Review / Notes Kukishin Ryu – Hanbojutsu - Art of Stick fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KyDavid, May 23, 2010.

1. KyDavid

KyDavid Valued Member

Hi

I've finished up my review/notes of
    Kukishin Ryu – Hanbojutsu - Art of Stick fighting by Moti Nativ

Below is the general information and review. To see the notes and screenshots from the DVD see:
    http://sites.google.com/site/davidcanesite/videos/hanbojutsu-dvd
    ----------------------------------------------

Moti Nativ has created this DVD to provide additional information to the book Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self-Defense by Masaaki Hatsumi and Quentan Chambers

Skill Level: Intermediate to advance
    Available From: Bujinkan-israel.co.il or Bushindo University $40

Length: 60 minutes

Quality: Professional production. Very good video and sound. Menu allows you to move to sections

Sample Video: YouTube - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltkjqs5jhKc"]Stick Fighting (Hanbo Jutsu) - Shihan Moti Nativ - YouTube[/ame]

Key concepts:

1. Hands slide along stick in strikes.

2. Use of leverage to apply locks and throws.

3. Moving offline of attack.

Review
    Ok this DVD has A LOT of info in it. Now I'm not saying that I like all the techniques but it does have a lot to offer.

PROs Many of the techniques are what I call "Drunk Brother-in-law or co-worker techniques" They take care of the treat but without harm to the person but leave them in a position that more damaging techniques could be used if needed. Also the DVD covers a lot of getting offline to avoid the attack and the use of leverage to apply locks and throws.

CONs Some of the techniques are just to complicated for my likening and some will only work if it is a same side grab or across grab. Also the knife defense involve allowing the knife to get in range where I prefer to use the stick to keep the knife beyond my flesh. All of the kick defenses are for front kicks that are above the belt. While these could also be used for side kicks there isn't anything for roundhouse or hook kicks.

Summary - I think this is a very good DVD for people that have a good base in stick work and/or empty hand self defense. Also very good for law enforcement officer or people that need to avoid injuring attackers. If you need a stick to walk, study some of the more basic DVDs 1st like:

Martial Cane Concepts - A Realistic System of Walking Stick Self-Defense with Michael D. Janich

or

Hapkido Cane; Big Stick Fighting from the Dojo to the Street by Alain Burrese

--------------------
    You can see the whole review, notes and screenshots at:
    http://sites.google.com/site/davidcanesite/videos/hanbojutsu-dvd
    or
    http://bit.ly/aXe8jc

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. Nutjob

Nutjob Jimmy Tarbuck

Great,

so Moti has taken one of Hatsumi's great books & transferred it to DVD to make a profit...nice one :rolleyes:

3. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

So this is ninjer Kukishin and not koryu Kukishin? Nice one (again) :rolleyes:

4. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

People can only teach what they are trained in. Why is that a problem?

5. ScottUK

To each their own. Not really into the separated lines of ryuha that have found their way into the Bujinkan. Guess I was hoping for the koryu Kukishin-ryu.

6. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Meh, Give me British Singlestick training any day: more effective, same size of weapon.

The Bear.

7. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

How so?

8. Kurai Unkai

Kurai Unkai Valued Member

I was hoping we'd get an answer to this as well.

It's been ten days, though. That might be our answer...

9. poryu

poryu Valued Member

Hi Scott

why would someone who does Iai and has no connection to any of the Kukishin ryu care about the content of this video.

i suppose i could complain the Niten ichi ryu if I saw a Niten ichi ryu video with members of Seitei iai on it.

10. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Members of seitei iai? A? What?

Maybe he's interested because like a lot of people involved with koryu he has an interest in related material.

I really don't understand this attitude some people have where they think that just because someone is "outside" an art that they should not have an interest in it.

I would imagine you've looked into non Bujinkan related arts/material even if it's only been "in passing". I seem to remember you posting something about being in Japan and doing something non Bujinkan related?

If people didn't have an interest in things they are not involved in then they for a start would never take up anything new and also they would live in a very small "box" with no reference to the arts outside that box and as a result would have a very limited view of things.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  11. poryu

poryu Valued Member

been doing that for years LOL

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

13. ScottUK

Hi Paul,
    Actually I was shown an old vid of Kukishin-ryu last year and I found it quite interesting - as in 'would like to know more' rather than 'want to try'. I have enough on my plate to keep me going for aeons.

