Religion?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Master J, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

Sorry for going off topic here but i couldn't help but recognise the word scripture. This has for a long time inteersted me.

If a scripture written today by a man considered on the fringe of society, stating that something was wron in some christian belief or another. Would oyu beive him.

I don't see why not, you believe the same sorts of people (not jesus) who worte the same sorts of thing years ago (this is where i bring it back on topic).

Someone sadi something earlier about chritianity not comflicting i think (correct me if i'm wrong). This confuses me some what. Firstly there are many contradictions in the old/ new testament with each other. Which laws should we take to be true? I know some hristians who say that the old testament is only thee for historical background but thtis makes little sense to me.There are so mnay lessons there.

Take for example teh entire US capital punishment. It is based on "an eye for an eye" Which is old testament which completly contradicts teh teachings of Jesus "turn the other cheek":confused: yet the american system claims to be a christian one.And tehy read out something concerning God in teh judgement b4 they execute them.

Can someone explain???

2. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

The Bible mainly describes a world of religion fighting religion in wars. Capital Punishment is very much a part of the Biblical world.

Thou shalt not kill should be Thou shalt not murder. The punishment for murder was death.

Slavery was also very much a part of the society of the Jews, Romans and Christians.

Christ instructions of 'love' and 'turn the other check' are more for social and personal interactions and not to be taken as the rules in the court of law.

Christ's promise of a world united and enlightened under more spiritual laws without wars was for a later age when the Prince of Peace would come and not the age which he brought with his message.

3. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao New Member

First off id like to state that the U.S. may claim to be a christian one but stands for nothing that our forefathers based america on a little over 200 years ago.

Now about capital punnishment ant the Turn the other cheek contradiction. you must look at it from a different angle. God is a merciful and Just God. This means he is long suffering he will let us "get away" with sin for a period of time allowing us the chance to get right with God on our own. But how often do we get right on our own? it seemes that He always has to rebuke us before we get right with Him. Is not this long suffering Turning the other cheak? and when we sin and He has to rebuke us is that not also for our good? Is not capital punnishment for those who did not get right on their own? Why is it a contradiction? Do you expect God to give more mercy to those on death road than he did his own son on the Cross?

4. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Sorry for going off topic here but i couldn't help but recognise the word scripture. This has for a long time inteersted me.

If a scripture written today by a man considered on the fringe of society, stating that something was wron in some christian belief or another. Would oyu beive him.

****In the scriptures gives in:

---Matt. 24:24:"False Christs and False prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to misled, if possible, even the chosen ones"
    ---Matt. 7:15-23: Be on the watch for the false prophets....Many will say to me in that day,'Lord, Lord, did we not perform many powerful works in your name?' And yet the I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."
    ---(King James Bible)1 Cor. 12:29, 30:"29 Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?
    30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?"

---(New American Standard Bible) 1 Cor. 13:8, 9:8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

I don't see why not, you believe the same sorts of people (not jesus) who worte the same sorts of thing years ago (this is where i bring it back on topic).

Someone sadi something earlier about chritianity not comflicting i think (correct me if i'm wrong). This confuses me some what. Firstly there are many contradictions in the old/ new testament with each other. Which laws should we take to be true? I know some hristians who say that the old testament is only thee for historical background but thtis makes little sense to me.There are so mnay lessons there.

****The old Testament are historical record of actions between God and man. God struggled with the Israelites giving them chances upon chances to keep up their end of the covenant that God gave them. (The agreement was basically they worship God and listen to God. God would continue to keep them in his favor and bless them with gifts of sorts.)
    They kept breaking the covenant repeatedly through their actions, and God kept forgiving. And the Ten Commands was the first written law for man, but Israelites kept breaking those laws. As it was explained to me, everytime the israelites sinned they would offer up a scarifice to God to atone for sins.
    (heres the twist)
    ;As the bible goes on(into the New Testament), Jesus was born; preached the word of the bible; showed man that the Ten Commandments can be held up, through the all the torment he received from humans; and basically, his death was the utlimate scarifice for the atonement for the action committed against him and the father. And Jesus said the only greatest laws were:

1.) Love God with your whole mind, soul, and heart
    2.) Love your neighbor as yourself.

---His death brought man back in line for a state of perfect life, which adam lost for man.

