reports personal success (or failure)

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiMac, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave Humm
    I personally don't care for his association to the 'spiritualistic' sides of his persona but, his Aiki is strong.

Interesting omission of comment on hairstyles and acting skills

LMAO mate nice one needed a good laugh to day.. Yeh you got me.. his acting is ****e and his hair.. well what can I say :)

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hey Spike!

Nice Creesh. ;)

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

"I used to know an aikidoka with 5yrs training (he was just starting to train live blade katana). I'd only just started kungfu and was keen to play. This guy consistently put me on my ass and half the time I didn't know how I'd got there."

That would be an obvious one.. he had 5 years experience .. you didn't. And I'm not sure what the importance (if any) to the mentioning of a live blade ?? Aikido doens't require students to train with or use a shinken.

Dave

4. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

I knew a few guys that went on a Seagal course in Paris about 5 or so years ago. Apparently it was open to anyone, so there were people off the street in camouflage gi's and other such tragic fashion statements. They also said that Seagal had an entourage of minders stopping anyone taking photo's. All 2nd hand information though.

And Spike says he doesn't know what a creesh is.

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I don't see how.

His hairs full of it!

Creesh=Grease!

6. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Interesting point about the Police/Riots

The also have numbers, Authority, Riot Gear and WEAPONS.

That helps with Riots not Aikido I think it will help with more one on 1 restraint stuff but not riots guys.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

They wouldn't spend money teaching it to them if it didn't help.

PL

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yep it's true the riot police in Japan get taught Aikido. Somebody must think it works.

9. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Tokyo Riot Police

I believe that the riot police actually get a choice in doing a 'Traditional Japanese Martial Art', not necessarily Aikido, as I believe some go to the Kodokan to get beaten up as well.

Yes, they are only there to get beaten up!

If you guys want to continue this debate feel free to start a new thread (or expand on one of the 5 or so Riot police ones that are floating around ;).

Col

10. Sonshu

It was discussed before

And someone did say that its not Aikido its more a Jujitsu vairant but still they are tooled up fairly well and not able to do a massive amount to people due to laws.

Much like uk cops.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well back to personal success or failure. Tonight at practice I was with two white belts. One was pretty much a total beginer prepairing for his very first grading. The other had done aikido in the past and passed so many gradings then gave up.

My techniques worked fine with the beginer. But failed to work with the other white belt first time. Until I started this post I thought I had simply forgotten to take into account that the other student had some experience and would require a slightly more powerful technique. However looking back on the class that wasn't the real problem.

The real problem was that the student I had trouble with wasn't giving me anything to work with. He had no unbendable arm and no coordination. There was basicaly nothing for the technique to work against.

Had he been attacking me from movement I would have at least had his momentum to work with. But we were doing basic techniques that are static.

My failure wasn't realy that I forgot to use more power with the difficult guy. It was that I failed to see the real problem with the technique. Even when teaching other people there's still plenty of opertunity for you to learn as well.

12. Sonshu

Teaching is often the best way to learn

AT A HIGHER LEVEL.

I often find watching students lets me see things and adapt an play with use my own skills better also explaining how a move works and breaking it down helps you understand its application better.

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Insightful. Thanks.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah I agree teaching is absolutly the best way to learn. It shows you exactly how well you understand what it is you're doing and when it goes wrong it I find the problem sticks in you're mind more than if you were just practicing and you become more determind to find the solution..

15. Sonshu

Comes back to what I said earlier

You can know all the techniques in the world but you never really know them until you can pass them on and most importantly APPLY them.

Nice

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well with regards to the application of the technique I wasn't concerened with pile driving my ukes into the ground. I was showing very basic movement and form. Nothing more. I was focusing on this for two reasons.
    1. One of the students was prepairing for his very first grading. A show of raw power isn't required for this. However a grasp of the basics behind the techniques is required, as is a basic grasp of concepts such as unbendable arm and coordination.

You can't teach someone basics if you're throwing them around like a rag doll.
    2. The other student was joining in because he hadn't practiced for a few years, had previously attended a different club where the techniques were done a little differently. He was basicaly getting a refresher session and was being brought up to speed with how we do the techniques.
    In both cases the basic form and movement was the most important thing to teach. So that is what I was teaching. I also didn't have the luxuary of taking up the whole class to do this, so I wasn't teaching things that didn't have to be taught that day.

There will be plenty of oppertunity for both students to learn to apply a technique and accept a technique applied with power later in their Aikido development. At this stage the basics are what they need to learn. :D

Last edited: Feb 25, 2004
  17. Sonshu

It was just a statement

I understand 100% where your at with this as beginers need to start at the begining.

When learning the movement is more important you learn the technique movement then you learn the application.

When you can apply it then your nearing the mark.

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah that's kewl. I just thought I could explain better what it was I was doing.

19. Sonshu

Cool

No probs :D

20. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

I was attacked twice by a tae kwon doka, and each time was a life and death situation. But I was able to end the fight in about one second without getting hurt.
    And about those jerks, there going to to be around for many years to come, I wish it were other wise. But when they attack you to see If your the real thing, It sure is fun to throw them and watch how stunned they are.