Resistance is futile

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'm not in your shoes, but I can't see it.

We have by the sounds of it one or two practitioners who could, but for the rest of the stylists I cannot see how you would have the conditioning to deal with a top level MMA, or maybe Thai practitioner.

Over the years I've heard many claim they could do this, that or the other, but my reply is always the same. "How do you react when they do it to you"?

I can't see how you have enough conditioning and exposure to cope.

I'll be honest, and again I say I am coming from a position of ignorance in Japanese arts, I've not seen a Ninjutsu practitioner who could cope with a good boxer, Thai, MMA, JKD fighter, let alone a top level MMA fighter.

I'd be interested in the views of others with more knowledge here.

2. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

If you already have a prejudiced outlook about something, no amount of logical persuasion would change you mind, so it's not really much we can do to allay your doubts. If you are really interested, you could take a trip to visit one of the ninja masters when you visit Japan on your next vacation.

Not gonna get into the too deadly to spar issue again but there have been plenty of examples of tough professional fighters getting kicked in the groin or gouged in the eye and not being able to continue a fight(Silva vs Gilbert Yvel comes to mind or Gary Goodridge vs Pedro Octavio). Since people who train for ring fighting are expecting and prepared to deal with a certain kind of attacking, they would be at a disadvantage against someone who doesn't attack in the conventional way that they are trained to. Wristlocks, using unconventional strikes(chops, different knuckles, the fingers, etc), and weapons(if allowed), would take more of an acclimating stage for someone to be able to know how their use would affect a potential match. Look at how BJJ took so many people by storm at first or how toe holds and ankle locks did the same.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not necessarily true - Yuki Nakai lost the sight in one of his eyes to a man who outweighed him by nearly 100lbs who felt "eye gouge" was allowed and still won....he then beat another even bigger guy half blind

Eye gouges assist setting things up, they are not an ender per se

Also I believe that an average MMA fighter of today would annihilate a top tier MMA fighter of the period when Jennum, Morris et al fought so that is not the best example

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Jennum was a Hayes or Bussey guy though wasn't he? So any link to Bujinkan arts was tenuous (at best!)

Who is Morris? Did he dance with bells on?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  5. Please reality

Touche. Again, the point wasn't to put these gentlemen up as examples of great MMA competitors(though Jennum did win an early UFC), just to show that it had been done before. If the field was as good as it is today, do you think Royce would've won as many early bouts either?

I thought Gordeau was known to be a rule breaker.:whistle: Of course we know Takamatsu sensei would've done it differently. The crotch grab in Goodridge's case didn't win him the fight but it did set up the winning exchange.

The strategy of ninjutsu doesn't necessarily fit the ring but it is interesting that people whose only idea is to hit as hard as they can sometimes end up damaging themselves in the process. There are two pretty well known instances of kicking someone so hard you break your own shin, most recently with Silva. Or there was Le Banner blocking Hoost's kicks in the same manner that he ended up getting his forearm broken(one would think that he would've been a bit more creative in his defense and moved).

There was another thread recently about some cool new body armor that had been developed and one of the tests was to have a Muay Thai boxer put the suited up testee through his paces. He wasn't able to have much effect, actually punching himself backwards with an uppercut to the armor. Since arts like ninjutsu were based on this kind of fighting, it is interesting to think how they would tackle a similar dilemma. This gets back to what I was talking about with fighting strategy and principles.

All this is besides the point however. A traditionally trained exponent of the Takamatsuden arts would be sufficiently toughened and trained to compete in most fighting arenas, some in which a similarly trained exponent of some arts wouldn't(ie use of traditional weapons format).

6. Hannibal

7. Please reality

8. Hannibal

I know right?

"Here I have a 6'2" 220lb striker with massive power in his hands....lets run at him and see what happens!!! BANZAI!!!!!" - splat!

Jennum was also soundly trounced by Abbott and then by Ruas, who barely broke a sweat doing so.

Significantly he actually fared very well against a boxer, Melton Bowen (who to be fair was entirely a puncher with literally nothing else on offer)