REAL muggers and real self-defence....

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KIWEST, Jun 30, 2010.

1. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

C'mon, SeongIn. I said if someone was starving they might resort to cannibalism. But such a small snack as you've suggested would hardly fill the growing void in the pit of their stomach, now would it? :evil: :jester: :banana:

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Bait maybe for on a Friday

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Nice Post

4. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

You should walk a mile in their shoes, then you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

5. Moi

LOL. So very relevant

6. 47MartialMan

Or you could walk a mile for a Camel

7. Moi

Not my brand but I would. I'd do it for a match for the camel

8. 47MartialMan

Are you familiar with the old ad?

[​IMG]

9. Moi

Never seen it but I had heard of the saying.

10. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

And here I was thinking you were making a joke about using a match to LIGHT the friggin cigarette. :confused:

Not even gonna mention all the old "foreign legion" jokes concerning camels. :p

11. Moi

I was and I have. Wasn't joking though. I'd walk 10 miles

12. askura

askura Valued Member

I just wanted to add a few comments just so people are aware of the dangers of muggings.

I've been jumped a few times due to the nature of my previous employment. The martial arts style I have used for years now is a mixture of freestyle Karate and Jeet Kune Do. I'm a confident guy, of 5'10 height. (Yeah short I know)

The only times I have actually been targeted for mugging have been when I'm somewhere very unfamiliar and obviously not a local. I.e. Asia etc when I'm a British national.

If you're going to get mugged. You have no time to think, just react. The first time I came across someone who intended to mug me was when I was walking down the street very late at night.

They stepped out of the alley and immediately slashed at me with a parang, I was lucky to react in the way that I did and I brought my left arm up to guard my face. The obvious intent was to slash my face, and either blind or maim me so I would be very easy to deal with. Instead the parang cut straight into my arm and stuck in the bone. When I brought my arm away, the parang came with it. It damn well hurt. Luckily enough for me though, the guy ran away after losing his weapon.

The second incident was very similar, and as I was about to walk around the corner at the end of the block I spotted a shoe tip poking out. At 3am I was naturally suspicious and as I slowed my attack span round the corner and lashed out with a knife. He stabbed straight away at me, and as he did I attempted to disarm him, which resulting in the blade slicing into my palm. As at that point we were face to face, I punched him in the throat then stepped through with a leg sweep. I quickly backed away and began to call an ambulance as I was bleeding heavily. My attacker once back on his feet, notability much more wary and out of breath, retreated.

I really didn't enjoy the second meeting of steel and flesh. My little finger was almost completely chopped off.

In both cases I was incredibly lucky to be able to react in that way, especially with the second encounter as if I had not have had that slight warning to cause me to think defensively I would been stabbed, and possibly killed. No doubt about it. I don't have superhuman reactions, I'm not amazing at the martial arts I do, however training those responses in you will never do you more harm than good.

You should however recognize that if given the choice, always hand over your valuables. If you want to consider any other option, it should be running, not fighting.

In regards to the way they fought, one instance was in the UK and the other was in Malaysia. BOTH attackers fought in a very similar way. Once the element of surprise was lost and the advantage of a weapon was nullified they backed away. They both attacked without hesitation and without any consideration for my health and the damage they could have inflicted (And did).

In other UK related ones, I have been attacked before while walking home, but I had been keeping my wits about me, and knew they had been following me for awhile, and when they made an aggressive action towards me, I retaliated. In most instances, that did cause them to strike at me, and they weren't windmilling or throwing their arms about in an ineffective manner.

They fought like you would in a brawl, sharp heavy jabs, head butting and choking. Where as I responded with fast quick punches until I could use something more effective.

The people who choose to fight you in the street may or may not be good fighters. They may or may not have great techniques, but be very aware that some of them know how to throw a punch, may be stronger than you and may be willing to inflict a lot more damage that you would ever do.

Anyway, this essay needs closing so I'll end it with this.

If you really have to fight, hurt. Gouge, bite, scratch and whatever it takes. ANYWHERE is fair game. Try not to grapple with people if they are bigger than you, grappling can quickly turn into a contest of strength, and if that is the case you may quickly lose any advantage you may have. Especially if there is more than one attacker.

13. 47MartialMan

I agree with the highlighted-bold

14. askura

askura Valued Member

I'm surprised someone actually took the time to read through what I had written. It was rather long winded heh.

15. 47MartialMan

I did. Post away, I look forward to reading your posts :cool:

16. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

I suppose that in the UK, a smoker might say "I'd walk a mile for a fag!', but that would means something entirely different in the States of course! :D

17. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Sounds like you wanna change your job! Either that, or be a bit more aware when you're out and about. ;)

18. 47MartialMan

Some areas of a city-yes!

19. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I nearly got arrested in Toronto for asking a policeman where I could get some fags. Luckily his neighbour was Scottish and explained to him what I was actually asking. I was only 16 at the time.

20. Moi

I can only imagine the hole you could have dug for yourself there.