Real Life Fight

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Demain, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As for me...it prepares me for the Z-Day apocalypse

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As I've said before - 99% of the time you may be fine. It's the 1% I'm concerned about. Would you bet your life on it? Worse yet, and God forbid, would you bet the lives of your kids on it?

I once attended a seminar by a former officer who was stressing the importance of carrying off duty at all times. This poor man was in church with his son and had left his firearm at home when an active shooter entered and began opening fire on the parishioners. You can only imagine how he felt as he held his dying son in his arms. He blames his inattention (the man was loitering outside of the church in a long jacket on a very hot day) and his lack of preparedness for why that incident went the way it did. Could he have changed things? It's impossible to say. However, I do know that the pain he feels every day is nothing I ever want to feel.

I just hope for your sake and for your family's sake that nothing ever happens to you Kid Moe.

3. Hannibal

The second my dept allows carries off-duty is the second my Glock is on my hip.

Until then I carry at least two non-ballistic (usually a kubotan and a blade, but often two or more blades).

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LhWszygOk"]Cell Phone w/ Anti Theft device - YouTube[/ame]

improv! improv!

5. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

You carry what? :jawdrop:

6. Hannibal

My EDC is typically a CRKT M16-14LE, but it does vary. I also always have either a kubotan or koga on me.

[​IMG]

Koga

[​IMG]

Kubotan

[​IMG]

I also wear one of these on occasion

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  7. Kid Moe

If this wasn't a joke, and I hope that it was, I take back what I said about realizing that you are maybe not as paranoid as I thought you were.

You are extremely paranoid and I would even dare say somewhat disturbed individual. You carry blades when you go out?! LOL! You are 38 man! Grow up! You live in Calgary Canada not Sparta! What movie are you in? Carrying blades?! Damn, you should have said this at the beginning. Would have spared me some writing... :)

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Guess I'm more paranoid then, since I'm a fan of the Second Amendment of the US Constitution and carry a firearm everywhere I legally can.

9. Hannibal

The asinine insults are not even worth repsonding to so I won't.

I carry for what I may need to do, whether that is cutting a seatbelt (had to do that twice), open a box or something more sinister. The koga/kubotan are for glass breaks (again three times so far) or subduing someone for an off-duty apprehension (in my 13 year career I have arrested 18 people off-duty)

10. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Don't even bother. If all the ostrich does is keep his head in the sand, he'll never understand what the sun looks like.

11. Kid Moe

I did not mean to insult you.

I like how quickly you switch to cutting seat belts and braking glass from cutting people for instance... You said "Until my dept. lets me carry a fire arm I will carry one or more blades". So once you are allowed to carry a firearm you will shoot off seat belts with it?! YOU DO NOT carry a knife for that purpose and do not try to insult my intelligence with statements like that. Its clear what you meant to say in your previous statement! You carry a knife for self defense! That means that you are ready to stab someone you perceive as a threat. That scares me! What if all people started to do that? Who is to draw a line on what constitutes as a threat?!

12. Hannibal

You will notice there is a third reason I added so try and R-E-A-D before responding with hyperbolic nonsense

I notice a massive silence on the koga and kubotan...strange

13. Kid Moe

Where do you mention saving lives? After I said that you are paranoid for carrying blades you started talking about seat belts and breaking glass... Typical rationalizing of your original statement. Probably your last refuge...

And you saying that you carry two or more blades is obviously for cutting different fabrics of seat belts... You really insult my intelligence...

14. Kid Moe

I do not understand what you mean by this...

15. Kid Moe

One final comment as I did not stress my point clear enough (I am more a verbal kind of guy). It is perfectly understandable that you as a LEO carry a firearm while off duty. In my country they all do that. Even while off duty you can be involved in a situation where you will need to react and possibly arrest/apprehend someone. But you are, at least for now, forbidden to carry a firearm so you carry two or more knives? That shows your level of paranoia... You will not subdue or apprehend anyone with a knife. You cannot stand and say "Stop or I will throw knives!". All you can do is stab someone you perceive as a threat and I guarantee that you carry them for self defense as you clearly stated (until they allow me to carry a firearm, bla bla)... That is normal? What do you do as LEO when you stop someone and he is carrying two kitchen knives for instance? Say "Oh, carry on dear Sir". No. You arrest him! What is your excuse? That you are a LEO? So you are allowed to carry knives? LOL! In your own little "watch dog, always on the look out, dangerous world' that might seem normal but it ain't. People shouldn't carry knives when they go out, period! That makes them dangerous and more likely to hurt someone. I cannot believe that I even have to explain this... ccc...

16. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Believe it or not Kid Moe, a knife is a tool as much as it is a weapon. As long as it's legal to carry, Hanibal doesn't need a reason, but he's given you one anyway. When he refers to seatbelt cutting and glass breaking I'm confident he refers to helping people trapped in cars after an accident. As for the Kubotan/Koga and "off duty apprehension" - I'm not versed in Canadian law but Hannibal may well have an obligation to act (even when off duty) if he sees a crime being committed. Even if he doesn't, I see no problem with a responsible person carrying any of these items. If he can use these to assist others or apprehend someone who requires it - so much the better.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  17. Kid Moe

Exactly! Who is to say who is a reasonable person?! You?! Do not make me laugh...

Regarding him being a LEO may only have connection to carrying a firearm DEFINITELY not two or three knives. And I am sure that he is obliged to stop any felony he sees even when off duty. Well at least he should do that. But him carrying around non ballistic arsenal with him is just not normal! Whats next? Shurikens? Katana? You will say Moe is using hyperbole again but is that so? If I were to carry two or three knives, who am I to judge someone for carrying a sword? He just wants to help people...

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm surprised this whole convo has gotten so snipey. Jeebus.

Carrying a knife isn't that big of a deal. In my parents generation most men carried a pocket knife. In fact getting your own pocket knife at around 10 or 11 was a coming of age thing... not long after followed by a BB gun or air rifle. Could depend on where everyone's from... but I'm surprised that carrying a knife is such a big, bad deal to people. :confused:

As long as your within your county/states regulations on length and mechanism... you don't need and 'excuse' to carry a knife. :rolleyes:

19. Kid Moe

Agreed. I have a pocket knife in my car. Swiss army POCKET knife which I use to unscrew something, cut something, open something, etc. I do not carry it with me when I go out for a night in town and I especially do not carry two or three knives. Why would you actually carry two or three knives? What is your reasonable explanation? Do not speak about tools and try to rationalize what Hanibbal said. He is capable to stand ground and he was clear stating why he is carrying knives around although now you all try to rationalize with cutting belts and other ridiculous reasons.

20. Hannibal

If you are this clueless we have nothing more to say to each other. Nothing I have said is inconsistent but once again you have shown your lack of comprehension.

I also find it laughable that you consider lethal force something that is acceptable if restricted to one tool or that possession indicates a desire to deploy.

I don't burn my house down to use my extinguiser or crash a car to show off my airbags. I may as well accuse you of being a potential rapist...you have all the equipment on you after all