Reinventing the wheel

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by garth, Jul 30, 2013.

1. garth

garth Valued Member

Just thought I would post this and try to get people views. this is phase 2 of Antony Cummins plan for Natori Ryu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoQ6kDtqZIM&feature=youtu.be"]YouTube[/ame]

Basically he seems to be saying that people who study Ninjutsu (And he means the non combat side here, although he does mention kenjutsu and taijutsu later even though ninjutsu is not a martial art:D) should be learning the strategies instead of cool tricks.

He recommends people to read books on stategy and tactics whether from the east or west. Now I agree with what he is saying in that we should learn strategies, but don't many of us already do that? and i'm talking of people in the kans now.

Ive just had a look on my bookshelf and I have books by Musashi, Sonshi, Yagyu Munenori, the Tengu Geijutsu Ron, as well as copies of western tracts such as Vegetius. In fact i have a book shelf full of books on the strategies of warfare.

Now I also know that many other people in the bujinkan and other kans also have read and studied the same and similar books, so was wondering about how many people here actually study the strategy of warfare.

You see the thought occurred to me that if we are already doing this (studying strategy by learning the classics) as well as studying Japanese armour, language, history etc, the only real difference between the kans and the Natori Ryu is that we have physical arts i.e. kenjutsu, bojutsu, yari, koppojutsu etc (Bugei Juhappan/Ninja Juhakkei) as well as the strategy and the Natori Ryu only has the strategy.

In fact whats the point of studying armour and weapons as AC recommends if your not going to learn how to actually use them properly?

Yes you might know the difference between a kama yari and a hoko yari by reading a book, but can you thrust with one and do you know the difference in how they are used. it reminds me of a spike Milligan story when he was training as a tail gunner in a bomber in WW2. Basically knowing the parts of a gun are great but as he said "No good if you have a Focke Wulf screaming down from the sun at you"

And you can only get the "How to do" bit by studying with a teacher who knows this stuff, not from reading a book.

Nice to have your thoughts on this guys. Do you read books on strategy like AC recommends and if so which ones.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Because he's masked profanity removed a waste of skin Gary

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  3. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Why give him attention? Why post urls on MAP that will increase his google ratings and other web metrics? My thoughts? Stop linking AC crap and stop mentioning his full name. When it comes to the internet, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

4. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Exactly right, ignore him and only idiots will follow him

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I can see where this is going to end up.

Given the zero tolerance warning which covers the Ninjutsu forum, I strongly suggest choosing your words carefully.

6. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I have never read a warfare strategy guide. I don't really see the point, it seems irrelevant to me. I do like playing civilisation games though and am looking forward to the new Rome total war game . Wasn't that guy from Carthage, Hannibal Barca the greatest general of all time anyway? Elephants over the alps etc..

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

In a LITERAL sense you maybe right; but conceptually there is much to be gleaned from them - It's corny but "Art of War" is a fantastic read and has a wider range of appeal and application than it's title would suggest

8. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I don't doubt that they are a wealth of info. Ideas, ways of thinking and concepts. I just think at this point in time I'll learn more by training rather than studying. I still have a load of Robin Hobb books to finish reading

9. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Poor old AC. Imagine if non "hand to hand" teachings could be passed on by "hand to hand" kata.

Oh well.

:)

10. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Nah it's simpler than that.

Train and ye shall learn. Which he never did. He just farted about in a dojo. Where IS that old clip?!?!?

11. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Times like this I miss the tag function :D

12. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

The art of war contains useful strategies for everything in life. I've found it to be pretty useful for conflict situations at work, especially when I worked as a contractor for multinational companies where there are strong political undercurrents.

Or even just when it comes to managing a simple sports club. The art of war is an extremely valuable resource for anything that requires strategy.

13. hatsie

Well I'm still of the opinion natori ryu is nothing but a smoke screen or pink elephant put up as a subterfuge for book sales, so the only thing he's reinventing is the art of selling books, kind of like if your hungry and skint, concocting some big elaborate plan about investments and company buy outs blah blah, you've 'left your wallet in the porch' " you couldn't shout this lunch?" A trivial $30 in the face of potential millions, poposterous to even contemplate the notion of being scammed for a pitance, BUT it's all about that $30! Lol

Witnessed two big shot sales guys get conned out of a nights worth of drink buying one time lol)
    As for the strategy, isn't that not already incorporated via kuddn from the ryuha?

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Your kata contain the strategic elements of the ryu-ha.

If you are learning them correctly then you are being taught the hyoho of your ryu.

15. hatsie

Is there an echo in here? :D

16. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

he looks like he should be in take that

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

You owe me another Coke and a new screen.

:D

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

hahahaha

19. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

Coke is a powder so it should brush off dean

20. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Agree that the Japanese and Chinese military and political treatise are directly applicable to all sorts of situations as are the lessons taught via kata/kuden etc in our arts

However, I've found the western versions to be just as useful, essentially covering similar points/principles and more easily accessible for westerners