relatives as teachers

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kenpo_Iz_Active, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

Do you find it odd that relatives, parents teaching their kids aside, teach MA's? My uncle teaches me and two other students. I think its kinda weird because he sometimes comes over my house and we discuss about MA. Maybe its just me.

What do you guys and gals think?

2. SifuJason

SifuJason Valued Member

I don't find it weird at all. I teach my wife, and I imagine one day I will teach my children as well. My father and I used to train together, and we still talk MA all the time--I even give him a lesson now and then.

3. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

No, not weird at all. However, there may be higher expectations of you as you train. One of my good friend trains his entire family without any issues that I know of. I also have other friends in the arts that cannot teach their own kids due to conflicts on either side.

4. Shotokan_Andy

Shotokan_Andy Valued Member

As long as there's no conflict of interest I can't see a problem tbh

5. Kenpo_Iz_Active

Kenpo_Iz_Active Greek Warrior-not 300

yea, i guess your right. yea, my uncle does kinda expect me to train harder, but its all good, tough love, i guess.

6. lucas

lucas Valued Member

i teach my kids, but i don't swing at them when they test .

7. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

No, it's not weird. My mum, dad, uncle and aunt all do MA and it seems to be the only thing we talk about! I mean, it's constant!

8. davelee

davelee New Member

YEes

Yea its perfectly normal. The main thing is to seperate play from instruction time. Thats the hard part to Resolve.

Hey Keep Training!

9. timex

timex Valued Member

WOW!!! :eek: You are lucky!! :) :)

10. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I'm about to start teaching my daughter , and i must admit i'm quite nervous , my intention is to leave one of my assistants (who is fantastic with kids) to do the majority of correction etc for the first couple of months to try and "distance" myself a little at the dojo.

11. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Yes think it quiet a common thing with in the MA's to see family members training togather.

I do not think there is a problem at all with training members of your family, as long as other members of the class can see that all are being treated the same.

TOM

12. Rhea

Rhea Laser tag = NOT MA... Supporter

It can be quite difficult having your spouse/partner train you! Mine's only a couple of grades senior.
    Although I like training with him, I don't like it when he's actually being more of a teacher, apparently I develop a bit of an attitude problem...