Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Generally, when one says you are a tool, it means people can just take you and use you for whatever purpose they want too, at least from what I have seen.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

:cool:

I am familiar with the Urban Slang. I was wondering how did it relate to anything insulting

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Ah, my apologies. Sorry about that.

4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

No need to.

I like etymology. And the slang at the turn of the century is interesting

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

A tool, I would assume the etymological base is the insinuation that one is not fit to determine the course of ones own life and actions. What I find far more interesting is just how rare it is to find an insult that isn't related to religion or sex. This clearly causes it to stand out.

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Ones 'tool' is what one uses to reproduce oneself, assuming that one is of the male persuasion.

7. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Only if one has access to a 'toolbox' of course.

8. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

In terms of creating new members (of the family) then that is correct. However, the tool does function admirably even when there is no toolbox available. (Hence the term 'hand tool'.)

9. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

If I was acting in legitimate self-defence I wouldn't consider myself to have "failed as a human being". On the other hand, if I had provoked or escalated the encounter to the point of physical altercation, yes, that would be a failure on my part.

If it was possible to talk your way out of all violent situations then Hannibal wouldn't need to carry a gun would he? He could simply use his natural charm and sparkling wit to invite offenders into his patrol car :D

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Truth be told, anything that will make you survive is key. No forms, no reasoning when your life is on the line. If surviving means clucking like a chicken and crossing to the other side then that is what has to be done. If my sister or my wife had to bite someone's head off to survive then so be it.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Penn Jillettte once avoided a fight by pouring a milkshake over his own head

12. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

It seems most of the population of MAP are either very naive or live a very sheltered life. Not all fights end up with someone maimed or dead, not all fights get reported as assaults for statistics for you guys to look up online.

13. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i wish i lived a sheltered life.

14. CrowZer0

Likewise, ignorance is bliss.

15. Hannibal

Even taking a stance that only 50% get reported (and it is probably not that extreme, but lets's run with it) the rounded up statistic is still only 3% chance, so it is still hardly "The Warriors" is it?

16. CrowZer0

I'd rather not guess at numbers like 50% A lot of fights are just a few punches before people are pulled apart, I saw two guys pop off for no reason at KFC last week. They threw a few punches, people pulled them off, they swore at each other and walked away. You get a lot of these occurrences, I really doubt either of them called the police or filed assault.

17. Hannibal

Chances are someone did though - we get a lot of "two guys going at it" calls that get recorded as stats even if there is nothing to deal with upon arrival

The point with teh stats is that they are guidleines, and like I said, even if only around half get reported it is still a very low percentage occurence

18. CrowZer0

Taking into consideration the statistics you provided above, 900k/62 mil in 2008 is nearly 1/60 Those are the reported assaults, so I'm guessing a little more serious. Taking into consideration the population of children, and very elderly. That number does seem quite high, especially when there are concentrated regions with more cases of assault that other locations.

Most people I know who have been involved in an attack of some sort wouldn't report it unless it was very drastic or life threatening, I know I never have.

19. Hannibal

Without getting too bogged down in stats it is still rare

Most people never encounter interpersonal violence. This is beyond argument.

However, the fact is that you need to prepare for it in the same way you would prepare for a fire or a car accident so that is you do fall into the small group that it occurs in you do not come up short

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Seems an odd conclusion to make when most members were obviously not taking this thread seriously at all.