very wide brush you could say it's like an 'older' TKD.

As mentioned though, I'm not a TKD person and I don't study Rhee TKD, so feel free to take this all with as much salt as necessary.

I'm sure someone could give a better reply.

18. rtkddevil

rtkddevil Valued Member

That’s a pretty good summary Cannibal Bob. Rhee Tae Kwon Do teaches the original Chang-Hon TKD style (Chon-ji Hyungs), as Master Chong Chul Rhee taught as a South Korean Marine. Master Chong Chul Rhee and his younger brother Master Chong Hyup Rhee are part of the 12 original Korean TKD Masters http://www.itfnz.org.nz/ref/documents/masters.htm .
    As you noted Bob - Master Rhee deeply believes TKD is a martial art and not a sport as such RTKD has stayed with the traditional way and has never adopted sinewave or competition as the reborn ITF (of the 1980’s) implemented to compete with the massive worldwide popularity of WTF brand of TKD.

PS: Most of the older international schools ceased association with the ITF during that dark period of in TKD history when General Choi “visited” North Korea and the Generals organisation lost the backing of the South Korean government and as such most of the original TKD Masters.

Fishie & Buck seem to have a similar animalistic scent, as such this thread seems to be

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  19. buck65

buck65 New Member

So in training is there much emphasis placed on sparring? Also are low kicks , elbows , knee strikes allowed as these seem to be phased out due to competition rules.Thanks

20. buck65

buck65 New Member

Fishie & Buck seem to have a similar animalistic scent, as such this thread seems to be[/QUOTE]

I am not that guy if thats what you mean??