Removing the stigma of rape

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by jimmytofu, Jul 7, 2004.

1. jimmytofu

jimmytofu A majority of one

One woman's highly emotive account of a rape attack and her pioneering actions to remove the social stigma associated with such a heinous crime.

Bridget Kelly

2. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

A very moving story. She handles it very very well. :)

3. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

It's hard for me to conjure a good reply to this...
    Part of the psychological pain that women go through after rape comes from the repression and denial that they force themselves through. They think that they have to hide what happened, because it's not "tasteful" or "proper" in our society to discuss those kinds of things.
    I hold rape and murder as a toss-up for the worst crime in existence. Yet, you hear so many murder cases on the news, but rapes are only reported if they were accompanied by a murder, or cautiously described as a "sexual assault." This woman is perfectly right. It should be the woman's choice whether or not to come forward. They should not be forced to come to light, but neither should all victims be forced to hide in their own pain.
    This is a very strong woman. I can only pray that other women can follow her example and not let their own guilt and suffering over something that wasn't their fault drag them down.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Thanks for sharing that article /

I had seen that report on the television news and it was indeed a highly emotional account.

Unfortunately, along with true accounts of rape being reported there are also false accusations of assaults (women who cry wolf) .... every false allegation makes it more difficult for the real victims.

Bear in mind that 75% of rapes are committed by an acquaintance (someone you know). Boundaries are often tested, then eventually breached. Then comes the initial stage of disbelief "What are you doing?" or "This can't be happening to me!"

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I feel ashamed for all the males of the species when such things happen. I'm glad she survived it.

6. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

how a man, if the bast*** could be called that, can do such a thing, i will never understand. there's bravery, and then there's bravery, and that woman has shown all. i wish everyone was as strong as her.

7. jimmytofu

I actually heard her personal account on a radio show yesterday. As you can imagine, I felt somewhat compelled to try and increase discussion and awareness.

8. jimmytofu

I don't think the article mentions the perpetrator..

After leaving her for dead, he drove off in her car. She managed to find help and was rushed to hospital. Later on the perpetrator came back to the scene (still in her car) with his friends so he could show off his evil deeds. By this time the police were there looking for evidence.. and duly caught him.

He was convicted and is currently incarcerated, he will only be eligible for parole in 2052.

9. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

She is one brave woman!

10. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

The courgage that she displays is amazing and very humbling.