What made him the perfect scarifice?
    1 Pet. 2: 22: WHO COMMITTED NO SIN, NOR WAS ANY DECEIT FOUND IN HIS MOUTH;

Heb. 7: 26: For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;

Take for example teh entire US capital punishment. It is based on "an eye for an eye" Which is old testament which completly contradicts teh teachings of Jesus "turn the other cheek" yet the american system claims to be a christian one.And tehy read out something concerning God in teh judgement b4 they execute them.

---> Jesus made Sunday just another day. So "eye for an eye" is no longer valid anymore. But if the government perceives that condition of law let it stand.

Can someone explain???

Last edited: Dec 16, 2003
  5. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

****The old Testament are historical record of actions between God and man. God struggled with the Israelites giving them chances upon chances to keep up their end of the covenant that God gave them. (The agreement was basically they worship God and listen to God. God would continue to keep them in his favor and bless them with gifts of sorts.)
    They kept breaking the covenant repeatedly through their actions, and God kept forgiving. And the Ten Commands was the first written law for man, but Israelites kept breaking those laws. As it was explained to me, everytime the israelites sinned they would offer up a scarifice to God to atone for sins.

There are at least several writen codes of law older than the ten commandments. The Egyptian, Babalonian, Hitite and the first Vedic laws are all older.

The obvious is that laws are always broken by the people who should obey tham.

]

I think Jeasus still endorsed the sabbath, but demonstrated the hypocrasy of how the many observed the Sabbath.

6. thekingster

thekingster New Member

Apparently, many have evaluated my posts as being inflammatory - for that I apologize, it has not been my goal. In earlier posts, somewhat denigrating information had been aimed at Christians, in general...that's why I responded at all.

Spirited discussion is good - but if it get's too out of hand then we should agree to disagree. No one's mind will be changed based on the information of this forum.

7. Sub zero

Sub zero Valued Member

uhh huuuuuu.

So did jesus go and people who had killed other people? NO he tried to help them. He's a funny bloke like that..

So your saying that he ment this only to betaken in social intractions? if you can show me a reference from teh bible i will agree with you.

Andas for christian society condoning it..............jesus didn't in my view. But teh CHRISTian societies did. Using religion as a method of control. even up until this day in some ****ires. Ans not the religous freedom that should be practiced.

8. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

[
    So did jesus go and people who had killed other people? NO he tried to help them. He's a funny bloke like that..

So your saying that he ment this only to betaken in social intractions? if you can show me a reference from teh bible i will agree with you.

Frank says:

I don't feel Christ abolished the Old Testiment Laws. He revealed new principles of belief and conduct and I feel his laws more focused on the personal behavior of the individual than how law should be administered in the courts. He did change some laws like those concerning divorce which is universially disobeyed today.

9. Shaolin Dragon

Shaolin Dragon Born again martial artist

I believe it is called "The Epic of Gilgamesh," written about 1800 BC. Also, you should say the oldest KNOWN book in the world.
    Incidently the world's oldest known actual "book" is an Etruscan offering made out of six 24-carat gold pages.

I do hope I'm right or this little bit of showing off will make me look quite stupid.:D

10. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

No guts, no glory! ;)

11. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

You're right on both counts. Though the Epic of Gilgamesh is likely older.

12. Shaolin Dragon

:D
    Yes , the epic of Gilgamesh is nearly 4000 years old, but is not an actual book as such. The Etruscan "book" is only about 2500 years old, and has yet to be translated as I understand (because nobody can read Etruscan).

13. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

Even though the Epic of Gilgamesh was writen on clay tablets and stone, it was definitely a book in the concept of a story with an author, chapters and a plot. Most historians realize that books may take different forms. A book today may never be printed and bound today. It can be in digital, or audo form. Gilgamesh may be called the oldest historial novel.

14. Shaolin Dragon

To me, the word book will always mean the physical item. If it is not printed and bound, then it isn't a book, even though it can still be a story or a play. But this is just semantics.

My understanding was that the Epic of Gilgamesh was indeed a story, but was more like a play than a novel.

15. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

I guess another way to put is Gilgamesh is the first literature. I highly recommend you read it. To understand the human story on earth it is best to egin with the first story. It is in some way of interest to those studying the Arts. Gilgamesh fights Ekido his natural alterego, but neither can win.

It is an epic narrative originally told as a story handed down from on generation to another. I don't think it should be called a play.