So, that said, I started looking into Kukishin as I am a bit of a koryu nut - and the only stuff I could find was the Kukishin that is practiced by the Booj - and while some of the techniques were recognisable from the koryu version, there were a rake of differences.

Hence my earlier comment regarding my interest in koryu Kukishin-ryu.

Not sure what you're getting at here. Care to elaborate?

14. poryu

poryu Valued Member

HI Scott

there are several branches of kukishin ryu today but the main line is long dead unfortunately, but the Kukishinden Tenshin Hyoho is sponsored by the Kuki family today.

The only thing that truely ties all the Kukishin ryuha together is the bojutsu but that will be slightly different between each branch.

Quest produced a nice video on the Hanbo that we do which is the best Bujinkan version i have seen and tanemura sensei once released a Genbukan video with some nice hanbo but that series is long gone I think and he has not yet produced a newer version.

Also look out for Hon tai Yoshin Ryu as the Hanbo and Bojutsu in HYR is also Kukishin ryu related.

other comment was a joke

15. ScottUK

I have also seen the bojutsu of HYR but that was different again. I assume I was seeing HYR's own bojutsu? Assuming, that is, that they have their own in addition to KKS bo?

Any idea as to why Booj KKS bo is practiced so differently to the koryu version? The format seems to be completely different and the kata format seems to have been removed?

NP to the joke, but FYI I am a seiteigata practitioner who happens to be a member of Hyoho Niten Ichi-ryu. My dojo is also listed on the NKK website for HNIR:

http://www.nihonkobudokyoukai.org/martialarts/034/ ;)

16. ScottUK

To elaborate on the 'kata removed' comment - the koryu KKS is kata-based but the Booj KKS seems to be more of a loose system of waza?

Am I right here or have I only seen one method of presentation of the techniques?

17. Ace of Clubs

Ace of Clubs Banned Banned

He's a wise *******, I'll give him that.

Coming back to his comment, the similarities between western and eastern stick are so strikingly similar that it's difficult to tell them apart. I was looking at Jogo do Pau the other day and the similarities to Jo were astounding.

Just reinforces my hypothesis that it the absolute peak of efficiency and effectiveness sword, stick or unarmed will look the same regardless of where it comes from because you can only move the body or the weapon effectively and efficiently in so many ways.

18. kikentai

kikentai Valued Member

The Bujinkan Kukishinden ryu happo hikenjutsu is a koryu version, the main line Kukishin ryu is separated by an interaction between the Takagi ryu bojutsu and some shared taijutsu.

Since this time the Kukishinden ryu happo hikenjutsu and the main line branch have differed in kata.

Umm if you are talking about the quality of the instruction you would find in the Bujinkan, verses taught in a Koryu way, then I see why you would want to look elsewhere.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  19. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

I'm not so sure that's what he's asking. I think it's more a matter of the way techniques are taught and presented.

I would say that the hanbojutsu is most often taught significantly similarly to the kata of some koryu budo, but the longer staff stuff is most often taught significantly differently.

20. ScottUK

I will clarify.

Koryu KKS - kata-driven, formally-presented, strong on kihaku, fudoshin.

Bujinkan KKS - waza-driven, more of a collection of 'this works against this, that works against that' type of thing, plenty of fushin.

I don't believe that the two KKS practices are done in the same manner, just as other koryu that have been subsumed into other arts are done in a different manner. That's not a cheap shot, just a fact of budo life. If a judoka starts practicing koryu jujutsu unchecked and as side-art, then his juju will undoubtedly a) be 'judo' style jujutsu, and b) will not be as strong as if he practiced this alone.

In short, the koryu KKS is presented as many koryu are, but the Booj KKS seems to be a 'let's take the waza and learn them only' arrangement. The fushin/fudoshin thing may just be a depth of study issue...

Is anyone willing to post a link to a vid of what they believe is typical Bujinkan KKS? I will concede that the stuff I saw may not have been typical of Booj KKS. I will speak to my fellow and see if I can upload (for a brief period) the koryu KKS material, purely for comparison.