Resistance is futile

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Please reality, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I suppose if you magically took away my recognition, time, and will I wouldn't be able too. But that isn't a simple matter. Unless I see a good video example of a technique rendering someone completely unable to resist I just won't buy it.

I just find the attitude of "my technique is too deadly to resist" as little preposterous.

2. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

:cool:

3. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

Nothing magical about it at all. It is about how we perceive visually, how we feel something, and how the body works. I never said it was a simple matter nor for anyone other than advanced practitioners who could already do things the obvious and normal way that most everyone in the martial arts is familiar with.

Not too deadly, but if you are being targeted for violence by a pro, you are likely going to fall victim to it because they are a pro. Same thing here, unless you are on a similar level, you will fall for it every time.

You still didn't answer my question about how you resist? I gave you an example of one way in which you wouldn't be able to see it coming, there are countless more. No stimulus means nothing to resist against. No time means it is too late to resist. No base or balance means the mechanism to resist is taken away. Again, we aren't talking about a long time, fractions of a second is all that it takes.

4. Grass hopper

I answered your question, if you took those things away I wouldn't be able to resist.

Again, until I see a video example of a technique that is impossible to resist I won't believe it. We've all been thrown by our sensei (or sifu, or coach) and thought "that was impressive!" But that doesn't make their technique impossible to resist.

5. Please reality

How do you deal with a situation where your block is used to put you in a worse trouble, or as a springboard to another attack? What is an effective measure against something you didn't see or are out of position to handle? Another aspect of this is positioning, something I alluded to but didn't go into detail in the OP. Basically, if you are facing a guy to attack but midway through the attack you aren't facing him anymore, how do you resist his next move? You have to take the time to reorient unless you can do some kind of spinning attack as you are going past(unlikely). So again, you are now off-balance and facing the wrong way.

I never said that you will find videos online of what I am talking about. I also said that the majority of ninjers out there doing complacent armhanging training will never get to where they are trying to with that kind of playing.

6. Please reality

So why were you thrown?

7. Grass hopper

Because my sensei was demonstrating a technique on me.

8. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

To the first paragraph, in Boxing you better use that footwork to reposition and make sure your head moves on the shift so you're not an easy target! And cover up, that's a bad spot to be in!

To your second paragraph, I never said you did. I was just telling you the view of the person looking into the window in these discussions. That's what we see in most of these videos, hence the issue with what we are exposed to with Ninjutsu. It all seems like that.

9. Grass hopper

Unless I see specific techniques I can't answer how I would resist them, even still I would probably have to have experienced it to know what I would do.

No videos of what you are talking about? With the hundreds of ninjutsu videos (for secret assassins they do love making YouTube videos) you haven't seen a single example of what makes the way ninjas train valid? What does that tell you?

10. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Instinct?

11. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't think what pr is talking about is unique to the buj
    All world class martial artists have ways to deceive, to minimise the opportunity for their partner to counter, defend etc

Sucker punches, push to pull, high low combos etc are all simple expressions of the principle. Truly world class practitioners can develop a lot of skill in this area that allows them to operate effectively as they age

Im kinda surprised there's a argument to the principle

12. Grass hopper

We aren't arguing that trickery is an effective means of combating resistance (I personally was taught to use a lot of it, especially when striking) but rather that

1-resistance is futile. A resisting opponent is always harder to hurt than a non-resisting opponent.

2-techniques can be properly shown and practiced to their fullest without resistance. They can't. See my earlier post about my 290lb partner in class last night. When resistance was added I had to alter the technique.

13. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No disagreement from me on your points

I don't think pr is contradicting them either

14. Grass hopper

If he isn't than we can chalk this up to a misunderstanding of wording.

Is that what it is pr?

15. Please reality

I am saying that there are ways to short circuit someone's ability to resist, and that it is an advanced concept that probably most martial artist's will never got to in their training. I am also saying(in case you're still confused that we agree on this point) that the way most people practice in the Bujinkan in an attempt to get to the stage I am referring to, is futile because they are only playing at something that takes hard work, dedication, trial and error, and more to achieve.

This is why you won't see what I'm talking about on video, though there are some home videos that do show it(not for public consumption).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  16. Please reality

Instinct? Whoa, stop with all the new age mumbo jumbo, you are starting to sound like those people who belive in sakki.

17. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I really think you are continuing to make it clear that you do not truly understand resistance. For example if I am sparring, by standing in my basic guard position with my hands up by my chin I am resisting my opponent. He cannot just come in and throw a punch because he knows a counter is waiting, shooting a takedown or throwing a kick are both low percentage at this point because I am also resisting him by controlling my range and trying to preempt his movement by reading his body language. But my opponent knows how to deal with resistance, because he has trained against it.

A jab is thrown, forcing a defensive move. The jab is parried, but the jab was thrown with no force and was never intended to strike, it needed to draw a reaction (and it did it's job). The uncommitted nature of the jab has allowed my opponent to throw a surprisingly quick cross behind it, but that was expected, and that is why my right hand is still glued to my chin. The cross is slipped, the same motion loading up my hand for a right hook which is thrown with full intent. My opponent weaves under the hook, and remains low, shooting for a double. The over-commitment to the hook leaves me unable to defend against the takedown, my opponent moves into a high full mount, and then the fight is over.

That is what real resistance basically looks like in any fighting art. You try a technique, it is countered, you counter the counter, repeat process until someone fails to counter. This can only be learned from training in a free manner with no fixed tori or uke. If my coach was unable to teach me to slip jabs (even his) he would be failing in his job. But just because I can avoid some of his punches doesn't mean I could beat him, because he understands resistance and often knows what move I will make before I have even thought of making it. Fighting is like a chess match (with face-punching). Moves are preempted with tricks like offering up an arm with the intent of countering the obvious armbar in order to gain a better position to attack from. Feints are thrown to force defensive moves.

If I allowed my coach to put me in a text-book RNC then I wouldn't be able to resist once he has his hooks locked in, but that is no use if you can't flow through move and counter-move in order to gain the position in order to apply the technique. Practicing to resist a technique is important, and so is practicing to apply a technique while your opponent is resisting. What is really important however, is practicing to defend yourself from your opponent when you have no idea what techniques he may apply, and trying to apply your techniques to an opponent who is trying to execute his own attack. That is proper resistance, and the point at which your training starts to have real-world applicability. If you allow your opponent to get a strong grip on you, then it is pretty late to start resisting a throw. You should have started resisting before your opponent even touched you, ideally before the thought of throwing you had even entered his mind.

Fighting against a technique is resistance, but only the most basic level. The more advanced ideas of resistance are concepts such as resisting by not putting yourself in a position where techniques can be executed against you, resisting by executing your own attack, or even resisting by tricking your opponent into carrying out specific attacks which you have already prepared a counter for. If you claim you cannot resist a technique you clearly do not understand the depth of the concept of resistance.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  18. Grass hopper

not for public consumption? how convenient. let me guess, fly to japan to learn it?

19. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Not unique though. A number of systems keep things hidden from the public and even students until they reach a certain level.

20. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Or until they fly to another country and pay a decent sum to someone they've never met and never will again. Its like hiding the secrets of bjj behind a 2 hour gracie seminar.