Religion and ninjutsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by dragon_bunny, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Shau

Shau kurai okami

I am a very non-typical Christian and I train in, and embrace, every aspect of ninjutsu that I can. I am more spiritual than religious, and always open to others ideas. I do not force my beliefs on others, and in return, do not want others to enforce their beliefs on me (especially other types of Christians-I hate Bible beaters). I take a very gaeanistic approach to religion, and believe that most religions are built under the same pretenses, just with different ideas, and different people teaching different ways that one is "suppose" to believe. I do see God as an energy force that flows through all things, much like chi, much like ki, much like the force in Star Wars. I dunno, it just works for me. I see nothing wrong with upholding any tradition, especially in training in ninjutsu. I do the whole ceremonial bowing in and out of class. It's very spiritual to me, offering thanks to those who came before us. If there was a cross or crucifix hanging up above our shrine, then yeah, I actually would feel a little weird about doing it. That to me is like trying to integrate a tradition and a religion and it just wouldn't work. Train because you want to, and, like everything else in life, just keep an open mind and think "outside the box". (Sorry for that last comment, I just always wanted to say that in a thread

2. Jet Jaguar

Jet Jaguar New Member

I'm a stone cold atheist also, I have absolutely no belief in the supernatural or other stories.

As far as religion in Martial arts, I study Shaolin, I learn about the tenants that helped form the moral foundation behind the martial arts. I don't see it as preaching. I would feel the same with Ninjutsu.

It's the Karate for Christ crap I won't support. The ones that preach in class and tell you about thier personal diety, those are the ones to avoid.

3. Peaceful Tiger

Peaceful Tiger Happy Member

I heard that if you mention the term, "Christian-based martial art", for your dojo in the States, you get certain tax-breaks, perhaps that's why certain martial arts groups do it. Certainly seems like they have faith in nothing more than creaming some money back from the Government.

4. Seeking Warrior

Seeking Warrior New Member

I've known several instructors who did this, both for their school and the martial arts association they belonged to. Never heard about any sort of tax break. According to the tax laws... they could only do so if they were a religious institution......which takes a lot more hoops to jump through than you'd think to prove.

5. Seeking Warrior

Seeking Warrior New Member

#1: have they SAID it's "Calling up spirits"? Try to find out specifically what it is.
    #2: Find out the literal translation for the exact words they are using....it's important.
    #3: Bowing in the east is like shaking hands in the west, little more than that. EVEN the deep bowing that's done while on the knees......it's just a more significant sign of respect.

What makes something "worship" anyway? Is it not the "intent" that one has?? Me? I'm Christian, but I know that bowing to sensei isn't worship, it's respect/thanks...etc. Does a person coming into a church off the street and participating in communion make them a Christian, conformed to the likeness of Christ?? No. They just had an insignificant snack. It's what happens in the heart that makes the difference. SO...when you "bow", don't think of it as worship... but a different culture's way of saying "thank-you". Besides, it's THAT culture (the Japanese) that is the bedrock from which the Ninja arts sprang from....so it's a Japanese paradigm that you should strive to understand, not an American or middle-easter one.

hope this gives you something to think about....